I love muffins of any kind even at breakfast and they are so easy to make that if you have kids you can get them involved with the process.
If you are one of those people who makes their morning stop off at Tim Horton’s for a coffee and a muffin, you don’t need to.
It’s not only lighter on the wallet if you make your coffee at home but any of the muffins they offer are so easy to make in your own kitchen.
With a few ingredients you can make a mountain of muffins that just tumble into you mouth at any time of day or night.
Today I am going to share with you the basic muffin mix that I always use for making the various muffins that come out of this kitchen.
After I have the basic muffin mix ready all I do is add in my delicious ingredients. You can add blueberries, chocolate chips, raisins, oats, coconut, cranberries, whatever you fancy.
You guys all know me well enough by now and know that I always mix things up a little and experiment a lot. I also like to bake with what’s in season so freshness and taste is superior.
There’s no fun in making the same old muffins in the kitchen so stirring the pot a bit by trying new ingredients is fun for me and my family loves to test out these new muffins that I create.
If you are a fan of carrot cake or a carrot muffin I’m pretty sure you’ll like this muffin with a twist today.
This orange and carrot breakfast muffin is great for freezing too and with a microwave it’s so easy to warm up just a couple up for the kids to have at breakfast time.
Earlier this year if you recall I made and shared my recipe for Carrot & Orange Marmalade which is so simple to make.
If you haven’t made orange marmalade before it yet it’s a must especially now that a lot of oranges on sale in the supermarket this time of year.
Just the other day I got a bag for 50% off on the reduced rack but if you shop around or look for flyer deals you can pick oranges up for a great price.
The orange marmalade taste is tangy and great for this orange and carrot breakfast muffin recipe but any orange marmalade will do.
- 2½ Cups (375g) self-raising (all-purpose) flour
- 90g butter
- 1 cup (220g) caster (granulated) sugar
- 11/4 cups (310ml) buttermilk
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- Grated peel of 1 orange plus ½ of juice
- ½ Jar Orange Carrot Marmalade (see recipe link in post)
- Grease 12 hole muffin pan.
- Sift flour into large bowl and rub in butter
- Stir in sugar, orange juice, orange peel, buttermilk and egg. Do not over-mix, batter should be lumpy
- Now gently stir in marmalade
- Spoon mixture into prepared pans.
- Bake in a moderately hot oven at 190oC/375oF for about 20 minutes.
Now for extra zing I sometimes put a little sprinkle of lemon-sugar on the top of the orange carrot breakfast muffin.
When the fruit goes on sale that’s a good indication of exactly what type of muffin I am going to make. This is just another of my go-to muffin recipes that I have on hand all the time for my family. I hope you enjoy this muffin as much as we do.
Enjoy Nicky xx
Are You New To Canadian Budget Binder?
- Follow Me on Social Media: Twitter, Facebook , Pinterest , Stumble Upon, Reddit and Google+
- Don’t forget to Subscribe to the blog so you get my daily email.
- If you need to get in touch with me the best way is on Facebook.
- Check out my new Free Recipe Index
- If you like FREE then click this link for my FREE Excel Budget Spreadsheet and all my Free Money Saving Lists!
- Check out my new Ultimate Grocery Shopping Guide