Sometimes we want to be more successful than others especially if we come from homes where our parents aren’t successful in our eyes.
But what does successful really mean?
Defining what successful means or even being rich means is an inner belief that will differ from person to person.
When you go to school as a child and see other kids with the latest and greatest toys, gadgets and clothes or boasting about their vacations you wonder why you aren’t either.
As a child shopping at second-hand stores when your friends shop at the mall is hard but for many they have no choice. Eventually they will understand that the reason and unless they understand the value of money you may run into resentment.
Not all children will turn away on their parents but for the most part if they don’t grasp that you don’t have to spend money to be happy they may try to correlate money with happiness.
It’s hard to understand the meaning behind being successful and how hard it is to make something of yourself as an adult or as a parent. I watched this short 9 minute Singapore drama this morning called “Gift” and I hope you do as well.
The young Asian boy lived with his father and he disliked his father because he felt his was unsuccessful and from what I could tell lazy the way he slapped him in the face with a book.
He didn’t understand why he wasn’t unsuccessful and rich which over the years put a wall up between the two of them. As the young boy grew older and ventured out into the working world he gave up on his father.
He was more concerned about being more successful than his father believing that having the career, money and bling was what makes people happy.
Being Rich is not about how much money you have it’s about how much you can give-Father in “Gift”
He goes on to tell his son that somehow “when we give we will be happier”. I believe him because any time that I can help someone whether through a donation or simply my time or expertise I feel better about myself. I feel rich in heart.
You will be a great man…. just BELIEVE- Father in “Gift”
Money doesn’t make people happy, love does. Giving to others, loving others and making sure that you give your 100% in all that you do is what makes our world a better place.
These days the children are so focused on technology and what they aren’t getting that their friends are that they are missing the message.
Not all parents have successful career where they make comfortable incomes to give their children all they want.
When one family is taking their children on vacation to Florida for March Break another is sitting at home spending time together. Money is not what defines people.
It’s nice to have but it doesn’t mean you are not rich when you don’t have what you believe is a successful amount of cash in the bank or no debt etc.
Parents whether single or married work very hard to keep a household going and unless we teach children the value of money they may end up resenting their parents if they lack that richness like the boy in this film.
When I first read to grab a tissue in the headlines of this movie I thought there was no way I was going to shed a tear. Now after watching it three times if you don’t cry or have some form of emotion come over you then maybe you should evaluate what being successful means to you.
I once wrote a post about not comparing yourself to others especially when it comes to wealth rather focus on you and how you can make your world a better place.
Love does not care about money or how much you have or don’t have love is about sharing and understanding that simply waking up in the morning with all your basic needs met is important.
It’s important to take what you’ve learned and to spread the word and help others. Like in the video the father made the son pay his taxes from his allowance I presume and the father matched it. That money went to a great cause the boy would later discover.
Giving your time, making people smile, laughing, inspiring and believing that someone can do anything in this world is what LOVE is all about.
Don’t wait until your parents are gone to tell them that you love them and don’t underestimate how brilliant they are. Your parents know what they are doing and whether you believe they are successful or not boils down to what your beliefs. You only have one shot.
I don’t want to tell you too much but I urge you to watch this video and share this post with everyone you know.
As a parent you know your children look up to you so teach them the meaning of being successful from different perspectives so they don’t grow up to resent you or wish you did more for them.
Grab that kleenex.
If you don’t already know I have a second Facebook page online called The Free Recipe Depot where I share recipes from other Foodie Bloggers from around the world.
Once a week I pick one recipe that has been submitted as my Top Recipe of the week. Trust me when I say this is no easy task as some of these foodies can cook up a storm.
This week that recipe goes to a food blog called “Real Housemoms” and today I’m sharing their St. Patrick’s Day drinks “Drunken Leprechaun and “Pot of Gold” cocktails. Enjoy.
Weekly CBB posts
If you missed any CBB posts from the week here is the list of posts you can catch up on reading!
- How to start your spring garden using odd containers
- How my co-op program shaped my work ethics
- Do you blow your grocery budget if you are in a rush?
- Finances are like moon phases: Our Net Worth Update February 2014
- Twice baked potatoes….so delicious
Every week I share a few of the best personal finance blog posts that I read online over the past week with all of you so please enjoy my top picks.
- Interview Red Flags and how to avoid wasting your time on loser companies– Mo Money Mo Houses
- Club Thrifty shares their budget breakdown for the month
- 3 Big Fat Myths about Critical Illness Insurance- My Own Advisor
- Getting Wealthy with a Budget– Life and My Finances
- Being a Millennial supervising a Boomer- Dear Debt
Well, that’s a wrap for this PF Friday’s Grab a brew #63. Happy budgeting and I’ll see you here again next week when I do it all over again.
Are You New To Canadian Budget Binder?
- Follow Me on Social Media: Twitter, Facebook , Pinterest , Stumble Upon, Reddit and Google+
- Check out my new Free Recipe Index
- If you like FREE then click this link for my FREE Excel Budget Spreadsheet and all my Free Money Saving Lists!
- PF Weekly Grab a brew #55: Could you chop your budget and live off of the grid?
- PF Weekly Grab a brew #56: Would you upgrade your credit card for free?
- PF Weekly Grab a brew #57: Will the Ontario minimum wage hike help?
- PF Weekly Grab a brew #58: Do you know the laws when travelling abroad?
- PF Weekly Grab a brew #59: Not everything online is free for the taking
- PF Weekly Grab a brew #60: Fast food restaurants are a dime a dozen
- PF Weekly Grab a brew #61: Should a landlord and tenant have basic rental responsibilities
- PF Weekly Grab a brew #62: Toddler breaks food rule of daycare and gets suspended