Not only are these lemon coconut macaroons budget-friendly they are also super easy to make.
Those who enjoy these little treats will be amazed by the simplicity of making them yet revel in the fluffy coconut center and decadent outer chocolate flavours.
Don’t panic if you’re not an of lemon either because you can simply eliminate the citrus and add some pure vanilla extract for more of a traditional coconut macaroon.
Sharing cookies is a great way to say thanks to neighbours, friends and family without breaking the bank.
I often bake cookies to bring to our neighbour’s house just to say thanks for being a good neighbour and friend. There doesn’t have to be a special occasion to make someone smile.
While reviewing recipes for lemon coconut macaroons on Google and Pinterest I noticed that many bakers said that their mixture was too runny. I wanted to see what problems other people were having with their recipes so I could perfect my own.
When reading over some professional chefs recipes I found that they too don’t go into much detail about how thick the lemon coconut macaroon mixture needs to be so it’s sort of hit or miss.
After two attempts of perfecting my lemon coconut macaroons recipe I nailed it and I can truly confirm they are great coconut macaroons. You want your lemon coconut macaroons to be crunchy on the bottom, fluffy in the middle with a golden brown colour on the top.
Once the macaroons were cooled I dipped the bottoms in decadent chocolate and put them back on the tray lined with parchment paper. If you want you can also drizzle chocolate on top like I did to make them shine. You can even go a step further and add sprinkles if they are for a party or if you want to jazz the colour up for Canada Day or St. Patrick’s Day. There are always lots of options with this simple macaroon recipe.
These lemon coconut macaroons keep for a while as long as you keep them in an airtight container in the fridge or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
How to make lemon coconut macaroons
- ¾ cup sweetened condensed milk
- 4 cups shredded coconut
- 2 egg whites
- Pinch of salt
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Juice from ½ lemon
- (If you don't want or like lemon substitute for 1 teaspoon vanilla essence)
- 1 cup dark chocolate
- Combine ¾ cup of condensed sweetened milk and 2 cups of coconut first.
- In a clean bowl whisk the egg whites with a pinch of salt until they start to form a stiff peaks.
- Now combined together the egg whites and coconut mixture. Then slowly add and mix the other two cups a tablespoon at a time. It needs to be thick but sticky. Keep adding the rest of the coconut until you see this consistency.
- On a tray covered with parchment paper, scoop out using ice cream/cookie scoop.
- Place in oven. Wait until bottom and edges are browned, with tops just tinged with a hint of colour. Around 15 minutes
- Take out and completely cool.
- Melt chocolate
- Dip bottoms of macaroons into the chocolate and place back on tray and then drizzle on top. Place in fridge to harden.
No need to worry the next time you are asked to prepare something sweet to bring to a party or a bake sale with these simple lemon coconut macaroons. Save yourself the time and hassle from baking something complicated and wow those you bring these lemon coconut macaroons for.
If you like FREE then click this link for my FREE Excel Budget Spreadsheet and lists. Check out my new Free Recipe Index Plus catch up on all the ways to save money in our Free Ultimate Grocery Shopping Guide.