grocery game monthly challenge

The Grocery Game Challenge Aug 6-Aug 12-Winter Storing

Grocery Shopping for the month of August will be challenging for us no matter which way we look at it. We did go over our $64.00 budget for the week with a grand total of $85.24 as we picked up vegetables for winter storing.

Our normal monthly budget for anyone who is new to The Grocery Game Challenge is $190 a month for 2 adults with one no-shop week per month. This month we are feeding 3 adults and 1 teenager so the numbers will be higher. We will also have foods that we normally wouldn’t buy for us but needed for our guests as requested.

Although we have a vegetable garden it’s not a big enough garden to grow enough vegetables for us to freeze for the winter season. When the prices come down on vegetables that is when we rush in and start saving. Sometimes we even head to our local fresh farmers market to see what they are flogging off   (British Slang for “to sell”).

We believe in supporting our Ontario Farmers and hope that they continue to bring us the best they can offer. We also believe that the supermarkets who supply us with many fresh Ontario fruits and vegetables are also a perfect spot to pick up some great deals.

Today I made 16 freezer bags each containing 6 oz of cut green peppers. That is 6 lbs of Green Pepper we bought on sale for $0.67 lb at Food Basics for a Total of $5.88 for 16 meals.

After I cleaned the peppers I threw away $1.86 in the compost heap of seeds and innards. In the winter when peppers sky-rocket to around $2.99 lb the above would cost us approximately $24.00. Is it worth it to buy them now at the cheaper price and freeze them for winter storing? YES is obviously my answer. If you wait to buy the same amount in the winter for $2.99 a pound you would be throwing about $6.00 in the compost heap of bits you won’t use. That’s a lot of money. I always like to try and use as much of any vegetable as I can so the price I pay is the price I use.

How did we make out this week shopping?

Total to Spend in our weekly grocery budget $64.00

Food Basics

• Green Peppers Sale $0.67 lb $ 5.88
  • Lean Ground Beef  Reduced $4.86-$1.46 coupon
  • Yellow Onions 5 lb’s $2.97
  • Limes $1.00
  • Sour cream $1.99

Total Coupons Used $1.46

Total Out Of Pocket $15.24

Asian Market

• $ 15.99 Rose Brand Sticky Rice (Glutinous Rice) I have an awesome Japanese recipe that my mate taught me. I can’t wait to share with you my version.

Total Out Of Pocket $15.99

Shoppers Drug Mart

• 4x Cream Sale $0.99

Total Out Of Pocket $3.96

No Frills

• Garlic Beef Burgers $4.97 x2 (We are going to a big BBQ Party and our share is to bring 2 boxes of burgers so not bad for a sale price)
  • 7 tubes of Ground Pork Sausage Schneider’s Reduced $1.00 each 500 g tubes
  • 3 lb’s Carrots $1.76
  • Black Diamond Cheese Slices $2.97 x2 -$1.50 coupon- for the kids while they are visiting
  • Maxwell House Instant Coffee Reg $6.47  Sale $3.00 BUT we price matched Zehrs at $2.99. Saved $0.10 by price matching. Yep! Laugh all you want but $0.10 is $0.10 in my pocket.

Total Coupons Used $1.50

Total Out Of Pocket- $50.05

Total Spent This Week $85.24 which is $21.24 over budget for the week, leaving us $42.78 to spend on our next grocery shopping trip.

Overall- We did good overall considering the amount of food that we purchased and the regular price. I am noticing we are using less and less coupons for our shops although we simply have not needed much. Although we went over budget it is with good reason but we still managed to pick up some great deals. We don’t break the budget and drink coffee from the shops so it made sense to stock up today at $2.99 a jar. It also means we will try harder to stick to our $190.00 budget this month to see if we can pull it off!

How Well did you do this week with your shop? Post your weekly or bi-weekly shop below  exactly like I did above and you not only get to see how you did but you get an entry in our monthly contest.

