With most families having both parents working outside the home in Canada convenience in the kitchen seems to be the way to go. Take-out Pizza is on the menu at least once a week and that’s the day parents can simply chill out and get some backlogged house work done or spend time with the family.
Is spending over $1000 a year on pizza worth it and at what cost?
What other conveniences foods or items do we want in our Kitchen?
*Prepared Food or Spice Packets
Since trying to lower our overall budgeting costs we wanted to find ways to keep the budget with-in reach. Let’s look at Spices and those prepared packets we all buy.
How many of you have bags and bottles of spices thrown in a drawer or a cupboard?
That’s right I’m talking to you.. I know you are shaking your head saying yes I’m guilty! That’s ok we used to be as well.
I’m betting most of your spices are outdated or stale because you don’t use them often enough. The price of convenience reels you in and the spices fade into non-existence.
Reasons why people don’t use spices and opt for Packets
- They are not organized in a cupboard or drawer
Last year Mrs.CBB and I found we had so many spices but struggled to keep them organized in the cupboard. Our favourite cook, Chef Michael Smith on the Food Network Canada gave us an idea! Spices in Mason Jars! Now we only wish we had the same pantry as him!
- Convenience of packaged spices made for a meal is quick
- You don’t own the correct spices or any spices
You don’t need to have a chef’s cupboard of spices but you do need to have the one’s you will need most often. Researching your favourite recipes and noting the spices you would commonly use is important to saving money.
* Growing Herbs in Canada is so easy and inexpensive. If you are an avid gardener you can easily grow spices and dry them for off-season use. If you end up with too much basil for example you can process it and freeze it in a cupcake pan or ice cube trays then put them in freezer bags.
* You may also find purchasing spices on-line from Silk Road Spices or other sites a cheaper alternative!
*Take advantage of any coupons to your local bulk store and purchase your most used spices from the bulk store
Organization is Important- When they look pretty your mind tells you to use them!
- Your spices are not correctly labelled- We labelled our Jars with labels that we purchased at the grocery store or you can order custom spice labels.
There you have it Canada! Save yourself some money in the budget, get organized in the Kitchen. With a little homework you can make your time in the kitchen more efficient and easy on the budget!
Are you NEW to Canadian Budget Binder?
If you are new Start here!
Do you have a Question for Mr.CBB please click HERE to ask him!
Are you on Mr.CBB’s Blog Roll? Check HERE… if not and you want me to check out your blog and add you to my ever-growing blog roll simply click here and fill out the form. Introduce yourself and lets LINK UP!
- How we designed our Budget Step 1 (canadianbudgetbinder.com)
- Using Vinegar to Clean up your Budget (canadianbudgetbinder.com)
- Ten Ways to Cut your Grocery Budget (canadianbudgetbinder.com)
- Canadian Stockpiling Tips (canadianbudgetbinder.com)
- How Much Should My Grocery Budget Be? (canadianbudgetbinder.com)
Photo Credits :Copyright (c) <a href=’http://www.123rf.com’>123RF Stock Photos</a>