Pumpkin was not something I grew up with in the UK as my mum never really served pumpkin pie or pumpkin anything for that matter. It wasn’t until I moved to Canada and my mother-in-law served me pumpkin cheesecake that I was first time I was introduced to the unique flavour in a dessert. Over the years I tasted pumpkin pie, pumpkin scones,pumpkin cookies, pumpkin cheesecake and pumpkin bars all of which tempted me to create my pumpkin spice pound cake recipe this Fall.
When the leaves begin to fall and the colours turn there’s something special about the Fall scenery, big bright orange pumpkins and warm Fall spices fill the air. We not only decorate the front of our house with pumpkins and corn stalks we now aim to create our own tradition for the season using this gourd-like squash better known as winter squash.
Today I present to you a recipe that I created using pumpkin purée and seasonal spices such as nutmeg, pumpkin spice, cinnamon and all-spice. I created a rich buttery homemade pumpkin spice pound cake and topped it with a brown butter pumpkin spice butter-cream. I made this in a tube pan as well as a muffin tin but you could also use a bundt pan. You can make this recipe into pumpkin muffins simply by pouring them in a muffin tin like I did. Yield 12 Muffins.
This homemade pound cake is sweet and spicy and tastes like you are biting into a nice thick piece of traditional pumpkin pie but without the crust. If you want your pumpkin pie fix without the crust this is your cake. It’s such a moist pound cake with the pumpkin purée you will have to stop yourself from eating more than one piece. Although the buttercream frosting lends just the right amount of sweetness you can enjoy this easy to make cake without any frosting at all.
The bright orange colour is fancy enough to serve at any Traditional Thanksgiving or Fall Season gathering with friends or family. The cost to make this cake is around $7-10 but you can’t beat that for a fresh cake made with your own 2 hands. You know what ingredients you put in and you know that it will mean more to you than any store-bought cake (that’s if you can find one like this) This would also make a lovely gift or dessert if you are off to a dinner party.
Mr. CBB’s Pumpkin Spice Pound Cake With Brown Butter Buttercream Frosting
- Stand mixer or bowl and
- Can opener
- Tube Cake Pan
- measuring cups and spoons
- Paper towel
- 25 minutes
- 55 minutes – Tube Cake
- 35 minutes -Muffins
- 12 slices
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 can of Pumpkin Purée (mine was 15 oz ED. Smith)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup of brown sugar dark and packed tight
- 1 cup butter softened
- 6 large eggs at room temperature
- 1.5 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups cake flour or all-purpose flour ( I used cake flour)
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon for top of cake
- 1/4 teaspoon All-spice
- 3/4 cup of buttermilk **Note: If you do not have buttermilk you can make a buttermilk substitute** Simply add one teaspoon of white vinegar into a measuring cup then add milk until it reaches 1 cup. You will need the extra for the buttercream. Let stand about 5-15 minutes and it should curdle and will work the same as buttermilk.
- Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees
- Grease a tube pan with some butter and dust with some flour
- Open your can of pumpkin. You will need to drain the liquid which is easily done. Line a strainer with paper towel and set it over a bowl. Add the pumpkin purée then top with paper towel. Push down a bit to release the pumpkin liquid. Let this stand for 10 minutes of so . (Do not throw out the juice)
- Pour the pumpkin into a bowl or stand mixer
- Add the brown sugar, sugar and butter
- Mix on medium speed until well blended
- Add the eggs one at a time until they are well incorporated
- Add in the sour cream and mix
- Add in the pumpkin purée and the vanilla and mix
- Measure your flour onto a piece of waxed paper and add all the spices- pumpkin, cinnamon, all-spice,nutmeg, salt,baking soda, baking powder and mix it around with a spoon until blended
- Starting with your flour add some into the mixer in equal parts, then the buttermilk, then the flour, buttermilk and you should end with the flour. (hold back 6 tablespoons of buttermilk for the buttercream)
- Mix until well blended then pour into your greased and floured tube pan or greased muffin tins
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 55 minutes or until a toothpick is inserted and comes out clean. Muffins will take around 35 minutes.
- Cool for 15 minutes then invert onto a wire rack to cool further
Brown Butter Buttercream
- 1/2 cup pumpkin purée juice
- 1 cup butter at room temperature divided into half cups
- 5 cups of powdered sugar (icing sugar)
- 2 teaspoons of pure vanilla extract
- 3 to 6 tablespoons of buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin spice
- In a sauce pan melt half of a cup of butter on low until it turns a brown colour. Remove from heat and cool
- In a large bowl or mixer add the other half cup of butter and beat well then add in the brown butter and mix well.
- Add the sugar, vanilla, pumpkin purée juice and mix.
- Beat in the buttermilk 1 tablespoon at time until it looks like you can easily spread the buttercream
Spread the buttercream on your cooled muffins or Pumpkin spice pound cake and sprinkle with cinnamon. You can serve this with a hot cup of coffee, tea or a nice big glass of cold milk.
What recipes do you make with Pumpkin?
Are you NEW to Canadian Budget Binder?
If you are new Start here!
Do you have a Question for Mr.CBB please click HERE to ask him!
You can also subscribe to Canadian Budget Binder so you don’t miss a blog post. Fill in your email address on the HOME page of the blog off to the left where it says “Subscribe Via Email”- No Spam, I promise!
Are you on Mr.CBB’s Blog Roll? Check HERE… if not and you want me to check out your blog and add you to my ever-growing blog roll simply click here and fill out the form. Introduce yourself and lets LINK UP!
- Pumpkin Scones (cravingthis.wordpress.com)
- Pumpkin Pie Pancakes (lifesabowl.com)
- Pumpkin Pie Cake with Cinnamon Buttercream Frosting (ravienomnoms.com)
- Easy Pumpkin Flavored Coffee Beverages (crosscountrycafe.wordpress.com)
- Mr.CBB’s Creamy Apple Caramel Harvest Muffins (canadianbudgetbinder.com)
- Mr.CBB’s Mum’s British Lemon Fridge Cake (canadianbudgetbinder.com)
Photo credit: Copyright (c) <a href=’http://www.123rf.com’>123RF Stock Photos</a