You are bustling getting everything sorted for Easter Dinner that you forget about Good Friday and the meatless meal you may have to tackle. Although our Easter Dinner in the Crock pot will be quick and simple and stay with-in budget we needed something special for Good Friday.
What is Good Friday?
Good Friday is a religious holiday observed primarily by Christians reflecting on the crucifixion of Jesus Christ and his death. The Holiday is observed the Friday preceding Easter Sunday and may coincide with the Jewish Passover. You can read the entire story here.
Being that the wife is Catholic they have a day of fasting on Friday meaning they eat smaller meals and no meat. I thought it would be a great idea to come up with a recipe for this Good Friday to share with the family. Even if you are not celebrating this dish is remarkable in flavour and can be eaten any time of day breakfast, lunch and dinner any time of the year.
This recipe may be used with any white fish, here I chose Pollock smothered with a garlic lemon butter sauce on Basmati Rice with Red Lentils. This fish would taste great paired with a nice bottle of White Wine Gewürztraminers from Niagara Falls, Ontario.
Mr.CBB and Happy Easter!
Lightly Fried Fish With Carlic, Lemon Butter On A Bed Of Rice And Lentils
- Time: 1hr total
- Cost: $7.75 at $1.93 per person with 4 pieces of fish each.
- Large Frying Pan
- Dish for dredging fish
- Rice Cooker
Prep: Start by washing 2 cups of basmati rice to get some of the starch off of it. Add 2 cups of the washed rice and 2 cups of water to the rice cooker along with a teaspoon of salt, and a teaspoon of olive oil and stir. Turn to Cook
- Cook 1 cup of red lentils until tender but not mushy then rinse under cold water.
- 2 cups of basmati rice- see rice cooker instructions above
- 1 cup of red lentils cooked until tender but not mushy then rinsed under cold water.
- 6 cloves of garlic chopped fine
- 2 carrots cut in small pieces
- 2 stalk celery cut in pieces
- 1/4 cup of chicken broth
- 2 fresh tomatoes diced
- 1 med onion chopped
- 2 table spoons Tumeric
- 1 tablespoon salt- add more if needed
- 1 table-spoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon of ginger (dry) or 1 tablespoon fresh
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- In the frying pan add the olive oil, garlic,onions sauté for 2 minutes or until the onions are tender then add the carrots and celery, tomatoes and lentils. Saute this on medium for about 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth, and all the spices and mix thoroughly for about 30 seconds
- Add in the rice and stir fry it quickly for about 2 minutes until heated through
- Taste to make sure the flavour is perfect to your taste.
- 1 pkg of Frozen or Fresh White Fish of your choice about 16 pieces
- 1 cup White Flour
- 2 tablespoons butter to fry fish
Spices for Flour- Mix the spices in the flour for flavour
- Teaspoon salt
- Teaspoon pepper
- Tablespoon Dry Parsley
- 1 tablespoon of Dry Dill
Spices for Fish- sprinkle on each piece
- Sprinkle of salt
- Pinch pepper
- Pinch of paprika
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 fresh lemon juice
- Pinch of salt
- Teaspoon pepper
- 6 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- Dredge each piece of fish in the flour and lightly coat. Sit each piece on a plate until ready to fry. Once you are ready to fry add the butter to the pan and sauté the fish for 2 minutes on each side. The fish will cook quickly so make sure your rice is complete and ready to go.
- Once you have finished frying the fish in the same pan add ingredients for the lemon, garlic, butter sauce. Add all ingredients but the lemon juice, stir for one minute on med-high temp. I add the lemon juice at the last-minute.
- Serve the sauce over top of the fish and add a bed of rice to the side of the plate or under the fish.
- Mr.CBB’s Cheesy Ricotta Ball Soup (canadianbudgetbinder.com)
- Mr.CBB’s Shrimp, Rapini and Radicchio Penne Pasta In A Creamy Pesto Sauce (canadianbudgetbinder.com)
- Mr.CBB’s Stuffed Crepes With Lemon, Sugar And Yogurt (canadianbudgetbinder.com)
- Mr.CBB’s Orange Ricotta Pound Cake Topped With Yogurt Amaretto Whipped Cream (canadianbudgetbinder.com)
- Mr.CBB’s Crock-Pot Pulled Pork With Homemade BBQ Sauce (canadianbudgetbinder.com)
- Mr. CBB’s Crispy Chicken Parmigiana On Garlic Mashed Potatoes (canadianbudgetbinder.com)
Easter Photo Courtesy of: 123RF