The Grocery Game Challenge is a challenge for you and only you to stick to your grocery budget. Every Tuesday I post the Grocery Game Challenge on the blog which will show you where Mrs.CBB and I spend our grocery budget of $58.75 a week or $235 a month.
We also have a monthly stockpile budget of $20 which we use if necessary to stock up on any great deals we find. We have committed to one shop free week per month and are encouraging other’s to do this as well.
You don’t need to be from Canada to play as we have players from the USA and other parts of the World. We love players from other countries to show us how saving money in your grocery budget helps you save! Join in on the fun.
Note: Monthly prize for now is for Canadians but the bigger the game gets I might add in prizes for others around the world through PayPal!
Object of the Grocery Game Challenge
To urge your family to stick to a grocery budget, avoid temptation and save money. If you can do this for one year you will see the savings. If you don’t spend all the money one week you can put that into a savings account and watch it add up or better yet put it into a TFSA or pay down debt. Every year you can use a tax refund estimator and put that amount into savings also.
In 2009 the average Ontario Household spent a whopping $7383 with approx 2.5 persons per household. Discover Finance has a must read article with numbers for clothing, food, education, healthcare etc. It’s more reason to get the budget under control.
Overview of The Grocery Game Challenge
How to Play? It’s easy!
When I post my Grocery Game Challenge Blog Post Each Tuesday you post your shop in the Comment Section of that Post!!
- The Grocery Week will be between Monday-Sunday
- I will be adding weekly Coupon Match-Ups Compliments of Save Big Live Better
- I will post our grocery shop, how much we spent including coupons along with the budget for the shop ie: $64.00
- If you shop every 2 weeks or once a month, that’s ok you can still play. Just post your grocery budget for that time period. Pick the week to comment when you do your shopping.
- If you shop weekly you can get more ballots in the draw but everyone has a fair shot at it.
- The object is to work towards meeting your budget goals and getting used to them.
- If it helps type out your Budget goals for the year each time you post so you keep them at the front of your mind! We would love to see them as well.
- I suggest typing your shop out in a word document, note pad of even in an email and save the draft just in case something happens as you won’t want to have to type out your shop twice.
- I read every single shop and comment on them personally and hope you will motivate me by commenting on our grocery shop. Please note that all posts are moderated so you won’t see your comment until I read it and verify it.
- You will then be given a ballot number every week that you post your shop by me so you don’t have to enter the contest I do that for you.
- I will let you know your ballot number when I comment on your post so write your ballot numbers.
- I will draw a ballot number at the end of every month’s grocery game challenge and post the WINNER in the first Grocery Game Shop of the following month.
- Your grocery shopping weeks don’t have to coincide with mine so you will always get a ballot whether it’s for the month in question or the following month depending on how you calculate your monthly budget.
- The winner will receive an envelope of Canadian coupons to help you family continue to save money!
- Canadian Residents Only Can WIN but all countries are welcome to PLAY the grocery game and I encourage it as we like to see what’s happening around the world.
Please read this post by my friend Kim at Eyes On The Dollar who plays The Grocery Game from the USA…. an inspirational story about how The Grocery Game helped Save Their Budget!
Please use the Template Below to post your grocery shop in the comment section of each weeks Grocery Game Challenge post as it makes it easier for all of us to read your shop, follow your progress and to comment. You can expand the template as you see fit but in order for us to truly follow your shopping experience the below is the standard posting template.
- Name Your Store ie: Zehrs
- Total Coupons Used: $
- Total Out Of Pocket: $
Do the above for each receipt you have then copy the template below and paste it to the bottom of your shop so we can see your results.
Weekly Grocery Game Challenge Results
- Total Grocery Budget for the Month:
- Total Coupons Used this Week :
- Total Discounts this Week:
- Total Checkout 51 rebates this Week:
- Total Checkout 51 rebates this Month:
- Total Colleague Discounts (CD) this Week:
- Total Colleague Discounts (CD) this Month:
- Total Gift Cards Given Used this Week:
- Total Rewards Points Used:
- Stockpile Budget: $enter amount Used:
- Total Over/Under spend this shop:
- Total Spent This Week:
- Total Spent So Far for (enter month):
- Total Over/Under spend this shop:
- Total Over/Under spend for the month of (enter month):
- Total Left to Spend for the Month:
- Total Coupons Used This Month :
- Total to Carry Over Next Month :
- Total Spent To Date This Year:
- Weekly Overview: Go over your shops and talk about the experience what you learned, what you will do different the next time and how you are doing so far into the month. Talk about whatever you want in this spot so we get an understanding of what you did.
I’m not looking for a champion saver here as this is not a competition amongst each other. This challenge is for you and what you do with it affects your life not mine. I hope you take part and learn more about where your money goes each month. Post some savings tips along the way to help your fellow savers, that’s the best way to learn!
**Please only post one shop per week with all the details necessary as outlined above or simply copy my layout from my weekly grocery game post**
Look on the sidebar of my blog where I have the CATEGORIES and you will see the category The Grocery Game. Click on that and you will be able to find the week and month you are looking for to post your shop. If you don’t see the week there that mean’s I haven’t posted it yet but I aim to have it posted by Every Tuesday!
Check out my Free Downloadable tools for Meal Plans, Freezer Inventory Lists and more!
Most of all I want all of my fans to have FUN and Motivate each other to stick to the Grocery Budget!
Are You New To Canadian Budget Binder?
- Follow Me on Social Media: Twitter, Facebook , Pinterest , Stumble Upon, Reddit and Google+
- Don’t forget to Subscribe to Canadian Budget Binder by Email to get my daily email. Once you subscribe you MUST VERIFY your email account so check your spam folder and inbox for that email!
- Check out my new Free Recipe Index
- If you like FREE then click this link for my FREE Excel Budget Spreadsheet and all my Free Money Saving Lists!
- Reader Question: Meal Planning For The Budget (canadianbudgetbinder.com)
- The Grocery Game Challenge Sept 10-16 ~Almost Fall! (canadianbudgetbinder.com)
- The Grocery Game Challenge August 13-19 2012 End Of Season (canadianbudgetbinder.com)
- Welfare Food Challenge- $26 A Week for 1 In The Grocery Budget (canadianbudgetbinder.com)
Photo Credit: 123RF.com