Here are The Grocery Game Challenge Rules.- You can start any time of the month and post all month-long even if your weeks don’t coincide with mine. It’s all about tracking!

You can Follow Canadian Budget Binder on Twitter HERE or Facebook HERE and Pinterest Here.

You can also subscribe to Canadian Budget Binder so you don’t miss a blog post.

Comments

I was under budget this week!

$4.50 Skim Milk

$19.75 Fresh veggies at Walmart – 2 English cucumber, 2 red peppers, broccoli, cauliflower, pkg of carrots, 8 oz mushrooms, 2 pkg apple slices, celery, green onions, 2 lemons, 2 limes

$19.63 Save On Foods – 2 pkgs of 8 large whole wheat tortillas, 1 pkg deli mix sprouts, 2 white onions, 6 new potatoes, 2 lbs blueberries, 1/2 watermelon

Our weekly limit in $190/4 = $47.50 per week but we spent $43.88 so we were under $3.62

• Hi Mary!
      So glad to have you posting your shop mate! What are deli mix sprouts? Seems you eat a very healthy diet like we do. Is it cheaper to buy fruit in half like the watermelon or similar in price to buy it whole? Do you carry over the balance of this shop to the next shop? Lots of questions but I like to get to know our posters shopping and spending habits. Cheers Mr.CBB You get ballot #3!

I’ve never tried freezing peppers. Are they still o.k. to eat raw when they thaw, are they still crunchy, or do you just use them for cooking? Did no grocery shopping at all last week, will post this week’s probably on Sunday.

• No we used them for cooking only. They won’t be good for dipping or eating raw but excellent in stir frys and sauces. Can’t wait to see your post…. missed it last week. We didn’t shop neither last week. Mr.CBB

3. Great idea with starting on your winter storage. You can be sure to catch sales and truly budget.

4. Oddly enough, we have been using fewer coupons lately as well. I don’t really know why, but our grocery spending has also gone down at the same time. We are going to need to stock up on some nonperishables soon, so I’m sure we will use some coupons for that.

I have to say, I love the quote at the end of your story about excuses. Amen to that!

• Hey Greg,
      We truly have stocked up on what we need and it’s alot for the 2 of us. We took advantage of the coupons in the first two years we started but there is a point where enough is enough. Yes we have loads of TP and laundry soap, deoderant, shampoo, toothpaste.. etc BUT most of it was free or near free. Some people think it’s silly but I say.. think what you want.. I’ll keep my money in the bank thanks! Cheers mate! Mr.CBB

• gregjohnson975182420 says:

Yep! Most of all the nonperishables we have are free or near free too. In fact, I’m not sure we have bought toilet paper in a year. Also, we bought a year’s worth of baby formula for about $100 using coupons. It was AWESOME!!!

• You can’t complain about keeping the money in your pocket especially for the baby formula. There’s lots of haters out there but really, we don’t bat an eye… it’s our money and we can do what we want. I don’t mind my savings going UP UP UP! Cheers Mr.CBB P.S TP been over a year here… ;-)

5. nellterry says:

Awesome! I need to DO the veggie thing! I’ve been begging hubby to get a deep freezer so I can build up a pile of frozen goods and cut our grocery bill.

• It saves us so much on vegetables and other items we make. You can check online as well as many people tend to get rid of them when they move and sometimes give them away for free if you pick them up.

6. That’s a great idea for the green peppers! I make chili all the time in the winter and I could very easily buy them cheap and freeze them now! They’re on sale at Fresh Co this week (I think) so I’ll buy a few and freeze them. Do you put them in freezer bags or vacuum seal bags?

