Traditional Scottish Baps or Buns

traditional scottish bapsBREAD MAKING MADE EASY

Scottish Baps also called buns when homemade are fresh soft pockets of bread that are perfect for a sandwich.

Just recently I started making buns again because the numbers in our budget were just getting too high.

As you all know I love to be busy in the kitchen and looking for ways to help lower our grocery budget.

One thing I like to do is make all the treats we eat in the house instead of buying commercially made products.

My kids enjoy my Milk Toffee, Cinnamon Buns, Cherry Pie Minis, Granola Bars or even my Jam-filled Oatmeal Squares. Honestly, I could go on and on sharing recipes with the amount of homemade baking and cooking that I do. It suits our family and our budget.

We have all discussed the cost of living, and living within our means lately and the biggest thing that was eating into our budget for a long time was bread and buns for sandwiches.

I know you may think I’m joking but yes bread products can easily drive the budget higher each week. I was buying bread at reduced prices and freezing them but was finding they didn’t keep very long. This means I have to watch flyer sales and buy bread as I shop each week so it stays fresh.

My family can easily go through four loaves of bread in one week as well as buns. I would buy a dozen  buns for sandwiches and they are typically gone within a couple of days.

I needed a solution and with a bit of fine tuning I found the easiest and cheapest way to make homemade buns that my family loves for a fraction of the store-bought price.

Costings breakdown to buy the products to make the flour baps/buns but it will depend on each store in province.

This will make loads of Scottish Baps/Buns.

• Flour from Costco $6.99 10kg bag
  • Salt $1.49 1kg box
  • Yeast 2lbs $4.99
  • Milk $4.39 4L jug

What are flour baps and how long do they keep for?

In Scotland we call buns flour baps as mentioned and to be honest they are so easy to make you won’t ever buy buns again.

The small round buns or baps are fluffy inside and keep really well, up to 5 days without going hard. The freshness factor is great because my family loves to have toasted buns on the weekend with my homemade jam or carrot marmalade.

We also like to stuff them with luncheon meats and cheese or butter and eat with homemade chili, stew or soups.  You can have these hot fluffy flour baps ready to eat with-in a couple of hours. If you are anything like us we love to enjoy buns hot out of the oven too.

Do you make homemade buns?

How to make buns or baps

how to make Scottish Baps Buns

Making bread is not as hard as you think it is and I’m betting you will come back to leave me a comment to tell me so. Bread making can be an art but for the home baker this requires the skill of reading and following a recipe.

Prep time: 10 mins
Proof/rise time: 1hr first rise, 20 mins second rise before putting into the oven
Cook time:  15 mins
Oven temp: 190oC/374oF
Yield: 12 buns
Please note the prep time and cook time in this recipe below does not include the proofing time as I am unable to add this to the recipe. (See above for times)
4.5 from 2 reviews
Traditional Scottish Baps Aka Buns

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

If you are a bread lover like everyone in my family these super easy flour baps or buns as we call them are fairly simple to make and will save you money in your grocery budget not to mention the freshness factor.
Author:
Recipe type: Breads
Serves: 12
Ingredients
  • 4½ cups flour
  • ½ cup butter
  • 2 teaspoons sugar
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 cup lukewarm water
  • 1 cup lukewarm milk
  • 4 teaspoons yeast
  • Extra cup of flour for kneading dough
Instructions
  1. Place flour, butter and salt into a bowl and mix until it resembles breadcrumbs.
  2. In a jug place the lukewarm milk, water, sugar and yeast then stir until dissolved. Cover and place in a warm area until frothy
  3. Once frothy mix again and add into the flour mix and stir until it starts coming together to form a dough. I use my mixer for this but you can use a handheld too. Just mix until the beater starts to clog with dough then turn out.
  4. Knead dough until smooth around 5 minutes then place back in the bowl and let rise for 1hr. I use my oven and switch on the light for this.
  5. Once doubled in size punch down and knead again for 5 minutes
  6. Then divide into 12 pieces and roll dough into balls.
  7. You should get all 12 balls onto the baking tray.
  8. Dust bottom of baking tray with flour
  9. Once the baking tray is dusted with flour place dough evenly apart onto tray and then dust again with flour.
  10. I use an old spice jar filled with flour for this. You can use parchment paper too.
  11. Let rise again for another 20 minutes
  12. Now place in the oven for 15 minutes or until the top of the Baps/Buns have turned light brown.
  13. Take of the baking tray and place on cooling tray.

