The Grocery Game Challenge this week truly was a tough week for us as we wanted to see if we could make it to the end of the month spending $190 for 4 people. I’m still optimistic when I say that if we didn’t buy in bulk this would not be an issue. You can read my overall remarks at the end of this weeks challenge. I’m trying to set up the challenge so it is standardized each week. That makes it easy for me and for you to read. We started this weeks shop off with last weeks shop total of $85.24. We should have only spent $42.76 but that didn’t happen. Read on to see what did happen.
As you can see from the picture our crab apples are screaming to get picked. You can guess what we will be doing this evening. We picked up a couple more cases of mason jars at Canadian Tire today on sale so we can get a move on in the kitchen. Last year we made well over 100 jars of the jam and gave it away to friends and family. We have some left but for the most part it was an experiment to see if we could actually make a yummy miracle out of these pesky apples.
We also picked up 4 bunches of rappini in this weeks grocery shop. If you are not familiar with rappini I will be doing a post on sautéed rappini and the way we like to prepare it in certain dishes. Rappini is very common in many cultural dishes from Asia to Italy and some recipes from India. We prepared the rappini and now have it freezing for our winter recipes. Rappini is a vegetable introduced to us by our friends and certainly can be part of any healthy diet.
Then there is the Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO) and it comes at a premium price depending on which brand you purchase. This week we purchased 4 Litre Jugs on sale so although it hit our budget hard we won’t be buying it for a very long time. We enjoy cooking with EVOO, Sesame Oil, Coconut oil, Sunflower Oil, Peanut oil and a few others for optimal flavour in our meals. Moderation is always the key not denial.
Our Grocery Game Challenge Shop For the Week!
- 4x Jugs Of Extra Virgin Olive Oil Reg $24.99 Sale $15.99 each
- 1 Pkg Pita Sale $0.99
- 4 x Black Diamond Cheese Sale $1.88- $1.50 coupon when you buy 2
- 1 Jar of Tahini Paste Sale $4.79
- 1 Jug of Allan’s White Vinegar Sale $1.99
Total Coupons Used $3.00
Total Out of Pocket $76.25
Shoppers Drug Mart
- 3x 1L Neilson Cream $3.98 (Hey! At least I’m not buying coffee from the shops and paying a fortune. We also mix the cream with milk in our coffee.)
Total Coupons Used $0
Total Out of Pocket $5.97 and 50 Shoppers Optimum Points
- 3x D’Italiano Bread Sale $2.49-50%= $1.25-$0.75 coupon =$0.50 loaf
- 2x PC thin Buns $2.99-50% off=$1.50 each
- PC Sausages Reg Price $24.35-30% sticker =$17.03
- Bean Sprouts $0.97
- 1x Broccoli $0.87
- 3lb carrots PM Wal-mart $1.00
- 3lb onions PM Wal-mart $1.00
- Celery $1.47
- Cucumber English PM Wal-mart $0.77
- Fennel $1.27
- Iceberg Lettuce PM Wal-mart $0.88
- Peaches Sale $0.77lb total $2.11
- 4 Rappini Sale $1.27 each
- Produce $1.00
Total Coupons Used $14.07
Total Out of Pocket $36.15
Weekly Grocery Game Challenge Results for Mr. and Mrs. CBB
Total Coupons Used this Week $13.07
Total Spent This Week $118.37
Total Spent So Far This Month $85.24+$118.37=$203.61 ($13.61) Over budget.
Overall- Well we knew this month would be a bust having 4 mouths to feed and not 2. If you look at what we did buy though a chunk of the spend comes from bulk purchases such as the Extra Virgin Olive Oil and a huge bag of rice the week before that will last us well over a year. We did have to purchase some items that our guests wanted such as cheese slices for their lunches. We also buy more vegetables,fruits and meat for healthy meals during the week. So we are currently over budget with 2 weeks left to go by $13.61.
How Well did you do this week with your shop? Post your weekly or bi-weekly shop below exactly like I did above and you not only get to see how you did but you get an entry in our monthly contest.
Here are your weekly coupon match-ups Aug 10-16 from Save Big Live Better.
Here are The Grocery Game Challenge Rules.- You can start any time of the month and post all month-long even if your weeks don’t coincide with mine. It’s all about tracking!
You can also subscribe to Canadian Budget Binder so you don’t miss a blog post. It will come straight to your email inbox.
- Reader Question: Meal Planning For The Budget (canadianbudgetbinder.com)
- The Grocery Game Challenge Aug 6-Aug 12-Winter Storing (canadianbudgetbinder.com)
- How Much Should My Grocery Budget Be? (canadianbudgetbinder.com)