7. Our grocery budget is $100/week for 2 adults and a 20 month old toddler. The $100 includes cleaning products, beauty/health items and baby items as well as groceries.
    We went to the U.S. this week and that on top of trying to stock up on items for daycare really messed up my budget this week. I really hope to get back on track soon :-S

RCSS

Strawberries 2lb $3.98
    Tomatoes (PM Sobey’s) $.87
    Vaseline moisturizer 2 x $2.14 – $2.00 coupon – FPC=$.14 for 2

Coupons $13.22
    CD $5.52
    OOP $36.77

8. oops! I hit enter by mistake!

Fresh Co

Homo milk $3.97
    Pistachios (PM Food Basics) $2.98 – $1.00 coupon
    Cake mix $1.99
    Icing $2.29
    Frosting $2.29

Coupons $1.00
    OOP $12.91 (it cost $6.57 to make my MIL’s b-day cake :-))

Allison’s Farm Market

Coppertone baby sunscreen $4.67 – $1.00 coupon
    Gerber puffs 2/$5 – 2 x $1.00

Coupons $4.00
    CD $1.57
    OOP $14.13

Tops (U.S.)

Lay’s chips 2/$4 (on sale)
    Magazine $2.99
    Homo milk $2.29 (on sale)

OOP $9.28

Target (U.S.)

CLR $4.89 (almost half the price it is in Canada)
    Clorox toilet wand 20 pack refills $8.49 (refills for toilet cleaning system I bought years ago)
    Jet dry $5.50 – $.25 coupon (on sale)
    Gerber jars 4 x $.68 (on sale)
    Trident $1.08 (on sale)

Hot dogs (PM Giant Tiger) 2 x $1.00
    Banana’s $1.37
    Strawberries 2lb $3.98

Coupons $.75
    CD $2.35
    OOP $20.56

$36.77 + $3.98 + $12.91 + $3.00 + $14.13 + $9.28 + $29.57 + $5.14 + $20.56=$135.34

Yikes! $35.34 over budget!!! I really need to get a hold of myself!

• Hey Jen!
      Yep, you did a good one this time but that’s ok if I muck up you can get on me, that’s what this is for to motivate each other to keep on track. lol… who eats all of this food? I only ask as I notice you buy alot of food for 2 people. Do you eat left overs or do you toss it in the bin? Are you throwing food away that rots? If so you are buying far too much food. You must have a grocery stash so big ha! I could probably go through your list and trash it for you but I’m sure you can do that yourself. If you want me to break it apart I’d be glad to but I won’t unless you tell me to as it’s your money not mine. You can do what you please with it but I know you truly want the help to get your shopping under control. I think if you started to learn how to cook from scratch that might help your problem a bit. You can also buy a pair of gloves to clean the bog for $1.00 at your famous dollar store. I think everything else is just gimmicks and a waste of money IMO. I could put that $10 with tax to good use somewhere else. Anyhow.. don’t despair.. just figure it out Jen. If you want me full on report.. email me.. if you dare! hahaha.. cheers mate… You get ballot # 4.

9. What are you talking about!? Lol. Is a bog a toilet??? Lol. You have me so confused lol. If that’s what you’re talking about I have trouble with toilet bowls scratching and staining so I bought the system years ago in the states and I always grab a refill when I go over.
    I can pick apart my own bill thanks lol
    We don’t throw out much food. Sometimes I’ll buy something for Adam to try and I end up tossing it because he doesn’t like it and it goes bad. But I always try giving him something more than once just to be sure.

• Yep a bog is a toilet… very different from a Snog hah. Inside joke you know..
      Yes I know you can pick apart your bill, I didn’t mean to offend you at all. I was only suggesting that I could offer areas where if this was my bill that I could make changes…. I know you know that… We use gloves, toilet scrubber and that’s about it.. oh and some vim and it does the trick. I’ve never bought into any of those fancy systems but that’s just me I guess. On that note… are you cooking tonight? ha! Cheers darlin. Mr.CBB

