President’s Choice (PC) Financial has done it again bringing customers the No Annual Fee President’s Choice Financial World Elite MasterCard to the table.
We really do love that there are no annual fees on this credit card or any PC Financial MasterCard which is why we chose PC.
My wife banked with PC Financial years before I emigrated to Canada. It was only natural that I sign up for my first Canadian Credit card with PC.
I needed to build a credit history in Canada as a permanent resident so we were able to get a mortgage. Thankfully the good people at PC Financial were kind enough to give me that start in a country I was now calling home.
As the years have passed PC Financial MasterCard has come out with new versions of their popular MasterCard which my wife and I have always applied for.
There are now three PC MasterCards all of which we have used over the years including this brand new one I’ll be telling you about today. All PC credit cards now have the chip and pin technology which just about every shop accepts and it’s great for security reasons. As a credit card holder security is very important to us.
The biggest perk is the free groceries.
I believe it was just last year that we upgraded our PC Financial MasterCard to the PC Financial World MasterCard which gave us even more PC points every time we shopped at any Loblaws store.
Don’t mix up the new PC Financial World Elite MasterCard with the PC Financial World MasterCard as they are two different credit cards. They are both black too which means they can easily get mixed up not to mention how close the names of the cards are.
The PC World MasterCard was great for us because we earned 20 PC Points for ever $1 we spent in any PC stores plus perks with Esso, PC Travel and PC Mobile. If we used the PC Financial World MasterCard anywhere else we would get 10 PC Points for every $1 we spent.
I will warn you that the interest rate on each PC MasterCard is high but every credit card I’ve owned has always held high interest rates. If you don’t want to pay them then pay your bill in full every month.
Annual Interest Rates- PC World MasterCard
- Purchases rate in effect when your account is approved: 19.97%
- Cash Advance rate in effect when your account is approved: 21.97%
Annual Interest Rates- PC World Elite MasterCard
- Purchase rate in effect when your account is approved: 19.97%
- Cash Advance rate in effect when your account is approved: 21.97%
- Promotional balance transfers: 0.97% for 6 months for balance transfers made within 90 days of account approval if you apply by December 31, 2016.
The reason we initially applied for the PC MasterCard first besides to gain credit was to help us build our PC Points to get free groceries. Sure there are other credit cards out there but we don’t use credit cards for anything other than groceries and my Canadian Tire MasterCard I use for everything else.
Since we don’t have any debt to pay every month we don’t have enough expenses to justify getting any of the credit cards that are available with annual fees. Sure you may get a better % of money back but it has to be worth it to the card holder.
In this case PC Financial was our choice of MasterCard plus we already bank with PC Financial so all of our banking is done using PC financial online.
How did we apply for the new PC Financial World Elite MasterCard?
PC Financial offered us the newest PC Financial World Elite MasterCard and once I read all the perks I didn’t hesitate to make the phone call to get this new PC credit card set up.
It sure does sound posh and looks as fancy as the PC Financial World MasterCard except this credit card has a few more fancy perks. It was early last week that we were invited to contact PC Financial MasterCard at 1-866 246 7262 to upgrade if we were an existing customer.
Initially I didn’t see the email about the new PC MasterCard it was when I signed in to PC Financial to do our weekly online banking that I noticed the advertisement for it.
I also noticed that if you are an existing bank account holder at PC they were offering 2.6 % on any new deposits until the end of 2015. All these perks in one spot.
What I did was I flipped my PC MasterCard over and dialed the PC MasterCard Phone Number on the back of the card which is 1-866-246-7262 or collect 647-426-1343 to get in touch with customer service to set up the credit card. You can also use the number above which was found online for the new credit card.
The great part is if you are not a PC MasterCard customer and are approved for the PC Financial World Elite MasterCard by November 16, 2015 they start you off with up to 50,000 PC Plus points! How cool is that? More free groceries for you.
Who can apply for the PC Financial World Elite MasterCard?
What I didn’t know was that not just anyone can apply for the new PC Financial World Elite MasterCard. You must earn at least $70,000 annually or $120,000 combined annually to apply for this new credit card.
Thankfully the wife and I do have an annual income over $120,000 a year so we were able to apply for the card which took less than a week to arrive in the mail. I asked the PC MasterCard associate on the phone if they would be doing another credit check and he said no because we were already existing credit card customers.
He went through a myriad of legal information and all the new perks that came with the PC Financial World Elite MasterCard. At the end we accepted the credit card and he sent a confirmation to our email address.
Once we got the card we were instructed to call the phone number which was on a sticker to set up our PC Financial World Elite MasterCard pin number. Once we did that we were instructed to cut up our PC Financial World MasterCard as it was no longer valid.
