I wanted something quick easy for dinner tonight so I created this quick and easy Zucchini Casserole.
With all the fresh fruit and vegetables that are available the ingredients for this zucchini casserole will hardly put a dent in your grocery budget.
This zucchini casserole is a dish that can be done in under 20 minutes, is tasty and of course you don’t have to put the oven on for long. You can even use a toaster oven if you have one.
This recipe can be made overnight and placed in the refrigerator so it’s ready to go for the next day. This makes it perfect for a dinner party where you want to prep the meal the night before.
Tip: Don’t add the cheese until you are ready to place it under the grill.
Now this recipe has a few different ingredients but I assure you it will enhance the flavours immensely. What are these ingredients? It’s lemon zest and basil.
If you are like most people or Mr. CBB you will have an abundance of basil that grows in the garden every year so don’t be afraid to start using it to bring your dishes to life.
Lemon zest is always a great addition to vegetable dishes which bring out the natural flavours. Lemon gives all those vegetables that are bland like the zucchini a blast of citrus that blends well with the other ingredients.
The great thing about this dish is that it can be finished off under the broiler/grill. You can even use the gas BBQ to finish it off which means you don’t have to turn your oven on at all.
Since the zucchini casserole is topped with cheese and you have already cooked the other ingredients all you are doing is heating the dish through and melting the cheese on top.
Simple but tasty!
What exactly is zucchini?
The zucchini also known as the courgette is a summer squash that can reach nearly a meter in length although it is picked at half that length.
Not many people know this but the orange flowers that you will get from growing a zucchini are edible flowers also called squash blossoms.
The squash blossom is one of many edible flowers that many people grow in their gardens. Did you know you could even eat Daylilies? Well, you can!
How to make Zucchini Casserole
- 3 zucchinis chopped
- 1 yellow pepper finely sliced
- 2 shallots finely sliced (or 1 small onion)
- 1 small tin stewed tomatoes
- 1 cup grated strong cheddar cheese
- Handful of basil leaves chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove crushed garlic
- 1 lemon zest
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a pan place the olive oil then once heated add shallots, zucchini, garlic, lemon zest and peppers.
- Cook until softened and zucchini starts browning.
- Add tin of stewed tomatoes and cook for 5 mins.
- Add salt and pepper to taste then add basil.
- Place in a large oblong casserole dish (you want a thin layer) and cool
- If you are eating this the next day after it has cooled, wrap in plastic and place in the fridge until ready to cook.
- Once cooled sprinkle cheese over the top and then place under the broiler/grill until the cheese has melted.
- Serve immediately.
Enjoy this zucchini casserole as a main dish for dinner by doubling up the recipe or as a side dish like I have along-side some juicy homemade turkey burgers.
Whatever way you have them this is one dish to keep for those hot summer days when you don’t want to cook but you want something that is easy, quick and uses no oven!
Subscribe to Canadian Budget Binder so you get my daily email and Follow me on all the popular Social Media Outlets. Get every recipe from Canadian Budget Binder> Check out my new Free Recipe Index.