I too have frozen peppers, usually what happens is I chop up the pepper but the recipe only uses part of it, The rest gets tossed in a freezer bag and into the freezer. Next time I want to make pineapple rice or spaghetti sauce. It’s good for other left overs too. We had potato cheese omlette the other night, I put the grated cheese on a plate for everyone to help themselves and the left overs go in the freezer. If I need a little bit of grated cheese for a topping… I raid the scraps in the freezer. Beats dirtying the grater for such a small amount. Right now I have 10 lbs of raspberries in the freezer waiting for the weather to cool down for a few days so I can make raspberry jam for the winter. The berries came from a vendor at the local farmers market. They gave me a decent deal ($3.50 lb) and today My son bought some blueberry jam from the same vendor, if we like it then I will get some blueberries and make a batch of jam… just so we have a little change from strawberry and raspberry.

Well, this was certainly a cheap week! The entire grocery shop this week (Aug 6-12) was as follows:

1 Safeway Signature Select Pizza $9.99

Total Coupons Used: $0.00

Total Out of Pocket: $9.99

Total Spent This Week: $9.99 which is $37.51 under budget for the week and this leaves us:

$3.62 (under last week) +
    $37.51 (under this week) +
    $47.50 weekly budgeted amount = $88.63 total available to spend on our next grocery shopping trip.

• Wow you bought a pizza that’s all good for you. Sounds like you are pretty dedicated to sticking to the budget. Cheers Mary You get ballot # 5!!! What do you do at the end of the month if there is money left in the grocery budget?

12. wing-sze blake says:

my shops from the past 2 weeks: $155.80
    budget left= $17.47 ($200/month) :( i am going to blow it…i am pretty disappointed at myself that i cant just not go out and shop :(
    but other than the cookies, everything i bought was really groceries… so i can forgive myself??

Giant tiger
    salad dressing 1.57
    carrots 1.27
    sole fillet 4.00
    basa fillet 9.97
    honey 5.99
    coffee basket 0.97
    cereal PM 1.98 – 0.75 = 1.23

Asian store
    chinese bbq sauce 4.79
    noodles 3.99

Farmer Al’s $69.47
    (23 meals of meat, including chicken thighs, wings, pork chops, steaks, ribs, ground beef, ground veal, we been going to this store to get meat because it is half price compare to the stores in our city, we are in Niagara region, this store is in Hamilton)

Walmart

cat dry food 16.49 – 10 = 6.49

Zehrs
    friskies cat can food 11.79
    PC dog can food 9.49
    skinny cow ice cream 5.99 – 5 = 0.99
    cabbage 1.32

• That was a good deal for the kitty litter, awesome coupon! Is there $5 skinny cow coupons again on cereal boxes? I haven’t seen them around at all this summer. Ah… had to sneak in a pair of slippers…. We go to the Asian shop as well. What is the difference with the bbq sauce you bought and that at normal shops? Don’t get worked about blowing the budget. We will be blowing it this month but we have 2 extra mouths to feed. We also bought our olive oil in bulk so that put a dent in our budget, a big one to be honest but we won’t be buying oil for about another year or so now.

Although we really wanted to some months it can be difficult. If you see each month you are going over you budget maybe you can evaluate your budget to see if you can increase grocery. There’s not point in getting upset every month if you are always going over. I’m hoping at some point we can increase ours a bit maybe to $200 a month. I know it’s not much but the $10 can buy alot of food. Keep at Wing…. P.S have you ever had bbq rice balls… I will make them soon.. they are so good!!! You get ballot #6!

