Mr. CBB’s Easy Beef Vegetable Stir Fry with Rice
We love to make easy stir fry’s in the Canadian Budget Binder Kitchen and this frugal recipe is no exception. It’s one of those meals that is light and tasty but you can still walk when you’re done eating it. I grilled the steak for this one on the bbq as I find it has a better flavour that way. You can simply stir fry it if that’s what you prefer to do.
In order to make the pretty mounds of rice I used a small white bowl (you will see the picture of the garlic below, that’s the bowl I used) filled it, packed it then ran a knife around it and it easily popped out right on the plate. The rice mound just gives the dish that “restaurant allure” like you put lots of effort into this stir fry.
The splash of lime or lemon at the end is more of a palate cleanser. I find that after the taste of the broth and the sesame oil the acid cleans my palate and is then refreshed at the end of each bite. All around the flavours and crunchy texture of the vegetables for us are perfect. I hope you enjoy this easy recipe and check out what else we’re knocking out of the Canadian Budget Binder kitchen every Sunday!
- Wok or Frying Pan
- Rice Cooker
- Cutting board
- Vegetable Peeler (for carrots)
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
- 2 cups dry basmati or jasmine rice (or whatever rice you prefer)
- 2 cups broccoli
- 2 cups par-boiled green beans
- 1 red pepper diced
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 4 cups fresh bean sprouts
- 1 cup about 4 Spring onions sliced
- 1 can sliced water chestnuts
- 8 cloves of garlic chopped fine
- 4 med-large boneless grilling steaks seasoned with salt and pepper
- piece of fresh ginger finely sliced to make about 1.5 tablespoons
- 1 cup beef broth
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Sesame oil
- Soy Sauce
- Fresh Lemon or Lime or both if you prefer
- Fresh Chopped Chillies if Desired for heat
- Rinse 2 cups of rice until the water runs clear then put it in the rice cooker with 2 cups of water
- Grill the steaks on the bbq to med rare (Let sit for 10 minutes)
- In the Wok/Frying Pan heat it up hot add 1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil,1 tablespoon Sesame Oil then toss in 6 cloves of garlic stir fry for 30 seconds, toss in all the vegetables, water chestnuts and 1/4 cup soy sauce. Stir fry for about 3 -4 minutes until the vegetables are cooked but still crunchy in texture then add the beef broth and simmer for 5 minutes. Taste for flavour- add more salt or soy sauce as needed.
- Slice the meat length wise about an inch in length
- Turn on your Wok/Frying Pan Until it is very hot with 1 tablespoon of extra Virgin Olive Oil and 1 teaspoon of sesame oil and toss in 2 cloves of minced garlic,chillies, the ginger, 1 tablespoon of soy and stir fry the bbq meat to heat up for about 2 minutes then add it to the vegetables and stir.
- Meanwhile in a small bowl fill it to the rim with rice then invert onto a plate to make a rice mound, add your vegetables and meat beside it, squeeze fresh lemon or lime or both on top for some zing!
Are you NEW to Canadian Budget Binder?
If you are new Start here!
Do you have a Question for Mr.CBB please click HERE to ask him!
Are you on Mr.CBB’s Blog Roll? Check HERE… if not and you want me to check out your blog and add you to my ever-growing blog roll simply click here and fill out the form. Introduce yourself and lets LINK UP!
Related articles You Might Like to Read!
- Reader Question: Meal Planning For The Budget (canadianbudgetbinder.com)
- The Grocery Game Challenge August 13-19 2012 End Of Season (canadianbudgetbinder.com)
- Chicken and Broccoli Stir Fry (rantsfrommycrazykitchen.com)
- Mr.CBB’s Easy Spinach and Wheat Tortilla Recipe (canadianbudgetbinder.com)
- Mr.CBB’s Summer Fresh Tomato Salad with Basil,Fennel and Chick Peas (canadianbudgetbinder.com)
- Mr.CBB’s Garlic,Onion Potato Balls (canadianbudgetbinder.com)
- 5 Reasons You Won’t Get Out of Debt (canadianbudgetbinder.com)
- Mr.CBB’s Eggless Chocolate Coffee Cake $6.50 (canadianbudgetbinder.com)