Who thought that going shopping would be so rewarding? Believe me when I say joining the Nielsen Homescan Canada panel will open up a window of rewards to you because I’ve done it in the UK.
Note: If the link to Join is closed please be patient until they open up a new campaign. This means they have reached their limit but come back to check often.
Nielsen studies consumers in over 100 countries because they want to know what you like to buy! I remember the time when my wife came to the UK and we went grocery shopping together for the first time.
Not only was she reading just about every product she could get her hands on (it took forever to shop with her) I was also explaining to her a little about this program I was involved in. I think it made more sense to her once I showed her my scanner and exactly what I needed to do.
When we got home she wanted to help me put all the groceries away but I told her that we had to wait a moment so I could check everything over and scan them in. Scan them in? She had this look on her face like I was nuts but clearly she had never heard of the program I was part of.
I would then be rewarded points which I was able to redeem for gift cards, CD’s, electronics, appliances and even jewellery.
She thought this was the most amazing rewards program since she is a frugal shopper herself but wasn’t aware of such a thing in Canada.
Well, there is such a thing and you can sign up now to Nielsen Homescan Canada to register as a potential participant in their program. You must be 18+ to sign up.
There is only one application per household so don’t bother signing up multiple times. Once they receive your application they put you on reserve (wait list) and offer free scanners randomly but you MUST apply to be on the reserve list.
The Nielsen Homescan Consumer Panel is a “mini-Canada”, representing Canadian consumers. By scanning the bar codes on their purchases and completing fun surveys, panelists truly make their opinions count in the consumer marketplace.
The Nielsen Company is the world’s leading provider of marketing information, audience measurement, and business media products and services.
The more you shop the more points you can earn and you can do it any time of day right from the comfort of your own home. I normally did it as soon as I got home so I wouldn’t forget.
Shop For House Hold Goods as you normally would and Collect Valuable Gift Points and Redeem them for Awesome Gifts!
Participate by scanning bar codes on your purchases, completing fun surveys, panelists truly make their opinions count in the consumer marketplace.
Scan to redeem for merchandise
What can you get with your reward points?
Once you scan the UPC Code-Universal Product Code (bar code) with your free scanner on just about everything you buy that information gets transferred through the scanner to Nielsen Canada and you are rewarded points.
You can redeem your points from their Homescan gift catalogue to get anything ranging from gift-cards to electronics, toys and even household items.
If you are chosen they will contact you with more in-depth details about the program. I’ve signed up in Canada now because I’d love to get back into the swing of things. I’m used to scanning my groceries so why not do it again?
The one reward that meant the most to me was when my refrigerator broke down in my UK house. I was stuck with all my food in the middle of what we call winter (it was cold). I had to put the contents of my refrigerator in a cooler and left it out on the deck to stay cold. I had no other options or I would have had to toss all the food in the garbage.
I didn’t have the cash at the time to buy a new refrigerator as it was all tied up in the house and although I had a small emergency savings I didn’t view that as an emergency.(some of you might cringe but hey I wasn’t home that much) I was single and I was fine keeping it in the cooler until I saved up the money to buy one.
The great news was that I didn’t need to save up any money because I had enough rewards points from the Homescan program to get a shiny new refrigerator for FREE! It felt so good redeeming my points for something I did to help companies market products that consumers come to love.
Once I moved to Canada I had to give up my scanner but now I’m hopping I get accepted into the program with Nielsen Homescan Canada so I can do it all over again.
If you want to sign up your family don’t wait>>> getting involved is easy but you have to fill out the Nielsen Homescan forms to see if you qualify for the scanner.
NIELSEN HOMESCAN CANADA USER SPEAKS UP!
But WAIT… that’s not all. If you don’t believe me how awesome the Nielsen Homescan Canada Program is listen to what CBB fan Nicola has to say!
It was great that Nicola who shares her recipes on Canadian Budget Binder is part of the Nielsen Homescan team and was able to share her experience using the hand-scanner and participating in consumer feedback for all of us today.
It’s always nice when you hear first-hand experiences so we can make decisions based from that of others who are successful with the Nielsen Homescan program.
Hi Mr.CBB and Fans!
Being a member of the Nielsen Homescan brings many rewards and all you have to do is scan your shopping. When I say scan your shopping this means I scan everything from gas, groceries even clothing and toys with the hand-held device they provided me with.
