Soon enough the Fall leaves will start to turn colour on the trees and the leaves will fall to the ground. The children will be merry and the parents saddened to have to rake the leaves although I bag them and use them for compost on my garden the next year. The nights are getting chilly but the garden seems to be blooming the best it has all year with new flowers on the go each and every day. I can’t tell you how thrilled we’ve been to eat tomato salad pretty much every single bloody night. If you detect some sarcasm, you are not far off, but I’m sure I should have nothing to whine about. We grew over 40 plants from seed this year far more than any other year where we typically had 8 plants. We will be scalding some soon and putting them in the freezer as the novelty of organic tomatoes has run its course in CBB cuisine.
Our Crab Apple tree is now empty of the beautiful apples since we made crab apple spice jelly but apple crops are in full swing in and around Ontario. You may notice the prices have soared and that’s all due to the dry summer we have had and apple growers are cashing in on the high demand of apples. Apples have been around for over 3000 years and they are prepared and eaten in so many ways.
Fact: Did you know that one medium apple has 80 calories and is a source of Vitamin C and Fibre?
Some of my favourite apples are listed below but there are literally hundreds you can pick at local orchards all over Ontario.
- Red Delicious
- Granny Smith
- Northern Spy
- Golden Delicious
As we roll into the Fall season starting September 22 at 10:49 am according to the Old Farmer’s Almanac I remember everything that we did to grow our gardens. It started with planting my packets of vegetable seeds in early March to the bountiful crop we have before us. We are far from having a sustainable living like our mates at Lil Suburban Homestead but we certainly have learned alot from Karen and how it can impact the budget. It’s times like this that make me smile and get me planning for the next years sow and grow.
- What did we learn that was new?
- How will I make our garden better?
- When will we start to grow?
- What will we grow?
In the past couple of weeks we picked up some red peppers at the shop that were on sale for $0.57 lb. I’m sure at one point they will go up to $3.99lb so now is the time to buy. As soon as I got home I cleaned, chopped and weighed them up into freezer bags ready for the fall/winter frugal meals we will be preparing. When we can buy such items or stockpile items that will last and that are very cheap it helps keep the grocery budget at a level playing field during the off-season.
Here is this weeks Grocery Game Coupon Match-ups for Sept 7-13 compliments of Save Big Live Better who also has a new site you may want to check out Cooking Up Crafts! You can also submit your favourite craft or recipe for a chance to WIN a weekly prize of $10~
What is our Monthly Grocery Budget for 2? $190 including Health and Beauty and Laundry. Here is last weeks shop if you haven’t posted you have all month to post your grocery shops to WIN! You will also read in last weeks post our year to date totals for grocery shopping and grocery savings using Canadian coupons and flyer specials.
Totals to Date for September $7.26
- 1x Catelli pasta Sale $1.47- $1.00
- 1x Knorr Chicken Broth Mix Sale $7.88 for 900 g save $5.xx ( I’ll be going back to pick up more using the Buy any 3 Knorr Products get 1 FREE)
- 1x Tetley Chai Tea Sale $2.00-$1.00
- 1x broccoli- Sale $0.97
- 1x Lemon Grass $0.88
- 1x Romaine Lettuce Sale $0.87
Total Coupons Used: $2.00
Total Out of Pocket: $12.07
- 1 case of Red Rose Tea Sale $1.99 x12
- 8x Primo Pasta Sale $0.88 900g packages
- 3x old elpaso kits with $4.00 off beef (this is worth it if you can get the kits at $2.99) I tend to make my own tortillas now but if I can save $2.00 on my beef or chicken by buying the kits with the $4.00 coupon I will save $2.00)
- 3 x beef $4.55, $4.57, $4.58
- Fresh Ginger $0.94
- 4x Lactancia Milk Sale $3.88- $1.00 coupons (I will go back for 4 more tomorrow so I will add it on now)
- 4x Lactancia Milk Sale $3.88- $1.00 coupons
- Chicken $4.00 – FPC from company
- 1x cucumber Sale $0.88
Total Coupons Used: $24.00
Total Out Of Pocket: $72.85
- 1x Sour Cream $2.59-$1.00
- 2x Large eggs Sale $1.99- Buy 2 save $1.00 (coupon zone coupon)
- 2x Mac and Cheese for our house guest Sale 2/$1.00
- 2x Granulated Sugar Sale $1.99
- 1x Ace Olive Bread (I don’t always make it but it’s great when it’s got a pink sticker 50% off) $4.99-50%
- 2x French Bread Sliced $1.89-50%
- 6x gum sale $2.00
Total Coupons Used:$2.00
Total PC Points Used: $20.00
Total Out of Pocket: $4.96
Weekly Grocery Game Challenge Results for Mr. and Mrs. CBB
- Total Grocery Budget for the Month: $190.00
- Total Coupons Used this Week $28.00
- Total Spent This Week $72.85+$4.96+$12.07=$89.88
- Total Spent So Far for September $7.26+$89.88=$97.14
- Total Over/
Underspend this shop : $25.88
- Total Over/Under spend for the month of September $0
- Total Left to Spend for the Month: $92.88
Well we went over budget for the week but we are still under budget for the month. It was certainly hard to resist milk for $2.88 a bag so we stocked up and put it in the freezer. I also have a tea fetish if you can’t tell (hey I’m British) so I bought a case of Red Rose tea although it’s not my favourite tea, it will calm my desires for a nice cuppa. We have just under $100 left to spend for the month… I think we can do it!
How much did you spend this week for your grocery shop? Post your grocery shop today in the comment section and WIN!!
Congrats again to our August WINNER Joanna C!
Are you NEW to Canadian Budget Binder?
If you are new Start here!
Do you have a Question for Mr.CBB please click HERE to ask him!
Are you playing our food shopping game? How much is your Grocery Budget for the month and how many people does it feed?
Here are The Grocery Game Challenge Rules- You can start any time of the month and post all month-long even if your weeks don’t coincide with mine. It’s all about tracking!
You can also subscribe to Canadian Budget Binder so you don’t miss a blog post. Fill in your email address on the HOME page of the blog off to the left where it says “Subscribe Via Email”- No Spam, I promise!
Are you on Mr.CBB’s Blog Roll? Check HERE… if not and you want me to check out your blog and add you to my ever-growing blog roll simply click here and fill out the form. Introduce yourself and lets LINK UP!
- Groceries! (hebslimdown.wordpress.com)
- The Grocery Game Challenge Sept 3-9,2012 Back to School! (canadianbudgetbinder.com)
- Urban harvest – a bucket full of crab apples (permacultureprocess.wordpress.com)
- Taking My Life Back While Getting Fit On A Budget! (canadianbudgetbinder.com)
- Reader Question: Meal Planning For The Budget (canadianbudgetbinder.com)
Photo credit apples: Copyright (c) <a href=’http://www.123rf.com’>123RF Stock Photos</a>