These Scottish Baps/Buns can be frozen once cooled and are great for when you need to do a big brunch or dinner.

-Nicky

Please Subscribe to the blog so you get my daily email and follow me on social media. Get every recipe from Canadian Budget Binder> Check out my new Free Recipe Index.

If you like FREE then click this link for my FREE Excel Budget Spreadsheet and lists. Check out my new Ultimate Grocery Shopping Guide.

Related articles
Nicola Don
Nicola Don was born in Aberdeen Scotland and lived most of her years in Ellon Aberdeenshire ,Scotland. She is a stay at home mom of three kids to whom she adores and a passionate mom chef at heart. Nicola has been married for 16 years to a wonderful husband. Her family moved from the UK 8 years ago to Ste Anne MB, Canada where they are now permanent residents. Nicola loves to cook and experiment with flavours while creating recipes. She aims to give her family the best food and variety of tastes from all over the world while using fresh ingredients with-in her grocery budget.

Comments

1. charles lenover says:

Thanks Nicola
    I love baps,we travelled Scotland last summer in a motor home.
    Always went to town for Bacon and bap in the morning when we could.
    I pretty much do all the cooking as Jackie babysits the grand kids.
    Might you have a recipie for Lorne sausage ?
    I am off to town for milk and do the bap recipie later.
    Kneading is key,I presume

• I wish I had Lorne sausage recipe! Love the stuff. I am making it my mission when I go home to get a recipe, so stay tuned. Oh yes kneading is defo key here. Let me know how they turned out ! Enjoy

2. Nicola Torrington says:

Another thing that makes these different than most breads is the addition of milk, which isn’t that common (though certainly not a rarity) in bread. It does make the finished product softer and less crumbly.

As to instant vs regular yeast: instant yeast doesn’t have to be proofed, and it is also more active than regular yeast. You can use about 25% less instant yeast in your recipe because instant has more living -spores-? Regular has fewer active and thus the need to use more. I would prefer to use instant but I can’t find the 1 lb blocks i.e., larger quantities in that form. So I use regular yeast in all recipes (even those calling for instant – I just proof before I add it) and I always add sugar to help it froth.

3. Kat Airisa says:

I made these a few weeks ago, my first attempt with yeast, and the were fabulous. Best right out of the oven of course, but good later too. My family devoured them. Thank you so much for the recipe. I am making them again for Thanksgiving and Christmas.

4. I followed the recipe and they look the part and taste the part but there heavy on day 2 or a few hours after making them. There not so light and fluffy, yeast has never been my freind and its the first time ive ever had it work so very excited but wondering if theres something i might be doing wrong? Wondering if it could be the kneeding time as i didnt exactly need it for the 5 mins required on both parts of the recipe

• Yes you really need to work the dough for the specific times or they will turn out heavy. Let me know if you try it again.

5. Here’s my question. I’ve been using scotch baps for years in my lunches because they are light and fluffy. I buy them fresh at the grocery store weekly. I find them quite different than any of the other buns sold because they do not appear as heavy. Therefore I don’t feel like I’m eating a lot of bread/wheat during lunch. What is the difference or rather why are they so light compared to other buns sold? I have been curious about this. My schedule is very hectic so I don’t bake bread/ buns etc., might give it a go in retirement maybe. Would really like to know.

• It’s all to do with the kneading and letting them rest and rise. This is what makes them light and fluffy. Let me know if you get a chance to make them and how they turn out.

6. Annie Dempsey says:

Hi Nicola, I made these today and they are fabulous! I am on a tight budget and feeding 4 men. These are definitely on my regular list now.

