When the hot weather approaches Mrs. CBB and I have an incessant urge to eat lots more vegetables and fresh salads and this tangy easy guacamole is no exception. I first fell in love with guacamole after tasting the Indian version while in India a few years back. My recipe is not near as fancy as the Avocado Raita nor as authentic as the Mexican version but it’s tasty and is just as addictive. There are many reasons to eat more avocados if not for the high fat content(14.1 g of fat in a half avocado-mostly unsaturated with 2 grams saturated) but for the heart healthy vitamins.
I like to serve my guacamole with tortilla chips, fresh-cut vegetables or on my homemade whole wheat tortillas (I promise you will never buy them again they are so easy to make), which I will be sharing with you shortly. Guacamole is a relatively frugal dip to make with the real cost coming from the avocados running about $1.25 each or cheaper depending where you buy them. We picked up a pack of 6 for $2.99 on the reduced rack last week so we’ve been making this guacamole recipe over and over for about $4.10. With BBQ season in our face and backyard parties filling up the calendar this dip is easy on the budget and perfect for any gathering or potluck.
Yield: about 3 cups
Serves: 3-4 people
Prep Time:20 minutes
1/2 cup of diced red onion
2 ripe avocados halved,seeded and scooped
1 medium tomato diced
salt to taste
pepper to taste
Juice of 1 fresh lemon
Juice of 1 fresh lime
4 cloves of garlic chopped fine
2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon of cumin
1 cup sour cream + dollop for the top for presentation (we use Fat-Free)
Chives for on top of the sour cream for presentation
1/4 cup of fresh chopped cilantro
- In a bowl mash the avocados with a fork but keep them a bit chunky.
- Add in the oil,onions,garlic,lemon and lime juice and stir
- In a bowl add the sour cream, cumin, salt, pepper stir together
- Add the sour cream mix to the chunky avocado you mashed
- Add in the cilantro and tomatoes then gently stir to combine
- Top with a dollop of sour cream and chopped chives
- Let the ingredients meld together for 30 minutes for best flavour
Enjoy your Guacamole Dip!… and don’t miss my whole wheat tortilla recipe… it’s perfect with this dip!
Check out all My other frugal recipes that I have prepared for you and subscribe to my blog to get all the latest money-saving blog posts via email.
You can always join me on ………
Photo Credit: Mr.CBB
- How to Make Grilled Guacamole (blogher.com)
- Mr.CBB’s Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Raisin Cowboy Quickies! (canadianbudgetbinder.com)
- Help Stock My Pantry To Save Money And Make Healthy Meals? (canadianbudgetbinder.com)
- How To Get the Most Out Of Frugal,Easy Cooking! (canadianbudgetbinder.com)
- Mr.CBB’s Hot Chip Burger Buttie- $1.32 Per Serving (canadianbudgetbinder.com)
- Mr.CBB’s Cold Tuna Pasta Salad With A Kick $4.25~ (canadianbudgetbinder.com)