The Grocery Game Challenge for August is now in the home stretch as we face the last week of the challenge for this month. We went over budget this month as expected due to feeding 4 mouths for the month of August as well as purchasing some bulk items such as jugs of Extra Virgin Olive Oil that cost us just over $60. Starting this week we were already $32.64 over our monthly grocery budget for 2 of $190. I guess feeding 4 people cost us a bit more but it wasn’t as bad as we thought. Once you take away the oil we bought it’s not all that bad I suppose.
With Canadian food prices expected to rise by end of year up 2.5-3.0% due to the US drought many are wondering how bad it will get. That means we will see our grocery budget rise so keep that in mind when designing your grocery budget. If you don’t have the extra cash you will have to find ways to cut your grocery budget so you aren’t spending more than you have. It gets even worse for 2013 with an expected food price hike of 3-4 % according to RBC economist Paul Ferley. It might be a good time to see what products containing corn you will be able to stockpile or that have a long expiry date.
We are also now finally seeing all our hard work in the garden as it is now all ready to eat. Of course we went out and bought tomatoes and they decided to turn red the next day, oh well. We already have around 20 tomatoes in our kitchen ready to eat along with the bunch we bought. Needless to say Mr.CBB’s Tomato Salad will be on the menu all week-long. Our green peppers are ready to go as well which only means it’s time to make Mr. CBB’s Stuffed Green Peppers on mash again. If you haven’t tried that recipe give it a go. It’s so full of flavour especially with the mash and tomato sauce.
Here are your weekly coupon match-ups Aug 24-30 2012 from Save Big Live Better. Big Thanks to Julia for doing this each week!
Well here is our last week of shopping and results for the month of August.
- 3x bottle of Coke – FPC= FREE
- 3x Old El Paso with $4 meat coupon FPC= FREE
- 1x BOGO (buy one get one free) egg Creations- $1.99
- 2x White Mushrooms Sale $1.00
- 4x limes 4/$1.00
- Fresh Peaches $1.33
- Tortellini $1.79
- water chestnuts sliced $0.79
Total Coupons Used $17.83
Total Out of Pocket $8.90
- 1x Old Cheddar Armstrong Sale $4.27
- 8x Mr.Noodle (for our guest)
- Sesame seeds $1.49
- 6x Unico tomato Paste Sale $0.44 each
- 1x Bologna (for our guest) Sale $1.29
- Banana $1.32
- Green Beans fresh Sale $1.30
- Bok Choy Sale $0.69
- Broccoli Sale $0.77
- English Cucumber $0.97
- Iceberg Lettuce Sale $0.79
- Red Peppers Sale $0.92
- Yellow Pepper Sale $0.33
- 2x 10lb bags of Potatoes Sale $1.97 each
Total Coupons Used $0
Total Out of Pocket $24.58
- 2 x Cashmere Toilet Paper Sale $2.88-$1.00 coupons
- 2x Honey Sale $1.99
Total Coupons Used $2.00
Total Out of Pocket $8.49
- 1x Sesame Oil $4.97- SCOP (Scanning Code of Practice = FREE
- 1x Noodles Sale $0.28 each rang up $0.38 – SCOP = FREE
- Roma Tomatoes for Pot-luck Sale $2.52
- 4x packages of reduced Marc Angelo Sausages $2.43 each
Total Coupons Used $0
Total Out of Pocket $12.27
Weekly Grocery Game Challenge Results for Mr. and Mrs. CBB
- Total Grocery Budget for the Month: $190.00
- Total Coupons Used this Week $19.83
- Total Spent This Week $54.24
- Total Spent So Far for August: $85.24+$118.37 +$19.03+ $54.24=$276.88
- Total Overspend for the month of August $86.88
So there you have it, we are over $86.88 for the month of August. If we didn’t purchase the oil we would have been over just over $20. Not bad but lets see how well we make out this month with 3 mouths to feed for half the month. I think we can make it!!
Are you playing our food shopping game? How much is your Grocery Budget for the month and how many people does it feed?
Here are The Grocery Game Challenge Rules.- You can start any time of the month and post all month-long even if your weeks don’t coincide with mine. It’s all about tracking!
- Nonna’s Pasta Sauce and Meatballs (canadianbudgetbinder.com)
- The Grocery Game Challenge August 13-19 2012 End Of Season (canadianbudgetbinder.com)
- The Grocery Game Challenge Aug 6-Aug 12-Winter Storing (canadianbudgetbinder.com)
- Reader Question: Meal Planning For The Budget (canadianbudgetbinder.com)
- The Grocery Game Challenge Aug 20-Aug 26, 2012~Stick To The Grocery Budget! (canadianbudgetbinder.com)
Photo Credit-Copyright (c) <a href=’http://www.123rf.com’>123RF Stock Photos</a>