• Nicola Don says:

Fantastic! Glad I could help! We love it here too. I now use this recipe for bread too all I do is divide the dough into two shape and place into leave tins, wait until they rise and put in the oven. I add an extra 10 mins onto the oven time

7. Note: RapidRise yeast is also called instant yeast.

8. Thank you for sharing this recipe. I fell in love with Scottish baps after buying them at my local supermarket. In the interest in saving money, I figured I would try to make them at home, since I had all the ingredients at hand already.

I had to use much more flour than the recipe called for — close to 6 cups to be precise. The recommended 4.5 cups resulted in a dough that was way too wet to knead. I suspect that the creator of the original recipe used flour that was more densely packed in the bag while mine was more aerated. I will repeat this recipe and weigh the flour I used and report it for future reference for others wanting to re-create this recipe. If you don’t have a food scale, be prepared to adjust for more or less flour.

I used quick-rise/rapid yeast instead of the traditional yeast in the original recipe. It is nice because you cut out the long wait time for rising. To modify the recipe for rapid yeast, add the yeast and sugar to the other dry ingredients, then melt the butter in the milk/water mixture separately. Heat the liquid to lukewarm-plus (120-130 degrees Fahrenheit to be precise instead of a lukewarm 110 degrees Fahrenheit recommended for regular yeast) and then add the liquid to the dry ingredients and mix. After kneading, cover the dough and let it rest for 10 min, then split it into 12 rolls. Place them in the floured tin (I used a tea ball filled with flour to dust the bottom of a Pyrex dish and the top of the buns) and let them rest until they double in size (about 20-30 min). Then bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit until the top slightly browns (approx. 30 min in my oven).

The end product was slightly denser than I wanted, but tasted AMAZING. Everyone loved it. To adjust the density issue in the future, I will use either a larger baking dish, a cookie sheet, or 2 smaller dishes that allow for more room for expansion of the buns when rising. I may also make minor adjustments to the flour amounts (weight measurements to follow).

Some advice for the recipe poster, Nicola: write the oven temperature in the recipe itself. When you go into print mode, the oven temperature gets omitted and so it was initially confusing when I looked at the printed sheet that had no oven temperature info. I had to review the website version of the recipe again to find it.

Again, thank you for sharing this recipe. I will make them again for sure.

• Thank-you for the tips and feedback on the recipe. Please do report back after your second go at it. I’m sure Nicola will chime in on your comment as well. It’s always nice to get feedback on our recipes here at Canadian Budget Binder!! Have a great week!! Mr.CBB

9. Lisa Brencis says:

These look great! They’re easy enough to buy here (Toronto, Ontario, Canada) but I’d love to try making them. I always use my bread machine for kneading, so I’ll be trying that with this recipe, too. One question, though — you call for “yeast”… but what kind of yeast? RapidRise, ActiveDry, BreadMachine (also suitable for RapidRise recipes, it says). ? Thanks!

10. Nicola Don says:

Lindsey, like I said above its amazing how much bread I was buying and how expensive it was getting and now how much I can make myself and save loads!

11. These looks sweet, thanks for the recipe. It’s great that you aren’t afraid of baking, it sounds like a great way to save money on basics. 🙂

12. Wow!! So happy I saw this recipe, I’m SOOOO going to make these! I’m from Scotland but live in LA now, so I miss these too!

• Nicola Don says:

Let me know how they turn out Christina! I know if I want something from home I have to phone mum or dad for the recipe! Most I have and others it’s trial and error lol! Most times I get it right!

These do look yummy!! I use the oven with the light on as well to make my cinnamon rolls, works nicely! I tend to cheat slightly when I go to knead my dough and just knead it in the bowl adding extra flour as needed. I don’t have a lot of counter space and this confines the flour for less clean up. Thanks Nicola!!!

• Nicola Don says:

I knead in the bowl to sometimes depends on how much I make! You will love the taste of these buns Christine.

14. I love baps, but I have never made them. I cannot find them at the grocery store either. Thank you for the recipe.

• Nicola Don says:

You’re welcome Lori. These are really easy to make, let me know if you give the recipe a try.