Tomato Salad with Potatoes, Green Beans and Chick Peas is perhaps one of our favourite salads in the summer time. We always bring this as a healthy side yet frugal dish to any backyard bbq’s we may go to and it’s a hit. This tomato potato salad is a heart healthy dish and we like to serve it along side a protein such as lamb which we marinate and grill on the bbq.
If you don’t already know from my many garden posts we grow an abundance of varieties of tomatoes such as …..
- Roma Tomatoes
- Beefsteak Tomatoes
- Cherry Tomatoes
- Plum Tomatoes
- Grape Tomatoes
Originating in South America the tomato often called a “vegetable” is actually a fruit although most consider it a vegetable. There is nothing better than organic tomatoes ripened on the plant for easy summer salads. Tomatoes are also popular in a myriad of other dishes and condiments such as …..
- Tomato Soup
- Sun-Dried Tomatoes
- Tomato Juice
- Pasta Sauce
- Tomato paste
- Beverages such as the Bloody Mary
Some people even enjoy slicing tomatoes, breading them and frying them in vegetable oil until crispy on the outside. You can top these little treats with fresh mozzarella and melt it under the broiler.
I always keep our tomatoes out of the refrigerator as I find it affects the taste and texture of the tomato. When we make a fresh tomato salad we always let it sit for about 30 minutes to absorb the spices and extra virgin olive oil. It also helps to build flavour and juices (great for dipping with my Olive Bread). If you pick tomatoes that are not yet ripe simply leave them on a counter at room temperature and eat with-in 2-4 days for optimal taste.
Believed to be beneficial for the heart tomatoes also offer carotene lycopene one of the most powerful antioxidants you can find. We take pride in our tomatoes and enjoy them while we can but if we have more tomatoes than we can eat we simply scald them in hot water, peel them and freeze them in a freezer bag for later use.
Other Variations of Tomato Salads you might enjoy are….
- Corn, Potato and Tomato Salad
- Tomato Salad with Fresh Basil, Fennel and Chick Peas
- Mozzarella and Tomato Salad
- Feta, Tomato, Potato Salad
- Tomato Avocado Salad
- Tomato and Onion Salad
- Tomato Cucumber Salad
What types of tomatoes do you grow? What is your favourite kind of tomato salad?
Mr.CBB’s Tomato Salad With Potatoes, Green Beans and Chick Peas
Feeds: 6-8 side salad
- 15 minutes to boil potatoes in salted water until cooked but firm
- 15 minutes to boil the green beans then soak in ice cubes and water
- Soak Dry Chick peas overnight then boil until cooked then chill in water in the refrigerator (or use canned chick peas)
- 10 minutes to make salad
- 30 minutes to let the flavours come together
- 3 pots
- cutting board
- 3 large bowls
- 1 cup dry chick peas
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup of red onion minced
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- dry oregano
- fresh garlic
- fresh basil
- 4 large tomatoes
- 4-6 potatoes
- 1/2 lb fresh green beans
- 1/2 fresh lime
- 4-6 medium-sized potatoes peeled, cubed and boiled in salted water then chilled in the refrigerator
- 1/2 fresh green beans boiled in salted water until cooked but still firm, drain then chill in the refrigerator
- Boil in salted water 1 cup of dry chick peas soaked over night until cooked then chill
- On your cutting board cut 4 large tomatoes into wedges and put in a bowl, juices, seeds and all.
- Add in 1 tablespoon of dry oregano
- Add in 4 cloves of minced fresh garlic
- Add in 6-10 leaves of fresh basil rolled and chopped (2 tablespoons)
- Add in 1/2 cup of extra virgin olive oil
- Add in 1 teaspoon of pepper to taste
- Add in 1 tablespoon of salt to draw out the flavours and juices
- Add in the juice of half a lime
- Add in the minced red onion
- Add in the cooled potatoes
- Add in the cooled green beans
- Add in the cooled chick peas
- Mix the salad, taste for flavour
- Let sit for 30 minutes
- Serve you Tomato Salad!
Are you NEW to Canadian Budget Binder?
If you are new Start here!
Do you have a Question for Mr.CBB please click HERE to ask him!
You can also subscribe to Canadian Budget Binder so you don’t miss a blog post. Fill in your email address on the HOME page of the blog off to the left where it says “Subscribe Via Email”- No Spam, I promise!
Are you on Mr.CBB’s Blog Roll? Check HERE… if not and you want me to check out your blog and add you to my ever-growing blog roll simply click here and fill out the form. Introduce yourself and lets LINK UP!
- Mr.CBB’s Garlic,Onion Potato Balls (canadianbudgetbinder.com)
- Mr.CBB’s Easy Spinach and Wheat Tortilla Recipe (canadianbudgetbinder.com)
- Summer’s (Not Quite) Gone – Toasted Corn, Black Bean and Tomato Salad (emmaeats.com)
- Heirloom Cherry Tomato Salad (hauteahimsa.com)