This is the last week for the Grocery Game Challenge for the month of November. As we ramp up for the next few weeks of snow, shopping, wrapping and parties we will try our best to stick to the budget. We thought it would be one of those month’s that we could make it through but we were wrong. There’s something about November and December and our grocery budget that it just sky rockets if we are not careful. We were doing well up until last week when we had just over $1.81 in the budget to spend but so many great deals popped up. We realized it can be hard to say no to these amazing deals that you know you can stockpile because you WILL use them. The harder part is knowing you have the money to pay for them. So, sadly we went over budget this month BUT the good news is we are away for a couple of weeks in December so we won’t need much. The hard part is IF great deals pop up which we are betting they will. This time of year the shops are in high competition mode and the deals just sort of jump out.
Mrs.CBB and I discussed our Grocery Budget this morning and came to some conclusions.
- We can’t afford to add pet food into our $190 budget every month
- We need money for bulk buying great items with or without coupons
- We will need to add more money in our grocery budget for 2013 to compensate for inflation
- We need to add more money to our Christmas fund for Christmas items
What we have done is moved the pet food purchases (including bird seed) to the pet category of our budget. I will change the numbers come December. Come January our grocery budget will jump around 2% and we will have a category for bulk buying. The bulk buying will be a projected expense so we don’t go ahead and think we have x amount to spend each month and spend it all. It’s only there for bulk buying or great deals using coupons. If not it gets saved and at the end of the year we will roll what’s left into our emergency savings account. We will also make changes to the Christmas Category come the new year. I’ll get more into all of this in my budget update for November and December. I just wanted to let you know that we are analyzing our spending pattern based on our shops in the grocery game challenge so we are being realistic with our goals. This grocery game has really been one of the smartest things we have done for our budget this year.
Let it snow seems to be the theme around our house although I’m not the chief motivator praying to the environmental gods above. Mrs.CBB wants to see the white fluffy snow as I do too just not so much that I have to shovel every hour on the hour. So please be kind mother nature but make sure there is enough for all those that need it and desire it. I am hoping for a white Christmas as it’s something I often did not see growing up.
Do you enjoy a White Christmas?
- 3 x Crispers Sale $1.00-$0.50 coupons (Christmas snacks for guests)
- 3 x Taco Kits (the gift that keeps on giving so we can use the $4.00 beef coupons Sale $2.99 each. (dropped off at Metro to donate)
- 30 x Alymer Accents Tomatoes $1.00 each – 15 x buy 2 save $1.00 Bulk Buy
- 6 x Bertoli Extra Virgin Olive Oil- Sale $2.47-$1.00 coupons Bulk Buy
- 10 x Asian Noodles Sale 2/$1.00
- 1 x Crisco Shortening Sale $2.00-$1.00 coupon
- 8 X Dempsters Whole Grains $1.99- 50% pink sticker
- 3 x beef all free with taco kit $5.56-30%-coupon=FREE,$5.59-30%-coupon=FREE, $5.46-30%-coupon=Free
- 1 x Pineapple Sale $1.00
- 1 x Cabbage Sale $1.04
- 3 lb Red onions Sale $1.77
- 1 x Romaine Lettuce Sale $0.87
- Gala Apples $1.97
Sub Total- $101.48
Total Coupons Used $42.86
Total Out of Pocket- $58.62
- 4 x Indian Tea 72′s reduced $0.99 Bulk Buy
- 4 x Nescafe Instant Coffee Sale $3.88 Bulk Buy
- 2 x Broccoli Sale $0.88 ea
- Fresh Ginger $0.72
- 2 x packs of Cedar Black Olives Sale $2.99 ea Bulk Buy
- 4 x extra old cheddar sale $3.88 ea Bulk Buy
Total Out of Pocket- $44.35
Shoppers Drug Mart
- 2 x eggs Sale $1.99 each
Total Out of Pocket- $3.98
Total Grocery Budget for the Month for 2 Adults: Goal-$190.00 at $63.33 for 3 weeks of shopping with 1 No-Shop Week per month.
Weekly Grocery Game Challenge Results for Mr. and Mrs. CBB
- Total Grocery Budget for the Week: $63.33
- Total Coupons Used this Week:$42.86
- Total Scanning Code of Practice: $0
- Total Spent This Week:$106.95
- Total Spent So Far for November: $99.21+75.13+$14.48+$106.95=$295.77
- Total Over/Under spend this shop: $105.14
- Total Over/Under spend for the month of November: $105.77
- Total Left to Spend for the Month: $0
- Total Coupons Used This Month : $45.33 + $10.00 Spending Card+$15.99+$17.50+$42.86=$131.68
Overall: With the overspend this month we will deduct it from Decembers grocery budget leaving us $84.23 to spend for December. We finally got rid of those taco kit coupons. We bought them in the summer for our guests so they could try tacos in Canada when they visited. This year has been an eye opener for us and I hope for you as well if you post your shop. If you want to share your grocery game story for the year send me an email.
- Do I have to be Canadian to post my Grocery Shop?
No, you don’t have to be Canadian to post your shops only to win a monthly prize. We have a few posters from around the world.
- When does the Grocery Game Close each month?
The Grocery Game Challenge Closes at Midnight of the last Sunday of the last post for the month. You can post your shops all month-long.
- Does Your Grocery Budget Include Health and Beauty and Laundry?
Yes our Grocery Budget includes such items as shampoo, conditioner, laundry soap, fabric softener, dish soap etc. We don’t mind stockpiling items that won’t be effected by expiry dates or have long expiry dates but not so much food any more. It’s just one way to help cut your budget to save money.
There are many places you can find Canadian Coupons whether it be in store or via the mail.
Canadian Coupon Match-Ups- Match your coupons with flyer sales!
Here are your latest Coupon Match-ups of the week from around Canada compliments of Save Big Live Better.
- The Grocery Game Challenge Nov 19-25-Black Friday and 35 Days Til Christmas (canadianbudgetbinder.com)
- The Grocery Game Challenge Nov 5-11, 2012- Holiday Baking Planning (canadianbudgetbinder.com)
- The Grocery Game Challenge November 12-18,2012 Ho,Ho,Ho,Holiday Treats! (canadianbudgetbinder.com)
Photo Credit: Copyright (c) <a href=’http://www.123rf.com’>123RF Stock Photos</a>