• wing-sze blake says:

thank you mr CBB! yes the kitty litter coupons are super good. (however, after buying that litter, there was a even better deal on it, $4.97, with the $5 coupon that would have made it free!!) and the skinny cow ones are from a promotion few weeks ago. it is over now. and the cereal one is just that honey bunch of oats.
        the chinese bbq sauce is way different than the ones you get here in canada, i use it to cook chops with in the oven, and it will come out just like my home bbq chops, soothes my homesick a little, you know. and my husband loves it as well. my husband is a canadian, he speaks no Chinese. we lived in Hong Kong for 7 years before coming back here. he used to go to the market, bring a $10 coin, go to the bbq store, point at the bbq chop and get some home. lol he did so much better than i do here, i dont really go anywhere without him, except the giant tiger near home, just a 3 minute walk.

thank you for the encouragement, i wil lkeep it up!! and try not to go shopping for the rest of this month lol

My grocery budget for the month is $400 which calculates to $92.31 a week for 2 adults and 1 child and includes all food, household items, personal hygiene items etc. I did not do any grocery shopping last week as I was on vacation and did not need to buy any extra groceries so I still had the entire $400 going into this week.

Walmart

Kashi crackers – $2.97
    Ricotta cheese – $3.00
    Nordica cottage cheese – $2.87 – FPC = 0
    Hummus – $2.00
    Fruite juice – $1.50 – FPC = 0
    Large tray ex-lean ground beef (almost 4 lbs worth) – $17.00
    Fruit Loops cereal – $5.00 – 1.00 c = $4.00 (plus has $5.00 gas card offer)

Total coupons used = $5.37
    Total OOP = $48.82

FoodBasics

Black Diamond Cheese – $4.44 – $.75 c = $3.69
    Seedless cucumber – $.88
    Bag pistachio nuts – $2.99 – $1.00 c = $1.99
    Stovetop stuffing – $1.49
    Clubhouse gravy – $1.29
    Pasta sauce – $.99
    4L 1% Milk – $4.99
    4 cobs of corn – $1.00
    12 can case Nestea – $2.88 x 2 – FPC x 2 = $0 (and both cases came with another FPC!)

Total coupons used = $7.51
    Total OOP = $16.71

Big Red Market

Pork Chops – $3.39 – only thing I bought

Total spent this week = $3.39 + $16.71 + $48.82 = $68.92
    $92.31-$68.92 = $23.39 under budget

Only had to make dinner for 1 adult and 1 child this week so that helped the budget.

• You’re lucky since it’s a 5 week month so that extra week you missed will come in handy for you and you still came in under budget this week!!Awesome!!! We are finding it hard to cook for 4 as we are not used to it. We find that we over cook and have left overs for a day or so. Cooking for 2 is so much easier. That hummus you bought, well if you have chick peas, lemon juice, olive oil,garlic, salt, pepper, and tahini ( I bought a jar today for $4.97 at food basics in the European/asian section… then you can make hummus for SO MUCH LESS… it’s the easiest dip in the world to make but the shops charge a fortune for it. Great shopping…keep at it…
      You get ballot #7 for this week….
      P.S- what day are you making the lasagna? I’ll be there… I love it! Do you make your own pasta sauce? I have my recipe up if you want to give it a go!
      Cheers darlin…..
      Mr.CBB

• Joanna Cheevers says:

Yes, I will try to make my own hummus. My daughter is a very picky eater and found out she loves hummus when she tried it somewhere else, go figure. I’ve been a little busy but will try it myself. Never heard of tahini before but I do a lot of shopping at Foodbasics so I will look for it next time I go, thanks for letting me know. Haven’t tried making my own tomato sauce, just used store bought but it is something else I want to try to make myself, I know it will taste so much better than the jar/canned stuff. Taking it steps at a time. I made a batch of lasagna on Saturday and we ate one pan for dinner, 3 others I froze for easy dinners in the future which we will probably have every other week or so. My mom was an avid gardener having grown up on a farm and I remember her doing lots of canning. From what I can remember she used to can her own tomatoes and sauce, peppers, make dill pickles and jam. Unfortunately she passed away just before I turned 9 so I never got to learn any of it from her. Everything I have learned about cooking and gardening is pretty much self taught from reading and experimenting. I love what I have been able to pick up from your page, the recipes you have provided and the ideas from others whenever you ask “What’s for Dinner” I certainly hope you keep it up! You are right about it being different cooking for 4 than 2, I even find it different cooking for 3 than 2, but you will probably get the hang of it just in time for your guests to leave LOL! Thanks for the comments.

