Mr.CBB’s Summer Fresh Tomato Salad with Basil,Fennel and Chick Pea
This easy tomato salad is a lovely fresh salad that you can eat any day of the week all year-long. The best time of year though is the summer when these vegetables are in season. The WOW factor is when you get to dip chunks of fresh Italian Bread into the juices to soak up all the yummy flavour.
This simple recipe is something Mrs.CBB and I have perfected for the past 3 years. We wanted to have a tomato salad that was tasty and easy to make that eats like a meal. This frugal salad is just as good as a full meal if not better and costs hardly anything at all to make. You will taste the tangy fresh tomatoes dripping with olive oil burst in your mouth with the aromatic fennel,fresh basil, organic garlic and lemon juice soaked in.
Fresh Organic Garlic from the Garden
I hope you give this easy recipe a try for your next barbecue or pot-luck dinner with your friends and family. I promise you the bowl will be empty by the end of the meal. We picked up all the ingredients at the shop except for the garlic and the fresh basil which are home-grown.
Not many people know how to use aromatic fennel or anise also sometimes called finocchio which is commonly used in the Mediterranean. Our family grows this beautiful fennel in their garden and it is bountiful each year. It is a crispy vegetable similar to a celery but with some bite. You can also roast fennel in the oven or on the barbecue and release the sweetness which we simply love.
Finocchio has many medicinal factors as well and is widely used by many for
- Intestinal Tract
- Blood and Urine
- Breast Milk
- Syrup prepared for coughs
You may also find fennel seeds in your favourite foods like
Fresh Basil Growing in our back yard
Mr.CBB’s Summer Fresh Tomato Salad with Basil,Fennel and Chick Peas
- 4 Med Tomatoes cut in wedges
- 1 cup chick peas (I use dry, soak overnight, then boil for 15 minutes)
- half a bulb fennel sliced thin
- 1/2 green pepper cut into small pieces (optional)
- 1/2 cup red onion minced
- salt enough to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- extra virgin olive oil 1/2 cup
- juice of one entire fresh lemon- Tip-roll on counter then cut in half
- 4 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 fresh mozzarella ball cut in half then cubed (feta-optional)
- 1 large bunch fresh basil chopped (10-15 leaves)
Are you NEW to Canadian Budget Binder?
If you are new Start here!
Do you have a Question for Mr.CBB please click HERE to ask him!
You can also subscribe to Canadian Budget Binder so you don’t miss a blog post. Fill in your email address on the HOME page of the blog off to the left where it says “Subscribe Via Email”- No Spam, I promise!
Are you on Mr.CBB’s Blog Roll? Check HERE… if not and you want me to check out your blog and add you to my ever-growing blog roll simply click here and fill out the form. Introduce yourself and lets LINK UP!
- Mr.CBB’s Cold Tuna Pasta Salad With A Kick $4.25~ (canadianbudgetbinder.com)
- Delicious Feta and Mozzarella Tart with Green and Black Olives (iamdelicious.typepad.com)
- Sow, Grow and Save (canadianbudgetbinder.com)
- The Grocery Game Challenge July 2-July 8 What’s for Dinner? (canadianbudgetbinder.com)
- Mr.CBB’s Slammin Crockpot Chili $6.50 (canadianbudgetbinder.com)
- Mr.CBB’s Tangy Easy Guacamole Dip $ 4.10 (canadianbudgetbinder.com)
- How To Get the Most Out Of Frugal,Easy Cooking! (canadianbudgetbinder.com)
- Mr.CBB’s Easy Spinach and Wheat Tortilla Recipe (canadianbudgetbinder.com)