Canadian Stockpiling Tips-Saving Money in the Budget!

Every couponer knows that the key to long-term savings is building a successful stockpiling of everyday essentials.

Having a variety of items on hand that you paid rock bottom prices for helps eliminate those last-minute, unplanned trips to the grocery store.

Stockpiling is not as difficult as it seems and don’t be set-back or intimidated when you see those TV shows on TLC The Learning Channel).

We can’t stockpile with coupons to the mass extent they do in the USA but stockpiling in Canada can be done.

When you don’t stockpile on everyday products this is where you could end up paying full price. Here are a few tips to help you start, and maintain, a functional stockpile in your own home.

More Savings for the Budget Canada- Are you listening?

Plan before you purchase

The first thing you want to do if you are considering stockpiling products is to plan out what you would like to stock, as well as how long you would like it to last.A good stockpile will go a long way if you plan out your shops.

For example, if you would like to stockpile laundry detergent enough to last 6 months, you want to look at how many loads of laundry your family does in a typical week, and figure out how many you need to get you through that time period. No more!

Designate a storage space

The last thing you want is to end up with a fantastic stockpiling plan that just wont fit in your pantry. Be aware of space restrictions, and shop accordingly. There is no need to become one of those people you see on TV storing BBQ sauce under their child’s bed.

Create a grocery price list

Compile a grocery price list of items you would like to stockpile and record the absolute lowest price you see it at. This way you have a point of reference to know if you should stock an item at the current price, or if you know it will eventually get cheaper.

Stockpiling is all about the pricing so knowing your prices is the absolute most important tip.

Keep an inventory list of items in your stockpile

Letting something expire without being used because you forgot you had it is literally throwing money away.Most times people buy more than they need or they completely forgot they have certain products and they get pushed to the back of the pile. Make sure you rotate your stock to keep the products fresh.

Keep an inventory list of what you have on hand, how many, and the expiry dates in order to avoid food waste. Use your inventory listing to write a menu plan so you know everything will be used in time.

Invest in a freezer

This obviously optional but for a truly successful stockpile being able to store freezable items (meat, fruits, veggies, etc.) is extremely beneficial.

Make sure when stockpiling you only grow your stash your inventory to suit your plans.  If you get a larger freezer than necessary you will end up using the money you saved on groceries to pay an unnecessarily large hydro bill.

Related: A list of foods we freeze to save money

Follow these tips and you will be well on your way to saving through stockpiling.

This was a special post contributed to CBB by Julia.

Are You New To Canadian Budget Binder?

• Follow Me on Social media by clicking any of the buttons below on the blog.
  • Don’t forget to Subscribe to Canadian Budget Binder by Email to get my daily email. Once you subscribe you MUST VERIFY your email account so check your spam folder and inbox for that email!
  • Check out my new Free Recipe Index
  • If you like FREE then click this link for my FREE Excel Budget Spreadsheet and all my Free Money Saving Lists.

Related Posts

1. canadianmdinvestor says:

OK, the question I have to ask!!! COSTCO???

Is it heaven on earth for the you, or the devil’s spawn?

I visit Costco, weekly. As you know, most grocery items are packaged in “multiples”, perfect for stockpiling. My problem, is that even then, it is too much. End up, eventually discarding some. Although the price per item is less, I wonder how much I saved in the long run.

Finally, in addition to the has of product, the question the develops into, is the $40 membership worth it?

For a little conversation 😉

• Hi,
      I actually don’t shop at Costco so I wouldn’t be able to give you any of those answers. Maybe some of the readers can help out with an answer. Let’s see.. Mr.CBB Thanks for your post.

• rain4ever says:

You need to know your prices when you shop at costco. Some things are cheaper but some are not when you factor in sales and coupons.

2. Margaret Hirst says:

I haven’t been in Costco for a few years, ever since I became an empty nester, However I always over spent my spending budget when I went in there. I would go in with $100 to spend and ended up spending 3X that amount. I believe if your not throwing away any of it it’s a good deal…

• Hi, Thanks for your comment. Sure if you know you will use the items you purchase at Costco and you know it’s the best deal around, go for it. We stock up on items when they go on sale especially one’s that don’t have coupons or aren’t on sale often. This actually blows our budget but that’s ok because 1- we have the emergency money and 2- we will be buying it now on sale or later at full price and we choose on sale. Thanks again for reading and commenting at Canadian Budget Binder! Mr.CBB

3. sjdathome says:

Good tips….still struggling with whether to stockpile or not.

• It’s a personal choice. We don’t really stockpile food per say, some items yes but yes we do stock pile Health and Beauty and Laundry/cleaning Supplies. I’m not going to turn down Laundry soap at $9.97 on sale for $3.99- $3.00 coupon and .50 overage from free toothpaste paying Oop $0.50 for a huge jug of laundry soap ( plus tax) but still, yes that’s worth it. You have to know what is right for your family to stockpile. Cheers and thanks for your comment. Mr.CBB

4. shelley says:

It was about this time last year that I was informed of the peanut shortage and that peanut butter would skyrocket. I therefore stockpiled this item as it has a long shelf life and my family goes through ALOT of peanut butter. It was called the wall of peanut butter! I still have some left and at $2/1kg jar of Kraft vs the $6.49 regular cost that it is now. Yes last week it was on sale for $3.33 and I saw people going crazy for that price!

• A classic case of if you know your family will use it and it’s on sale then grab it. I saw a family with a people carrier (minivan) the other day at no frills and it was stocked to the max.. with items on sale .. I had never seen anything like it. I assume they know a good deal and stockpile the foods their family enjoy. I heard that about the PB and we keep a few jars on hand for the exchange students to try as we don’t really eat it much ourselves. The price did go up significantly.. Cheers Mr.CBB

5. Great stockpiling tips! Thanks!

6. Great stockpiling tips thanks!

7. We do stockpile food. I try to have enough that we could get by for three months. (Three months of healthy eating, not three months of fancy eating.) I can and freeze fruit, vegetables, seafood and game when they are in season. I can protein on an on going basis, I stock our pantry with dry goods and our freezer with meats, cheese and dairy products. There are some tricks to managing this well: Know what you have. Keep and inventory. Use your stocks in rotation and replenish them as you go. Be aware of the costs involved and budget for them on an ongoing basis. Don’t put by what you wouldn’t normally eat.

• The last part, “don’t buy what you wouldn’t normally eat” was what we did and why we had so much waste or had to give it away. We were using coupons to buy food, new food to try out.. and you know we never got through it. We are not box type food eaters.. so we stopped. It’s been much easier ever since.

8. I like to stockpile stuff for my husband – his tastes don’t change, so buying boxes of cereal for under $2 (and often enough, more like $1.25-1.50), big blocks of cheese for under $3, apple juice, shampoo, toilet paper, etc., is worth it. If I can provide my husband with a breakfast for under $1 every morning (cereal with milk, and apple juice – not to mention his daily vitamin that costs less than $0.05 a day if anything at all), I’m pleased. When I realize I’m low on something finally, it shocks me and I refuse to buy it again until it is on sale and hopefully with a coupon.

9. Cynthia says:

A freezer was my first investment! Meat on sale for a $1.99 tastes better than 4.99 a pound.