• Hey Joanna!
          We make hummus all the time. It’s actually one of my recipes in line up for a Sunday post. I’ve got so many recipes that we made and took pictures for but I only post one recipe every Sunday. I’ll get it up soon for you or you can email me for it. Pasta sauce is dead easy to make. Here is my recipe from the blog Nonna’s Meatballs and Pasta Sauce. Give it a shot, and you can freeze it as well. Cheers darlin

14. Our first week of the month budget is $150 for all food, cleaners and haba products
    Sobeys

$2.09×2 coffee cream
    $2.28 3pk cucumber
    $1.98 1lb mushrooms
    $8.44 total oop

$143.61 total oop
    $20.97 otal coupons

made it under budget and we really spurlged on the treats and snacks to have while heading out to the lake and afternoon trips, will be back on track when my girl heads back home next week

• Hey Hey… How’s things?
      I just love that Bread basket shop you go to. I wonder if we have that in our town. I must look into that as I think it’s a great idea for fresh bread. Cherry Pepsi I didn’t even know they still made that stuff wow. Your entire shop reminds me of someone who packing up to go camping for the week haha until I got to the end and read it was for going to the lake and trips. Sounds like you have a lot of fun times planned for you. Good Shopping Juanita!!! Mr.CBB You get ballot #7 Do you find you are using less coupons lately? We are as we seem to be cooking more from scratch. Do you cook alot from scratch?

15. Hey Mr.CBB
    yeah we love the bread basket and sometimes we will find bread cheap while shopping, but I like the one stop shop/stock up. When I lived in victoria there was only one but it sounds like there are a few here in Edmonton. The cherry pepsi was for my hubby as a treat and only comes out once a year or two years. Love food coming out of the garden! And the excitement and joy out there as a family planting, weeding and harvesting is really priceless. Now just wishing the tomatoes and carrots would hurry up and be ready. We try to cook at home as much as possible with some cheat days here and there, and the occasional lazy cooking helpers. But nothing beats homemade meals and gravy!! Wishing there was a lot more coupons for fresh fruits and vegs :( guess I’ll just have to plant more next year :)

• Everyone should splurge once in a while otherwise they will feel deprived and go on a spree. I think the bread idea is great although most of our bread is purchased at 50% off or we make it at home. We wish we had more room so we could plant a bigger garden but for now we will stick to the basics that we have and hopefully in the future we can buy another home with more property. Cheers Mr.CBB

16. Another very late post, but better late than never. :)

Store: Item Amount Coupon Disc Total Weekly Sub-total

Sobeys:
    Scotsburn Ice Cream $5.98
    Potato Wedges $2.99
    Corn $2.39 0.79 $1.60
    $10.55

Giant Tiger:
    Honey Roast Pean. $4.77
    Nesquick Syrup $2.00
    Alfredo Sauce 6.16 These were supposed to be on sale for .50 each!! Urgh!
    $13.55

Chips 2
    Cheese & Crack. (4) 4 0.7 3.3 Snacks for nieces & nephews back to school
    $17.81

$81.72

Swiss Chalet $42.02 Greg’s Bday
    $123.74

Our grocery budget is 100.00/week for two adults.
    Carry forward from last week 30.01; carry forward balance of 6.27

1. [...] The Grocery Game Challenge Aug 6-Aug 12-Winter Storing CBB Alexa Toolbar Twitter- Come Follow My Tweets! [...]

2. [...] The Grocery Game Challenge Aug 6-Aug 12-Winter Storing (canadianbudgetbinder.com) [...]

3. [...] The Grocery Game Challenge Aug 6-Aug 12-Winter Storing (canadianbudgetbinder.com) [...]