Why we joined the PC Financial World Elite MasterCard?
Points, Points and MORE PC Points! We LOVE FREE GROCERIES…That’s Why!
The PC World Elite MasterCard rewards points are what captured our attention right from the start. I suppose if your main goal getting the card is for free groceries like it is for us any opportunity to get more points should be taken.
Since PC started the PC Plus program where they send you can load products they think you may purchase each week based on your buying history we’ve been hooked. They know what they are doing and if you are smart and can do the math you too can see how fast your PC Points will grow.
What we do is match the PC Plus Points with weekly deals, coupons and any in-store PC Points to get maximum points with our PC Financial MasterCard. This has allowed us to get hundreds of dollars worth of free groceries every year.
Mrs. CBB and I are looking forward to see how the rest of 2015 plays out with the PC Points and all of next year since we track our points and redemption’s in the Grocery Game Challenge each week.
Let’s compare the PC Financial World MasterCard and the new World Elite MasterCard.
As you can see with the new credit card you can get PC Plus Points when you shop at Shoppers Drug Mart which the World MasterCard does not offer. You also get an extra 10 points for every dollar spent in all PC stores with the new credit card. To top it off you get an extra 10 PC Points for every dollar at PC travel, PC mobile and up to 3 cents a litre in PC Points instead of 2 cents.
PC Financial World MasterCard Benefits
- No Annual Fee
- 20 PC Points for every $1 spent in their stores
- Esso Bonus of up to 2 cents per litre in PC Points
- 20 PC Points per $1 spent with PC Travel
- 20 PC Points per $1 spent with PC Mobile
- 10 PC Points everywhere else
- Free Benefits
PC Financial World Elite MasterCard Benefits
- No Annual Fee
- 30 PC Points for every $1 spent in their stores
- 30 PC Points for every $1 spent at Shoppers Drug Mart
- Esso Bonus of up to 3 cents per litre in PC Points
- 30 PC Points per $1 spent with PC Travel
- 30 PC Points per $1 spent with PC Mobile
- 10 PC Points everywhere else
- Plus Premium Benefits all for no annual fee
What are these Premium Benefits?
From what I can see we are getting the same perks as the PC Financial World MasterCard except for the last two which seem to be added perks to this new credit card.
- MasterCard Global Service replaces your card or offers a cash advance in case of emergency
- Up to four free additional cards on your account for family members, so you can earn PC points even faster
- Free personalized convenience cheques available to use at places that don’t accept credit cards
- Free Purchase Assurance in case of theft, loss, or damage in the first 90 days7 when you pay in full with your PC Financial World Elite MasterCard
Free Extended Warranty doubles the manufacturer’s regular warranty for up to an additional year7 on items purchased with your PC Financial World Elite MasterCard
Enhanced service ensures your calls are answered more quickly by experienced agents
Plus, special offers and experiences some are listed below which PC states you would typically pay for with other credit card companies but they offer this all for free when you are a PC Financial World Elite card holder. Honestly these are some great perks all of which help the average person in sticky situations or times when you simply need help.
- Identity Theft Assistant Service to help you avoid identity theft or restore your identity
- Car Rental Collision/Loss Damage Waiver Insurance
- Travel Emergency Medical Insurance for trips up to 10 days from date of departure, for those under age 65
- 24/7 concierge service to make dinner reservations, reserve event tickets, deliver gifts and more
How do you redeem your PC Points?
That’s easy! Once you have 20,000 PC Points you can redeem them for $20 off your grocery bill. You must have at least 20,000 points to redeem though and can redeem higher amounts in increments of 10,000. The cashier will ask you if you’d like to redeem points and you just tell her, Yes I’d love free groceries.
President’s Choice products are available in Canada at Loblaws, Zehrs, no frills, Your Independent Grocer, Fortinos, valu-mart, freshmart, Provigo, Maxi (including Maxi and Co.), Atlantic Superstore, Atlantic Save-Easy, Super Valu, Dominion in Newfoundland, Real Canadian Superstore, The Real Canadian Wholesale Club, Extra Foods, Shop Easy Foods, Lucky Dollar Foods.
Who should get the new PC Financial World Elite MasterCard?
If you qualify for the new PC MasterCard and find you do most of your shopping in PC stores and you have a love for shopping at Shoppers Drug Mart this is the credit card for you.
Either way we’ve been happy with PC MasterCard services. We shop quite a bit at both stores so we felt this would be the perfect credit card for our little family.
Join NOW for the NEW PC Financial World Elite MasterCard.
