Believe me, when I say joining the Nielsen Homescan Canada panel for FREE will open up a window of rewards for you.
Today, I’m going to let you in on a secret about Nielsen Homescan that I bet you didn’t know.
Keep reading below.
The Homescan program is open in both French and English.
EARNING REWARDS HAS NEVER BEEN EASIER
Who thought that going shopping would be so rewarding?
I know this because I was a participant of Nielsen Home Scan in the UK, and now I’m part of it in Canada, and so can you.
Did I mention Nielsen Homescan is FREE to join?
Let’s get going so I can tell you all the cool things you can earn with your Nielsen rewards points and how easy this program is.
About Nielsen Homescan
The Nielsen Homescan Consumer Panel comprises thousands of households across the country that have chosen to have their say and make a difference while earning great rewards.
By scanning the barcodes on their purchases and completing opinion surveys. Homescan® panellists make their opinions count in the Canadian marketplace by influencing product manufacturers and retailers.
Nielsen is a global information and measurement company with leading market positions in marketing and consumer information, television and other media, online intelligence and mobile measurement.
Nielsen Online Panel
Nielsen studies consumers in over 100 countries because they want to know what you like to buy!
When my wife was in the UK, we went grocery shopping for the first time.
Not only was she reading just about every product she could get her hands on (it took forever to shop with her) I was also explaining to her a little about this program I was involved in.
Can you believe that I was a participant in the UK and loved this program?
I think it made more sense to her once I showed her my scanner and precisely what I needed to do.
When we got home, she wanted to help me put all the groceries away, but I told her that we had to wait a moment so I could check everything over and scan them in.
Scan them in?
She had a look on her face like I was nuts, but clearly, she had never heard of the program I was part of.
What I did was I signed up for a Homescan program in the UK through TNS, where I would scan the bar codes of the products I purchased each week.
The same deal as there is in Canada.
I would then be rewarded points which I was able to redeem for gift cards, CDs, electronics, appliances and even jewellery.
She thought this was the most amazing rewards program since she is a frugal shopper but wasn’t aware of such a thing in Canada.
Well, there is such a thing, and you can sign up now to Nielsen Homescan Canada to register as a potential participant in their program.
It would help if you were 18+ to sign up.
There is only one application per household, so don’t bother signing up multiple times.
Once they receive your application, they randomly put you on reserve (waitlist) and offer free scanners, but you MUST apply to be on the reserve list.
The Nielsen Homescan Consumer Panel is a “mini-Canada”, representing Canadian consumers. By scanning the bar codes on their purchases and completing fun surveys, panelists truly make their opinions count in the consumer marketplace.
The Nielsen Company is the world’s leading provider of marketing information, audience measurement, and business media products and services.
Nielsen looks for specific ages, family sizes etc., for a diverse demographic. They try to predict what products you might buy and offer you surveys so you can earn even more rewards points.
The more you shop, the more points you can earn, and you can do it any time of day, right from the comfort of your own home. I usually did it as soon as I got home so I wouldn’t forget.
Shop For Household Goods as you normally would and Collect Valuable Gift Points and Redeem them for Awesome Gifts!
Participate by scanning bar codes on your purchases, completing fun surveys, panelists truly make their opinions count in the consumer marketplace.
How Does Nielsen Homescan Canada Work?
You Tell Us What You Buy
- You will receive a hand-held scanner or access to our mobile app as a panel member.
- You’ll use the scanner or app to scan the barcodes on all products you (and other household members) purchase during any shopping trip.
- You’ll also record other information about your shopping trips, like where you shopped, how much you paid, how many you bought, and more.
- Once a week, you’ll transmit all of the shopping data you recorded to Nielsen.
- You will also be invited to take surveys on a variety of topics.
You Make An Impact
- You have the power to influence what products are sold in stores!
- The shopping data you send us is combined with that of other households and then shared with manufacturers and retailers, who use it to make critical marketing decisions about the brands they sell.
- “Your shopping behaviour helps influence future shopping experiences.
You Earn Rewards
Your participation earns entries into our sweepstakes and points redeemable toward great gifts.
