I was in the mood for something sweet so I made this creamy milk toffee which is a popular sweet in Scotland also called the Scottish Tablet.
I picked this milk toffee recipe up from my mum and it’s my go-to recipe which reminds me of sweet moments when I was a little girl.
This Milk Toffee recipe is also called Sucre Creme which happens to be my husband’s favourite treat and he asks me to make it at least once a month.
The interesting part is that you can’t really get Milk Toffee in Canada unless you know somebody who makes it. Oh, wait a minute I do and now so can you. I just so happen to have my mum’s recipe to share with all of you today.
What is Milk Toffee?
Milk Toffee is a bit like Dulce Leche which is a toffee made from simmering condensed milk where it changes the flavour and colour of the condensed milk. It is also comparable to fudge.
Milk Toffee although is sweet and hard but not as hard as a caramel toffee. If you are staring at a can of lonely condensed milk in your pantry or have looked for unique condensed milk recipes this is the one you’ve been waiting for.
It’s a simple frugal treat which would be great to bring along to a picnic or back-yard BBQ this summer or any time of year.
Once you bite into the milk toffee it melts in your mouth leaving a sweet, buttery toffee taste that swirls around your taste-buds dancing. Even writing this recipe today I am anticipating the milk toffee I just made but needs to set so I can only dream about eating it for now.
Milk Toffee is a pretty easy dessert recipe with only 4-ingredients but you are going to need patience as it’s going to need to cool overnight before you can cut into it. I know I can hear you all, but rest assured it’s worth the wait.
If you are really in a pinch for a sweet treat while you are waiting for this to set you can make Mr.CBB’s 5-ingredient peanut butter chocolate chip cookies.
Mum’s recipes are the best and I am really grateful that she has passed many of them down to me so I can share them with my children.
What recipes do you make that were passed down to you?
How to make milk toffee
Prep time: 1 1/2 hours
Makes 1 tray- 7″ by 11″ and 1″ deep pan
- 2lb sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 1 can of condensed milk with ¼ cup removed from it
- Teaspoon butter
- Place sugar, milk and butter in a heavy pan and let it dissolve slowly at a low heat (mine was set at low) for about an hour until the sugar and butter have completely dissolved.
- Now add the sweetened condensed milk and bring up to the boil.
- Once it has reached boiling point turn it right down to the lowest heat and whisk continuously, (you can use one beater on an electric whisk for this), until it starts turning a light brown colour, and starts to come away from the side of the pan. This will take approximately ½ hour.
- You can test the setting consistency by placing a teaspoon of the toffee mixture onto a plate and putting it in the fridge for five minutes. You will know when it's ready as if you press on it should be firm and a clean swipe with your finger should go through it.
- Finally pour into a lightly greased baking tray and leave to cool on the worktop until you are able to put into the fridge to harden overnight
Tip: Before the Milk Toffee sets completely score it with a knife so that it’s easier to divide up.
A great candy for a bit of indulgence if you have a sweet tooth. I know I have one!
Please Subscribe to the blog so you get my daily email and follow me on social media. Get every recipe from Canadian Budget Binder> Check out my new Free Recipe Index.