As always don’t forget to read all the fine print and all that boring legal stuff. Remember any of the info I share with you today in this post can change at any time so it’s best to go straight to the PC website for accurate updated info.
Note: There are no affiliate links in this post. This is my personal review of the new PC Financial World Elite MasterCard.
Do you or will you be applying for the new PC Financial World MasterCard? What credit card do you use to get free groceries or other free stuff?
October Grocery Game Challenge posts
Join in the Grocery Game Challenge (GGC) fun and post your grocery shop in the comment section of each GGC blog post. Here are the rules to get you started and if you have any questions feel free to email me.
New monthly prize: $10 President’s Choice Gift Card. The odds are good right now to win each month but I hope to have more people join the GGC not to win but to get back control of their grocery budget. Winning is just the perk.
I use a random online generator to pick the winning ballot every month.
Congratulations goes to our first PC Financial Gift Card winner …. Ballot #9 Christine W.
If you missed any grocery game posts for the month I will post the line-up each week here for you so you don’t have to go looking for past GGC posts for the month. This makes posting a bit easier although all you need to do is click on The Grocery Game Challenge on the homepage sidebar and you will see them all.
- How to kill fruit flies with this simple fruit fly trap – Grocery Game Challenge #4 Sep
Free Tools to get you started with your grocery budget
Click, Save and Print. It’s that easy!
Free Money Saving Downloads are awesome lists that were created to get us on track to work towards reaching our budgeting goals and now we are sharing them with you.
I hope you take the time to get back on track and start the savings process in your grocery budget today.
Get organized with a FREE freezer inventory, meal plan, shopping list, price comparison list and much more all for FREE. CLICK HERE to download all the free lists and even our family budget spreadsheet for FREE.
NEW!! You can now download the FREE Canadian Budget Binder Budget Spreadsheet in Excel…Grab it while you can… It’s FREE! We use it to budget and in large part a reason we could pay our mortgage off in 5 years, check it out!
Ultimate Grocery Shopping Guide
If you are new here and haven’t had a chance to read past posts grab yourself a beverage, sit down, relax and enjoy some educational reading material on ways to save money in your grocery budget.
If you missed a Grocery Game Challenge post some of the most popular posts are listed below or you can now find the posts listed on their own page called The Ultimate Grocery Shopping Guide.
If you know a topic that should be discussed send me an email.
2015 Grocery shop results
Yearly grocery budget for two 2015: $2820
(The above total does not include the stockpile budget of $235 per year or $25 per month.
Points Overview (add any other sections you need to show us your savings)
- Total Grocery Budget for the Month: $235.00
- Total Grocery Budget with any carry-overs $235.00
- Total Gift Cards used to date: $32.40
- Total Rewards Points redeemed this week: $0
- Total Rewards Points used to date: $140.00
- PC Points Plus Earned to date: 7975
- Scanning Code of Practice (SCOP) to date $0
Coupon Apps (add any other apps you use to save money)
- Snap Groupon to date: $28.00
- Zweet to date: $18.00
- Checkout51 to date: $6.00
Grocery Shop This Week
- 4 x Tasters Choice Coffee Sale $3.99 each
- 2 x Nescafe Rich Instant Coffee Sale $3.99 each
- Mince Beef $5.99
- Que Pasa Organic Tortilla Chips $2.99
- Reduced red peppers $1.49
- Reduced mixed Apples $1.29
- Yellow Onions Sale $1.29
- Bananas $1.97
- Cauliflower Sale $0.97
- 4 x Green Giant frozen vegetables Sale $1.99 each
- Beatrice 3.25% milk 4L $4.97
- Parmalat 2% milk 4L $3.97
- 2 x Selection Cheese bars Sale $3.97
- Astro Original Yogurt $3.29
Total Out-of-Pocket $69.04
- 6 x Kraft Cheese Bars $3.99 each =$23.94 (stockpile budget)
Total Out-of-Pocket: $23.94 Stockpile Budget
- Total to spend this month $235
- Stockpile budget 2015 ($25.00): (Jan/Feb) $50.00 +$0 (Mar)+$16.94+$25.00 (April)+$25.00+ May $25.00+ June $25.00+July $14.44+Aug $25.00+Sept $25.00+ Oct $
- Stockpile budget used this month: $23.94
- Total coupons used this week: $0
- Total coupons used to date: $34.50
- Total in-store discounts this week: $0 (no original price on reduced produce)
- Total in-store discounts to date: $581.11
- Total spent this week: $69.04
- Total spent so far this month: $69.04
- Total over/Under spend this shop: over $over
- Total over/Under spend for the month: $under
- Total left to spend for the month: $169.96 or $169.95 rounded
- Total Spent To Date 2015: (does not include stockpile budget) Jan $166.49+ Feb $261.51+ Mar $231.02 + April $258.44+May $218.12+ June $235.67+July $212.16+August $118.15+ September $130.37+ October $
Weekly Overview (your final thoughts)
It’s a brand new month and we are excited to get using our new PC Financial World Elite MasterCard to see how many PC points we can save up before the end of the year. Since we’ve already spent most of the points it will be a real testament to see how fast we can build them up again.
