Mr. CBB’s Vegetable Stir Fried Rice with Shrimp and Egg
Have you ever wondered how to make shrimp fried rice? If you don’t like meat this Vegetable Stir Fried Rice with Shrimp and Egg dish is for you. It was one of those days where we wanted to have shrimp and this dish hit the spot. With the juicy shrimp bursting in your mouth to the salty flavour of the fried rice this is a perfect budget friendly dish any night of the week.
We used frozen carrots and peas in this recipe only because we had a bag in the freezer and it needed using up. You could certainly use fresh carrots and peas from your garden if you so desire.
Fried rice is common in Canadian Chinese cuisine that we have all come to love. Fried rice originates in Asia and is popular in Asian cuisine, Chinese Food, Southern Asian and South-Eastern Asia. In the UK rice dishes are very popular in our Chinese restaurants and after a night at the pub it’s a popular takeaway food. I’ve had Chinese Food in Canada and I don’t know what it is but I do find a distinct difference in taste than back home in the UK.
We like to make the rice the day before in our rice cooker as we feel it makes the best quality stir fry as do most. Fried rice is typically made with left over rice, vegetables and meat and is dished up so many ways you’d lose count. This recipe is no exception as I’ve fumbled along the way to create a fried rice dish that works for us that is easy, frugal and quick.
With this fried rice recipe I topped it with scrambled egg. Typically made in a hot WOK which will give you best results we made it in our frying pan as that is all we have. Many people don’t own a WOK that many Asians turn to as their must-have kitchen tool, so the frying will have to do.
One of our favourite fried rice dish is called Sinangag. Sinangag is an easy Filipino rice dish which is has lots of crushed garlic (bawang) in hot oil then toss in the rice and stir fry. We love this and can eat it any time of the day although traditional Filipinos will eat this for breakfast. We really enjoy Filipino food and hope to learn more about the culture and what they have to offer up at the dinner table.
Well I’m sure you are all aching to read the recipe I’ve created. Give it a try and let me know what you think. Here we go!
- Frying Pan or Wok x2
- Rice Cooker
- small bowls for ingredients
- Pot to make vegetable stock
- Strainer to strain vegetables for stock
Time to Prep:
- 20 minutes the rice the day before
- 30 minutes for the vegetables stock
- 15 minutes to cut and assemble other ingredients
Time To Cook:
- 15 minutes
- 2-4 people depending on serving size
- 2 cups of dry rice
- 2 cups of water for rice in rice cooker
- 2 cups of shrimp peeled and de-veined
- 1 cup of peas
- 1 cup of carrots
- 2 cups of Napa Cabbage sliced thin
- 1/2 chopped green onion
- 1 cup of water chestnuts (sliced)
- 3 tablespoons Mushroom Soy Sauce
- 1 table-spoon Fish Sauce
- 4 eggs scrambled
- 1 cup of vegetable stock (made from vegetable stock cubes, boxed vegetable stock (ready-made) or boiled 1 cup each onions, carrots , celery and salt in a pot for 30 minutes-drain and save juice)
- 2 table spoons milk for the scrambled eggs
- 3 table spoons of Oyster Sauce
- 4 table spoons of Sesame Oil
- 8 cloves of garlic minced
- 3 tablespoons of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- The day before make the rice and leave it in the refrigerator
- In a bowl crack the eggs, add the milk, salt and pepper, add 1 table-spoon of oil to a pan, add the egg mixture then run your spatula around the pan in all directions to scramble the egg. Set this aside when done.
- In a Wok or frying pan add 2 tbsp olive oil until it is nice and hot
- Add in 3 cloves of garlic minced, the Napa cabbage, green onions,peas and carrots, water chestnuts, salt, pepper to taste for 3 minutes
- Add in the oyster sauce and fish sauce and stir fry for another minute
- Add in the vegetable stock and mix for one minute
- Set this mixture aside or in another WOK or Frying pan add the sesame oil until hot, add in the rest of the garlic then add in the shrimps and stir fry for 1 minute
- Add the rice, soy sauce, salt and pepper and stir fry for 2-3 minutes or until the rice is hot and the sauces have combined
- Add the stir fried vegetables to the rice and shrimp, then add in the egg and gently mix
- Serve HOT!
- Enjoy.. this goes nice with my beverage of choice a cold Brava Beer..
Are you NEW to Canadian Budget Binder?
If you are new Start here!
Do you have a Question for Mr.CBB please click HERE to ask him!
Are you on Mr.CBB’s Blog Roll? Check HERE… if not and you want me to check out your blog and add you to my ever-growing blog roll simply click here and fill out the form. Introduce yourself and lets LINK UP!
- Mr.CBB’s Easy Beef Vegetable Stir Fry with Rice (canadianbudgetbinder.com)
- Reader Question: Meal Planning For The Budget (canadianbudgetbinder.com)
- The Grocery Game Challenge August 13-19 2012 End Of Season (canadianbudgetbinder.com)
- Mr.CBB’s Easy Spinach and Wheat Tortilla Recipe (canadianbudgetbinder.com)
- Mr.CBB’s Summer Fresh Tomato Salad with Basil,Fennel and Chick Peas (canadianbudgetbinder.com)
- Mr.CBB’s Garlic,Onion Potato Balls (canadianbudgetbinder.com)
- Mr.CBB’s Eggless Chocolate Coffee Cake $6.50 (canadianbudgetbinder.com)