The scanner is pretty easy to set up and hook up to your computer. It gets even better as during the year they put on double points events for scanning all items and bonuses for answering extra special surveys.
Now these surveys last for a week but you earn up to $45 for the week which is great especially if you like saving for Christmas or a special occasion.
I have gotten cinema tickets, Chapters & Indigo gift cards and yes I have also done the week-long challenge for a $45 Visa gift-card.
They have the odd survey too during the month but unlike most it’s not a constant hustle of filling up to 3 or 4 surveys a day for the same amount of points if not more- Nicola D.
Good Luck and let me know when you are accepted to share your experiences with the Canadian Budget Binder fans!!
Once again here is the link to sign up>>> I want to be part of the Nielsen Homescan Canada Program!!
Nielsen Homescan Canada is an affiliate of Canadian Budget Binder.Nielsen photos courtesy of Nielsen Homescan Canada Facebook page.
December grocery game challenge posts
If you missed any grocery game posts for the month I will post the line-up for the month each week here in this section for you. Join in the Grocery Game Challenge fun and post your grocery shop in the comment section of each blog post… here are the GGC rules!
- Types of Food Bank Donations: The Grocery Game Challenge #1 Dec 1-7, 2014
- Do you track money-back from rewards in your budget? – The Grocery Game Challenge #2 Dec 8-14, 2014
Grocery Saving Tips
Click, Save and Print. It’s that easy!
NEW: Sign up today! >>> Homescan Canada! Join the Neilson Homescan consumer panel. If chosen you will receive rewards by scanning the bar code on your grocery purchases and completing fun surveys with the scanner provided to you from Homescan Canada.
One registration per household. Once you sign up using the link above you will be put on a reserve waiting list and randomly selected households will be chosen. Sign up now…. it’s worth it!!
Free Money Saving Downloads are awesome lists that were created to get us on track to work towards reaching our budgeting goals and now we are sharing them with you.
I hope you take the time to get back on track and start the savings process in your grocery budget today.
Get organized with a FREE freezer inventory, meal plan, shopping list, price comparison list and much more all for FREE. CLICK HERE to download all the free lists and even our family budget spreadsheet for FREE.
NEW!! You can now download the FREE Canadian Budget Binder Budget Spreadsheet in Excel…Grab it while you can… It’s FREE! We use it to budget and in large part a reason we could pay our mortgage off in 5 years, check it out!
Ultimate Grocery Shopping Guide
Everything you want to know about grocery shopping in Canada is below with new information added monthly. If you are new here and haven’t had a chance to read past posts grab yourself a beverage, sit down, relax and enjoy some educational reading material on ways to save money in your grocery budget.
If you missed a Grocery Game Challenge post some of the most popular posts are listed below or you can now find the posts listed on their own page called The Ultimate Grocery Shopping Guide.
If you know a topic that should be discussed send me an email.
Grocery shop results
If you are a foodie like I am you will enjoy going through my Free Recipe Index where recipes from CBB foodie Nicola and myself are shared every Sunday on the blog. Check it out! Try a recipe and leave a review for other fans!
Shoppers Drug Mart
- 1 x 4L Milk $3.97
- Dozen Eggs $1.99
- Campbell’s soup $0.49
Total out-of-pocket $ 6.45
Check Out Our Grocery Budget
Yearly grocery budget for two: $2820
(The above total does not include the stockpile budget of $240 per year or $20 per month.)
- Total Grocery Budget for the Month: $235.00 or $78.33 week with potentially one no-shop week per month or $58.75 for 4 weeks per month. (During the months with 5 weeks we just make it work)
- Total Budget for November $235.00 This months grocery shop leaves us $265.78 over budget!! Our November and December grocery budget total will be as follows $470-$265.78=$204.22 or $102.11 to spend each month to keep us on track for 2014.
