Cucumbers and radish in the summer almost go together naturally,at least for us.Toss in some fresh mint and a lemon garlic dressing and you have a salad fit for any occasion that won’t dig into your pocket-book. It also looks elegant in a fancy serving dish perfect for any back yard gathering.
We grow Mentha also called Mint every year BUT,we don’t put it in the ground. If you know anything about mint you know that it will grow and it won’t stop as it has a network of runners that just keeps on giving but is very aromatic. We have grown both garden mint and lemon mint although there are many species of mint around the world.
We opt for putting it in a relatively decent sized pot so it has enough room to grow.The results are always..too much but we make good use of it. You know paying $1.99 for a small packet at the shops hurts the budget so growing it is our number one option. You can pick up packets at the dollar store for $0.50 and no effort required except water and partial shade but enjoys plenty of sun. If you have friends who grow mint, I’m sure they’d be happy to give you some as they likely have far too much.
Other Uses for Mint- as per Wikipedia
- Alcoholic Beverages- such as the Mojito, Grasshopper,mint julep
- Garnishes- to decorate.. we use mint to garnish in our home
- Lamb- Nothing says mint more than Lamb which it is essential for optimal flavour especially in the UK where we eat lots of lamb.
- Tea,Jelly,Syrup,Candy,Ice Cream..etc
- Aromatherapy-essential oils but was once used as a room deodorizer by spreading it around the floors and stepping on it to release the smell.
- Insecticides- such as Mint Oil to kill Wasps,Hornets,Ants and Cockroaches
- Medicinal Remedies- such as stomach pain and chest pains
When the summer rolls around you can’t stop your nose from smelling all the BBQ’s flaring up in and around the neighbourhood. Oh come on you know you’ve done it and wish they would invite you over… you know that Steak on the Barbie smell then you sniff it and close your eyes at the same time. Then you say to yourself,”why doesn’t it smell like that when I barbecue.” You never know when a neighbour may pop around and invite you to a back yard party so be ready with some awesome summer fresh salads. One of our other favourite salads is Mr.CBB’s Cold Tuna Pasta Salad with a Kick. It’s a no brainer,frugal and relatively easy to make, as are all of our salads.
If your garden is over flowing with tomatoes or you load up as they typically go on sale at the shops in the summer give Mr.CBB’s Fresh Tomato salad with Basil, Fennel and Chickpeas a try. This salad is a hit every time we take it to a party.
So that’s it Mint is the flavour of this salad and I hope you enjoy!
- 1 large seedless cucumber
- 6 red radish
- 1/4 cup of fresh mint leaves chopped
- 1/4 cup red onion minced
- 1/4 extra virgin olive oil
- 1 fresh lemon juiced
- 2 cloves of fresh garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- pepper to taste
- In a bowl slice your cucumber not too thin but about 1/4 inch thick or to your liking
- Slice up the radish fairly thin add to the cucumber
- Mince up your red onion and add to the cucumber and radish
- Toss in your fresh mint
- In a jar combine the dressing ingredients and give it a shake. Taste for consistency and adjust salt as needed.
- Add the dressing to the vegetables and mix
- Serve at close to room temperature, but let the flavours meld together for about 15 minutes for optimal flavour.
Are you on my Blog Roll? Check HERE… if not and you want me to check out your blog and add you to my ever-growing blog roll simply click here and fill out the form. Introduce yourself and lets LINK UP!
If you are new to Canadian Budget Binder LIKE or Follow me on Twitter, Facebook and Pinterest or you can also sign up for email notifications here. When you do this it motivates me to keep on doing what I do for all of my fans.
- Mr.CBB’s Whole Wheat Kalamata Olive Bread with Oregano (canadianbudgetbinder.com)
- Grilled Panzanella Salad (blahblahbirds.wordpress.com)
- Cucumber, Radish, Chick Pea, and Parsley Salad with Creamy Feta & White Wine Vinegar Dressing (fortheloveoffiber.com)
- Mr.CBB’s Summer Fresh Tomato Salad with Basil,Fennel and Chick Peas (canadianbudgetbinder.com)
Photo Credit Steak-Copyright (c) <a href=’http://www.123rf.com’>123RF Stock Photos</a>