I have one thing to say about that cheap cauliflower we bought this week. It has to be the biggest cauliflower I’ve ever purchased and it was so cheap. I bet in a few weeks they will be back up to regular price at $4.99.I was thinking about running back to get more so I could freeze the florets. I’m still thinking about it.
Here’s to lots of great deals. Come on Loblaws! Have a great shopping week everyone.
Canadian Coupons Found
Here are some great places you can find Canadian Coupons!
We’re finding less and less coupons in the stores these days. What are your thoughts? Are coupon apps taking over the paper coupons?
Frequently Asked Questions
- Grocery Game Challenge RULES: Read the rules first and if you have any questions email me or comment on this post with your question and someone will answer you as soon as possible.
- Do I have to be Canadian to post my Grocery Shop?: No, you don’t have to be Canadian to post your shops only to win a monthly prize. We have fans who post their grocery shop who live all over the world.
- When does the Grocery Game close each month?: The Grocery Game Challenge closes at midnight of the last Sunday of the last post for the month but you will still get a ballot when you post your shops even if they are late but I encourage you to stay on schedule. It’s a proven fact the minute we stop doing something that is scheduled that we end up forgetting to do it all together. Don’t let that be you! You can post your shops all month-long.
- Does your Grocery Budget include health and beauty and laundry products?:
YesNo, our Grocery Budget includes such items as shampoo, conditioner, laundry soap, fabric softener, dish soap etc. As of 2014-2015 we no longer include such items in our grocery budget so we can see actual food numbers at the end of the year so we can plan accordingly for our budget. We don’t mind stockpiling items that won’t be affected by expiry dates or have long expiry dates but not so much food any more. It’s just one way to help cut your budget to save money.
- Canadian Coupons: Where can I find Canadian Coupons?: Here are your latest Checkout 51 offers that you can use to help you save money in the Grocery Game Challenge. There are many great Canadian Couponing websites online that share weekly coupon match-ups so you can plan your grocery list.
- Best Coupon Apps: Coupons are slowly fading out but mobile coupon apps are the big rave these days. Just recently the popular coupon site that mailed coupons to households have gotten involved with their new mobile Save.ca app joining forces with the many apps that are already out there.
- What is the Best Flyer App- We use Flipp on our Iphone so if you wan to have all your flyers in one spot download Flipp from the Apple Store or get it on Google Play.
- What is an FPC?: An FPC is a free product coupon which means you can get a free product as described on the coupon.
- What is GGC?– The Grocery Game Challenge of course!
- How Do I Know what stores accept coupons?: If you are not sure it’s always best to call the store and ask.
- How Do I Grocery Shop?: I can tell you about grocery shopping and what we do in terms of shopping to save money and how it works for us. There are no wrong or right answers, just smart choices.
Over time you will gradually learn where you should and shouldn’t go in the grocery store or at least how to say no, I’m on a budget I need to buy this or that.
You may also substitute items in order to stick to your grocery budget to make it work. Nobody is perfect, heck we struggle with this part of our budget like many people do.
This is why the grocery game challenge was created to not only show you that we are like everyone else but to bring us all together to work as a team to get our budgets on track.
If you have just joined The Grocery Game Challenge 2015 get ready to dive deep into your grocery budget and learn just where you are spending, how much you are spending and what you are saving.
Feel free to read all the above posts that I linked to above which I feel are relevant to learning about the grocery budget and grocery shopping in general.
If you are brave and want to learn everything I know about grocery shopping in Canada check out my Ultimate Grocery Shopping Guide! It’s FREE!
You’ve made a wise decision to take control of your grocery budget now show me your shops and let’s get saving!
Welcome to The Grocery Game Challenge 2015!
Join in and become money savers and take control of your grocery budget.
Are You New To Canadian Budget Binder?
- Follow Me on Social media by clicking any of the buttons below on the blog.
- Don’t forget to Subscribe to Canadian Budget Binder by Email to get my daily email. Once you subscribe you MUST VERIFY your email account so check your spam folder and inbox for that email!
- Check out my new Free Recipe Index
- If you like FREE then click this link for my FREE Excel Budget Spreadsheet and all my Free Money Saving Lists.