- Total Coupons Used this Week : $0
- Total Coupons Used to date: $74.19
- Total Discounts this Week: $0
- Total Discounts Used to date: $74.23
- Total Gift Cards Used to date: $33.18
- Total Rewards Points Used: $0
- Total Rewards Points Used to date: $40.00
- Stockpile Budget ($20.00): $20.64
- Stockpile Budget Used to Date: $20.00+$19.08+$17.94+ $2.06+$20.00+$15.10 + $20.00 (June)+ $22.44 (July) + (August) $8.00+ (September) $0 + October $19.92+November $0+Dec $20.64
- Snap Groupon to date: $2.00 (cashed out $23.xx this week)
- Zweet to date: $4.00
- Cart Smart to date: $0
- Checkout51 to date: $12.75
- Scanning Code of Practice (SCOP) $2.99
- Total Spent This Week: $6.45
- Total Spent So Far December $73.73+$5.96=$79.69 (we have $89.72 to spend for the month)
- Total Over/Under spend this shop: $ n/a
- Total Over/Under spend for the month: over $0
- Total Left to Spend for the Month: $15.99-$5.96=$10.03-$6.45= $3.58
- Total to Carry Over Next Month: $ n/a
- Total Spent To Date This Year: (does not include stockpile budget) Jan $242.66+ Feb $191.74+ March $255.82+April $235.07+May $223.62+June $275.37+ July $203.36+ August $228.26+ Sept $272.80+ Oct $451.48+Nov $114.50+ Dec $
Weekly Overview: We are coming down to the wire now and I think we will actually make our grocery budget for the year. There is enough left to buy a bit of milk and we are off on vacation next Monday. I’ll do a year-end tally in January. Still one week to go for 2014.
Did you find any coupons? If so share the details in the comment section of this post where you found it and what the coupon is for with expiry.
Since we only made a trip to Shoppers for milk, eggs and soup this week we have no coupons to report.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Grocery Game Challenge RULES: Read the rules first and if you have any questions email me or comment on this post with your question and someone will answer you as soon as possible.
- Do I have to be Canadian to post my Grocery Shop?: No, you don’t have to be Canadian to post your shops only to win a monthly prize. We have fans who post their grocery shop who live all over the world.
- When does the Grocery Game close each month?: The Grocery Game Challenge closes at midnight of the last Sunday of the last post for the month. You can post your shops all month-long.
- Does your Grocery Budget include health and beauty and laundry products?: Yes our Grocery Budget includes such items as shampoo, conditioner, laundry soap, fabric softener, dish soap etc. We don’t mind stockpiling items that won’t be affected by expiry dates or have long expiry dates but not so much food any more. It’s just one way to help cut your budget to save money.
- Where can I find Canadian Coupons?: Here are your latest
Coupon Match-upsof the week and your weekly Checkout 51 offers from 25 Newspaper Inserts around Canada compliments of Save Big Live Betterthat you can use to help you save money in the Grocery Game Challenge.
- What is an FPC?: An FPC is a free product coupon which means you can get a free product as described on the coupon.
- How Do I Know what stores accept coupons? : You can find all your store coupon policies here. If you are not sure it’s always best to call the store and ask.
- How Do I Grocery Shop?: I can tell you about grocery shopping and what we do in terms of shopping to save money and how it works for us. There are no wrong or right answers, just smart choices.
Over time you will gradually learn where you should and shouldn’t go in the grocery store or at least how to say no, I’m on a budget I need to buy this or that. You may also substitute items in order to stick to your grocery budget to make it work. Nobody is perfect, heck we struggle with this part of our budget like many people do.
This is why the grocery game challenge was created to not only show you that we are like everyone else but to bring us all together to work as a team to get our budgets on track. If you have just joined The Grocery Game Challenge 2014 get ready to dive deep into your grocery budget and learn just where you are spending, how much you are spending and what you are saving.
Feel free to read all the above posts that I linked to above which I feel are relevant to learning about the grocery budget and grocery shopping in general. You’ve made a wise decision to take control of your grocery budget now show me your shops and let’s get saving!
Welcome to The Grocery Game Challenge Canada 2014!
Are You New To Canadian Budget Binder?
- Follow Me on Social media by clicking any of the buttons below on the blog.
- Don’t forget to Subscribe to Canadian Budget Binder by Email to get my daily email. Once you subscribe you MUST VERIFY your email account so check your spam folder and inbox for that email!
- Check out my new Free Recipe Index
- If you like FREE then click this link for my FREE Excel Budget Spreadsheet and all my Free Money Saving Lists!
Please note: When you sign-up for Nielsen Homescan CBB gets paid a portion of money as an affiliate which then helps to fund this blog.
Gift Box and Shopping Cart Photo: Courtesy of Freedigitalphotos.net/StuartMiles