The Grocery Game Challenge this month has shown us how much work it can be when feeding more than 2 people in a household. A grocery budget for 4 is much more challenging than a grocery budget for 2 when shopping for food on a budget. Making lunches has challenged us as we have had to buy grocery items we never buy such as granola bars, luncheon meats and cheese slices just to name a few. Although we have had coupons for most grocery items at times we have had to find the best deal we could simply by knowing our prices. An example would be this weeks Bologna for $1.89 as that is what’s been requested for lunches and that was the best deal we could find.
Overall we feel we are on track playing this months grocery game given the increased mouths to feed and only being over budget so far by $32.64. How well do you cope with your grocery budget when you have more mouths to feed than normal for an extended period? Do you tend to have a stash of frugal recipes ready to cook?
Shopping for this week was minimal especially with having peppers and tomatoes in the garden ready to eat. Mrs. CBB was in Shoppers Drug Mart and hit up the reduced rack to find some great Christmas Stocking Stuffer’s. As you will see the discounts were hard to pass up $0.49 for lipstick by QUO Reg Price $14.99. They might as well of handed it to us for free at that price.
We also were lucky enough to get some free boxes of cereal and are very tempted to go back and get more. We knew the Cheerios were $1.88 at Food Basics this week as per the flyer but what we didn’t know was that All-Bran Flakes were part of that special. If you recall last month we picked up Save $2.00 on ANY All Bran product from our Doctor’s Office so they actually paid us to take the cereal from the store $0.12 a box.
Here’s our Weekly Grocery Game Challenge Shop… Don’t be afraid to offer advice to us as we are trying to stick to our grocery budget just like the next person. If you can help us out please do as we are all here playing and posting our grocery game shops to learn from each other how to stick to the grocery budget!
Here are your weekly coupon match-ups Aug 17-23, 2012 from Save Big Live Better. Big Thanks to Julia for doing this each week!
- 2 x pasta $0.59
- 1 piece of fresh ginger $0.43
- Fresh Bean Sprouts $1.27
- Bologna $1.89
- Cheerios $1.88-$1.00 coupon (websaver)
- 2 x All Bran Flakes Sale $1.88- $2.00 coupons (Doctor’s Office) = +0.12 each
- 2x black beans dry $1.49 each
Total Coupons Used $5.00
Total Out of Pocket $6.90
Shoppers Drug Mart
- 2x Neilson Cream $1.99
- 1x Quo Lipstick Breathless Reg $14.99 Sale $0.49
- 1x Quo Bling It On Reg $25.00 Sale $0.99
- 1x Lipstick Look At Me Reg $2.99 Sale $0.49
- 2x All Bran Reg $5.49 Sale $2.99-$2.00 Coupon (Doctor’s Office)
Total Coupons Used: $4.00
Total Out of Pocket: $12.13
Weekly Grocery Game Challenge Results for Mr. and Mrs. CBB
- Total Grocery Budget for the Month: $190.00
- Total Coupons Used this Week $9.00
- Total Spent This Week $19.03
- Total Spent So Far for August: $85.24+$118.37 +$19.03= $222.64($32.64) Over budget this month so far.
Are you playing our food shopping game?
Here are The Grocery Game Challenge Rules.- You can start any time of the month and post all month-long even if your weeks don’t coincide with mine. It’s all about tracking!
You can also subscribe to Canadian Budget Binder so you don’t miss a blog post. It will come straight to your email inbox.
- The Grocery Game Challenge August 13-19 2012 End Of Season (canadianbudgetbinder.com)
- Top 6 Reasons People Go Into Debt (canadianbudgetbinder.com)
- The Grocery Game Challenge Aug 6-Aug 12-Winter Storing (canadianbudgetbinder.com)
- Reader Question: Meal Planning For The Budget (canadianbudgetbinder.com)
- How Much Should My Grocery Budget Be? (canadianbudgetbinder.com)
- Free Downloadable Money Saving Tools (canadianbudgetbinder.com)