Forget about learning how to make a strawberry cheesecake when you can make these strawberry cheesecake streusel muffins to satisfy your sweet tooth.
I found this strawberry muffin I created to be a dense white muffin with the amount of eggs I used but moist because of the yogurt. I used the same muffin base similar to my white cake batter that I use for other cakes as I wanted it to hold the strawberries without making the muffin soggy.
If you like desserts with strawberries, you might just fancy this strawberry muffin because it’s one of those easy strawberry desserts that don’t take hours to set or cool to enjoy. It’s not often we get strawberries in our house, fresh ones at that and since we had tubs of cream cheese in the refrigerator we got to work in the kitchen.
What Are Strawberries?
We have wild strawberries growing on our front lawn although they don’t produce any fruit. Maybe that’s a good thing otherwise we’d be holding a strawberry festival out front with the neighbours. I’ll be ripping it all out though when I do the landscaping.
The Strawberry was first grown in France in the late 18th century and was also used for medicinal purposes in the 1500’s. Strawberries are also known as Fragaria x ananassa a hybrid species which is an aggregate accessory fruit not a botanical. What that means is that the fleshy part does not come from the pants ovaries rather it comes from the receptacle that holds the ovaries. I’m no fruitologist (did I just make that up) but it sounds pretty scientific to me.
The little seeds on the outside of the fruit are considered ovaries of the flower with a seed inside. Who knew such a thing, all I know is that I like strawberries-Wikipedia The history of the strawberry is quite fascinating and if you want to learn more you find all sorts of information in the link above.
Strawberries are bright red in colour, beautiful to the eye, juicy and you can’t stop eating them once you start. Many people enjoy strawberries as they are or mixed with dairy such as whipped cream or cream cheese. You can also make strawberry ice-cream, strawberry jam, strawberry milkshakes and so on.
It’s not like a strawberry cheesecake cake or what you believe a cheesecake is it’s a bit different. I thought cheesecake would be fitting since it’s a fine layer of cream cheese that I layer on top of the muffin. Believe me when I say you don’t need to buy commercial muffin mix to create your own muffins from scratch. Muffin baking is dead easy and with a little bit of prep work you too can enjoy these strawberry streusel muffins with a hot beverage. ( I fancy tea)
When you make the strawberry muffin mix the first thing you want to do is slice your strawberries thin and dust them with a bit of flour, then set them aside. If you dust them with the flour they won’t all sink to the bottom or bleed colour through the muffin, unless you want it to. Since these are white muffins it may just give you the swirly strawberry effect which could actually look pretty neat. For this recipe though I dusted the berries with flour.
This strawberry muffin has a top layer of a cream cheese mixture that you spoon in on top of the strawberry muffin batter. I’ll be honest and tell you that I wasn’t sure what would happen but I figured it can’t be that bad with cream cheese. I secretly thought I might get a thicker cream cheese layer but realistically the cheese melts and since it’s a sweet cheese mix it becomes more like a glaze. I was right, it turned out great, phew!
The cream cheese layer soaks into the top of the muffin to give you a thin glaze like creaminess. On top of that I created a basic streusel topping by adding a mixture of cinnamon-brown sugar, butter, flour and fresh nutmeg. I topped it with a thick slice of a fresh strawberry pushed down with my fingers so it sits right on top of the batter. I think a streusel topping for muffins gives a muffin just a bit of crunch and sweetness that any muffin, cake or dessert deserves. The streusel topping would essentially be the same or similar to streusel for pie or streusel for a crisp that I’ve used many times.
I wouldn’t say it would be considered a recipe of healthy muffins although I refrained from using lots of sugar inside the muffin which is perfectly fine on its own without the streusel topping, if that’s something you don’t prefer. If you prefer a sweeter muffin then you might want to add a bit more sugar to the batter.
If you want to make this a little less sweet omit the streusel topping or cut back on how much streusel you make and use. If you really want to make the muffin moist you could poke holes over the top and when they come out the oven spoon a strawberry-sugar-water reduction, like a strawberry simple syrup over the holes so the muffin soaks it all up. You could also add in some liqueur to the mix to jazz it up even further.
