Spring is in the Air! We’ve been waking up to windows open and the sun beaming down on us in our bed with the birds chirping a beautiful song for a couple of weeks now. You know it’s time to get up when all the familiar sounds, sights and smells engulf your space. Visions of cleaning our home inside and out, top to bottom, fill our heads as I’m sure it does yours. Winter is nice to chill out watching a movie by the fire, so what you shovel here and there but the term “lazy winter” is what it is!
The first day of Spring quickly came upon us yesterday March 20 but for weeks now the weather has been more than cooperative all over Canada and the USA. As the snow began to melt the unsightly landscaping of surrounding houses reminded us that this year was our year~ We await the flowers to bloom and the bees to jump about in their glory.
This year is the year we are not only tackling our “Spring Cleaning” chores but have to landscape our property before the wildlife mistake it for their new home. We will also be using “Vinegar” , baking soda and lemons as our main choice of cleaning solution instead of costly alternatives.
We’ve spent the last 2 weeks planning and then planting our vegetable seedlings for our frugal garden. We’ve also gotten a head start with our potted flower plants which are ready to soak up the rays. It’s amazing how quickly some sunshine and thoughts of flowers can brighten anyone’s day.
The Planning Process of Spring Cleaning
We start by writing up a spring cleaning check-list of what needs to get done room by room to make sure no jobs are missed. It will be much easier if you plan this way so you can rid of any clutter that you don’t need. You also don’t waste time because we all know that time is money.
- Remove all plants outdoors
- Clean the blinds
- sweep the floor
- wash the floor
- wash the windows and ledge
- dust the ceiling
Top Spring Cleaning Chores List
- Rake any left over leaves from the lawn
- Clear the gardens of any dead plants and trim the old ones
- Wash the windows inside and out
- Sweep out the garage and re-organize
- Moving Furniture and cleaning behind it
- Cleaning out vents
- Tune up the lawn mower
- Clean all the blinds and window treatments
- Scrub the garage floor
- Bring Drapes to Dry Cleaners
- Turn over the flower beds
- Clean out the sun room/patio room/solarium
- Take out all the summer furniture to the deck
- Hook up the rain barrel
- Turn on the outside taps
- Flip the mattresses
- Spring Clean all the ceiling fans
- Clear out the gutters of any materials
- Clean down the garage door
- Pack away all winter items
- Clean all patio furniture
- Clean the outside lights
- Paint the doors and some rooms in the house
- De-clutter the inside of the home
- Remove snow tires and replace with All Season
- Clean the inside and outside of vehicles
- Put up the clothes drying umbrella
How to Organize your STUFF
This list can go on and on and I’m sure you are rhyming off other items you can add to my list. The reality is we need to keep on top of these chores to maintain our home inside and out. Our home is our Kingdom and a costly one at that so it’s imperative we keep it in top shape.
Maintaining the Outside of your Home- Money in your Pocket!
Keep in mind all tasks aren’t necessarily meant for the home-owner. It’s great to save a buck but it’s not cool to break a back. Injury= Loss of wages because you might not be able to work and will have to seek short or long-term disability payments. Safety First!
If you are trying to keep costs low do the maintenance you know how to and contract out what you cannot. Meaning if cleaning windows on your multi- story home looks unsafe, it probably is. If you do your research and check referrals I’m sure you will come up with businesses who are professionals in your area.
Some folks don’t realize that simple upkeep can mean the difference of list price and selling price when it’s time to sell. What’s stopping you from spending $75.00 to maintain your wood fence so it doesn’t fall apart?
If you know you need the money, you need to budget it for it all year-long! Don’t wait until it’s time to pay and put it on credit costing you a fortune in interest if you don’t pay it right away. Simply ignoring the work you have to do will not make it all go away. What will go away is the $$$ you would have made!
First Impressions count so make it happen! The exterior of your home is just as important as the interior and the Exterior can Increase your home’s market value. You don’t want to be that home-owner who is scratching their head wondering why has my house not sold?
Would you rather pay $3000 for a new wood fence?
If your roof has done its time- get a new one!
Don’t be lazy, get off the couch, turn off the tele, put away the video games, and go out and enjoy the sun. Get the entire family involved by designating chores and working as a team to get the jobs completed.
Check Items for Sale On-line before buying NEW
If there are items you see you need check your local freecycle or kijiji first before heading to the big box store. You will be shocked at what people are selling in the spring and summer time for a fraction of the cost. Money saved is money back in your pocket!
Use this handy Spring Cleaning Checklist by Martha Stewart to help guide you on your way to a Spring Filled Clean Home. Also check out the free downloadable money saving tools I have here at Canadian Budget Binder to help make your life a little bit easier.
You will be happy you did and happy to show it off to your mates!
Cheers.. Now I’m off to tackle that Spring Cleaning list!
Are you NEW to Canadian Budget Binder?
- You can Follow Canadian Budget Binder on Twitter or Facebook and Pinterest.
- You can also subscribe to Canadian Budget Binder so you don’t miss a blog post. Fill in your email address on the HOME page of the blog off to the left where it says “Subscribe Via Email”
Cleaning, outside worker, lemon, box and notebook Photo Courtesy of: 123RF
All other photos are copyright Canadian Budget Binder 2012 and cannot be used without explicit permission by the owner of this site.
- Shopping Tips We Use To Save Money (canadianbudgetbinder.com)
- Dumpster Diving~The Top 5 Rules For Finding The Good Free Stuff! (canadianbudgetbinder.com)
- How I Turned My Passion and Skills Into Making Extra Money (canadianbudgetbinder.com)
- The A-Z Of Saving Money E-Book-A to Zero Excuses! (canadianbudgetbinder.com)
- Mr.CBB’s Orange Ricotta Pound Cake Topped With Yogurt Amaretto Whipped Cream (canadianbudgetbinder.com)
- How I Reduced Our Grocery Budget From $1100 To $600 In 6 Months (canadianbudgetbinder.com)