My wife and I started making these Stuffed green peppers after watching her mother in the kitchen. Her mom is a great cook but one who never measures.. you know- a little of this, a little of that. Ay!
What happens to her recipes, they taste great. I have no idea how some cooks work their magic with no recipe but it works.
Although we would love to stir up some magic in the kitchen we needed a recipe. So after watching and learning we took to our own test kitchen and proceeded to cook.
You can use any colour pepper to make this easy stuffed pepper recipe, we chose green.
After many trials our green stuffed peppers are now perfected! They stand tall on a nice slathering of mashed potatoes, surrounded by a sweet basil, garlic marinara sauce and topped with mozzarella and Parmigiano Reggiano.
I can assure you there won’t be any left when you are done making this recipe.
For the vegetarians if you want to make this a meatless stuffed pepper you can simply omit the meat and continue on with the rest of the menu as it can be just as hearty.
I would likely add in an extra cup of rice and lentils for each pound of meat.
Don’t be shocked if your neighbour knocks on the door and asks to borrow some milk just to be nosey.
Everyone on the street will want to know what’s cooking in YOUR house!
Mr.CBB’s Green Stuffed Peppers
- Prep Time:1 hour
- Cook Time: Sauce 30 mins marinara
- Cook Time Stuffed Peppers:2 hours at 350 degree pre-heated oven
- Yield- 10 huge Stuffed Peppers dripping with love!
Cost To Make Green Stuffed Peppers
- Cost per Stuffed Pepper Meal per person-$2.00 each
- Cost for us to make this Meal: Approx $20.00 including mashed potatoes and marinara
- Peppers x 10 were on the reduced rack $1.59 pack of 5~ There was NOT one thing wrong with these HUGE peppers!
- Meat was in the reduced section minced chicken $2.00 pack
- Sausages were also reduced $1.50 pack of 6
- All other ingredients were purchased on sale.
This recipe will cost more if you buy all your ingredients at regular price.
Serve with: Your favourite mashed potato recipe and a nice glass of red wine
How To Make Green Stuffed Peppers On Mash
Tools: 17x12x3 roasting pan or deep baking pan
Ingredients For Green Stuffed Peppers Stuffing
- 10 large green peppers
- 3 hot Italian sausages
- 1.5 lbs of ground beef (mince), chicken, veal, turkey (whatever ground you like) – we chose chicken for this recipe
- 1 cup of dry red lentils- cooked
- 2 cups of cooked rice- (this is about 1 cup dry) We used basmati or you can use Arborio rice
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 med onion chopped
- 1 medium carrot chopped
- 1 cup of Italian breadcrumbs (you can buy these seasoned or simply make them yourself with day old bread in the processor and season with Italian seasoning)
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigianno Reggiano
- 2 cups grated mozzarella cheese- for tops of peppers
- 3 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons ground fresh pepper
- 1 teaspoon fresh nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons parsley (fresh or dry)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon of chili flakes ( optional)
- 5 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon Thyme
- 2 tablespoons basil (fresh or dry)
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground clove
- Olive oil to rub peppers
- Olive oil to top off peppers
First things first let’s get the marinara, rice and lentils on the go! Boil your lentils until soft but not mushy(10 mins on med heat) drain and rinse them and let cool.
Add your rice in the rice cooker (about 1 cup dry rice is enough) If you don’t have a rice cooker you will have to do it the old-fashioned way on the stove top or lastly use Instant (which I don’t prefer)
Let’s get the Marinara on the go as well!
- 2 750ml cans of diced tomatoes
- 6 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 med onion chopped
- 3 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoons Basil
- 2 tablespoons Oregano
- 2 tablespoons Parsley
- 1 chicken cube dissolved in 1 cup hot water
- 1 small can of tomato paste
- 1 carrot chopped
- 1 cup of celery chopped
- fresh ground pepper
- Chopped pepper tops (optional- see below)
- In a medium pot add the oil, garlic and onions, carrot,celery, sauté for 2 minutes on high.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients and simmer for 30 mins to 1 hour on medium to low, stirring often.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste- I usually put a tablespoon of each
- I know it looks like a lot of ingredients but it’s not that bad. Most ingredients are common household staples.
- Wash your peppers, dry them off
- Cut the top off each pepper and clean out the inside of the pepper ( save those tops in a container for another meal or chop them up and throw them in your marinara like I did)
- Cut the bottom of the pepper ever so slightly to give it a flat base to sit on in the baking pan
- I then rub them with some Olive Oil and sit them in the pan
Stuffed Green Peppers Stuffing
In a large bowl add the following ingredients then mix until combined.
- Ground mince
- Cut open the 3 sausages and put the meat in discard the casing
- Bread crumbs
- Carrots, onions, celery, garlic
- All seasoning’s including salt and pepper
- Parmigiano cheese
How To Stuff Green Stuffed Peppers
- I take the peppers out of the pan and set them on a cutting board
- At the bottom of the pan put a nice layer of that marinara sauce you made earlier
- Take one of the peppers and stuff it to the top, then continue to do this and sit them in the pan until they are all stuffed- If you have left over stuffing just toss it in the pan around the peppers in the sauce!
- Drizzle Olive oil on each pepper just a little so they don’t burn
- Put uncovered in your pre-heated oven for 30 mins to brown the tops and give the peppers a nice roast
- Take them out and check to see if your sauce is drying up if so I add a bit of boiling water to the sauce to loosen it up.
- After 30 mins and adding some hot water to the sauce in the pan I cover the pan with tin foil for the remaining time.
- Every 30 mins I take the peppers out to check the sauce liquidity
- After 2 hours the meat should be thoroughly cooked
- Take the peppers out of the oven top with mozzarella and a sprinkle of Parmigiano if you like
- Pop back in the oven uncovered until melted
- Serve HOT!
There are different types of stuffed pepper recipes but this is the BEST! Enjoy.
Discussion: What do you like to stuff your stuffed peppers with?
- Mr.CBB’s Spicy Cheesy Bacon Corn Bread $5 a pan
- Mr.CBB’s Easy Spinach and Wheat Tortilla Recipe
- Mr.or Mrs. Money Bags… Is that you?
- Mr.CBB’s Summer Fresh Tomato Salad with Basil,Fennel and Chick Peas
- Mr. CBB’s Fudgy Brownies Cost $5.00 a pan
- Mr.CBB’s Slammin Crockpot Chili $6.50
- Fettuccine with Lemon, Garlic, Basil Sauce
- Mr.CBB’s Cheesy Ricotta Ball Soup