I took the strawberry muffin one step further and cut the steaming hot muffin fresh from the oven, topped with fresh vanilla whipped cream and more fresh sliced strawberries. This is one of those desserts you want to tuck into but won’t be so sweet that it’s sickly.
I made 12 large and I mean large strawberry muffins with this batter. If you have the standard size muffin tins I reckon you could make about 2 dozen from this recipe. Baking muffins is easier than baking a cake in my opinion but certainly won’t take as long so take good care of your muffins and test them with a toothpick. If the toothpick comes out clean you know your muffin is done. Don’t overcook the muffins or any cake for that matter as it will dry it out. I also make sure the tops of my muffins are a golden colour if it’s a vanilla based muffin like this one is.
How To Make Muffins
Each section has ingredients and preparation right underneath it. At the end I tell you how to put it all together. It’s a very simple muffin recipe.
- A bowl
- Stand Mixer or bowl and hand mixer
- Measuring Cups
- Large Muffin Tin (or standard size muffin tin)
- Approx 12 extra large muffins or 2 dozen standard muffins
- Prep Time : 15-20 minutes
- Cook Time: 25-30 minutes (depending on your oven)
- 350 degrees
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 cups All-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup Plain or Greek Yogurt
- 2 cups strawberries
- strawberry slice for the top of each muffin
- 2-3 tablespoons flour to dust strawberries
- 2 tbsps baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- In your mixer add your butter and sugar and blend until combined
- Add in your vanilla and eggs and blend
- Add in your buttermilk and yogurt and blend
- Add in your dry ingredients sifted flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda and mix until combined
- Once the batter is smooth remove from the stand mixer
- With a spatula gently fold in the strawberries which you coated with flour into the muffin batter
- 3/4 cup cream cheese softened
- 1/4 cup granulated white sugar
- 1 large egg beaten
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- grated peel of 1/2 lime (if you don’t have a lime you can use orange or lemon for that little hint of citrus)
- 1/2 teaspoon of the juice of your lime
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Mix all ingredients into a bowl together until smooth
- 6 tbsps butter
- 4 tbsp of brown sugar (or granulated whatever you prefer)
- 4 tbsp of cinnamon (mix sugar and cinnamon to make cinnamon sugar)
- 1/2 cup flour
- teaspoon grated fresh nutmeg
- Mix everything but the butter together in a bowl.
- Add in the butter and rip it apart with your fingers into pea size chunks while mixing it with the dry ingredients
Putting the Strawberry Muffin Together
- Grease your muffin tins or spray them with cooking spray
- Add in the muffin batter 3/4 to the top
- Add in 1 tablespoon of cheesecake mixture (if you find you have more batter don’t be shy to add it on as it soaks into the muffin when cooking)
- Top with streusel about a tablespoon on each muffin to cover the top (more or less)
- Slice a strawberry and gently press it into the top
- Bake in the oven at 350 degrees until a toothpick come out clean, about 25-30 mins depending on your oven
- Serve with whipped cream or a Greek Yogurt and fresh sliced strawberries or other fresh fruits.
What’s your favourite strawberry dessert?
- Are you NEW to Canadian Budget Binder?
- Follow Me on Social Media: Twitter, Facebook , Pinterest , StumbleUpon, Reddit and Google+
- Plus! Don’t forget to Subscribe to the blog so you get my daily email!!
- If you need to get in touch with me the best way is on Facebook!
- Mr.CBB’s Buttermilk Chocolate Chip Banana Bread (canadianbudgetbinder.com)
- Simple, Easy, Crockpot Cheesy Potatoes (lilsuburbanhomestead.com)
- Mr.CBB’s Cheesy Crock-Pot Lasagna (canadianbudgetbinder.com)
- Ooooh la la Apple Enchiladas (lilsuburbanhomestead.com)
- Mr.CBB’s Toasted Coconut Custard Tarts (canadianbudgetbinder.com)
- Cheesy Melt In Your Mouth Biscuits (lilsuburbanhomestead.com)
- Crispy Fresh Spring Rolls (canadianbudgetbinder.com)