Scan to Redeem for Merchandise and Gift Cards
Each week you send us your household purchase data, you are awarded points that can be accumulated and redeemed for a wide variety of merchandise from our members-only gift catalogue.\
Earn even more gift points when you take part in our surveys!
Nielsen Consumer Panel Rewards Catalogue
What can you get with your Nielsen reward points?
Once you scan the UPC Code-Universal Product Code (bar code) with your free scanner on almost everything you buy, that information gets transferred to Nielsen Canada, and you are rewarded points.
You can redeem your points from their Homescan gift catalogue to get anything ranging from gift cards to electronics, toys and even household items.
Panel participation also earns you entries into a variety of sweepstakes that are held monthly, quarterly and annually. In our quarterly Grand Prize draw, you can win a $2,500 Visa® Prepaid Card!
How do I know if I’ve been chosen to be part of the Nielsen Homescan Program?
They will contact you with more in-depth details about the program if you are chosen.
Once you complete the signup process, we will review your information.
If there is an opening on the panel for a household that matches your demographic profile, we will contact you to let you know you’ve been selected.
You will then be asked a few questions about the technology you have available in your home, so we can determine which model of our scanner to send you.
Alternatively, you may qualify for our mobile app.
If you qualify for a scanner, you will be notified and it will be shipped to you so you can begin recording your shopping information!
What do they do with our personal information?
Your personal information is only used to manage your membership account.
All personal information is kept confidential by Nielsen Homescan Canada.
The only information we share with clients is the aggregate shopping data our panel members transmit to us.
They will never see your name, address, or contact information.
My Best Nielsen Reward Ever
The reward that meant the most to me was when my refrigerator broke down in my UK house, which I was renovating.
I had to put the contents of my refrigerator in a cooler and leave it on the deck to stay cold. I had no other options, or I would have had to toss all the food in the garbage.
I didn’t have the cash to buy a new refrigerator as it was all tied up in the house, and although I had small emergency savings, I didn’t view that as an emergency.
I was single and was fine keeping it in the cooler until I saved up the money to buy one.
The great news was that I didn’t need to save any money because I had enough rewards points from the Homescan program to get a shiny new refrigerator for FREE!
It felt so good redeeming my points for something I did to help companies market products that consumers come to love.
Once I moved to Canada, I had to give up my scanner, but now I’m scanning Canada and earning rewards again.
If you want to sign up for your family, don’t wait because getting involved is easy, but you have to fill out the Nielsen Homescan forms to see if you qualify for the scanner.
It’s a simple process and legitimate, no scam.
Nielsen Homescan Canada CBB Fan Review
But WAIT, that’s not all!
If you don’t believe me about how excellent the Nielsen Homescan Canada Program is, listen to what CBB fan Nicola has to say!
It was great that Nicola, who shares her recipes on Canadian Budget Binder, is part of the Nielsen Homescan team and was able to share her experience using the hand-scanner and participate in consumer feedback for all of us today.
It’s always nice to hear first-hand experiences so we can make decisions based on that of others who are successful with the Nielsen Homescan program.
Hi Mr.CBB and Fans!
Being a member of the Nielsen Homescan brings many rewards and all you have to do is scan your shopping.
When I say scan your shopping this means I scan everything from gas, groceries even clothing and toys with the hand-held device they provided me with.
The scanner is pretty easy to set up and hook up to your computer. It gets even better as during the year they put on double points events for scanning all items and bonuses for answering extra special surveys.
Now these surveys last for a week but you earn up to $45 for the week which is great especially if you like saving for Christmas or a special occasion.
I have gotten cinema tickets, Chapters & Indigo gift cards and yes I have also done the week-long challenge for a $45 Visa gift-card.
They have the odd survey too during the month but unlike most it’s not a constant hustle of filling up to 3 or 4 surveys a day for the same amount of points if not more- Nicola D.
Good Luck, and let me know when you are accepted to share your experiences with the Canadian Budget Binder fans!!
Nielsen Survey Sign-Up Is Free
Once again, here is the link to sign up>>> I want to be part of the Nielsen Homescan Canada Program!!
Honestly, this is one of the coolest grocery programs in Canada, and I 100% back it by experience.
Other Cool Canadian Rewards Programs To Check Out!
You’ll find the Ultimate Guide For Saving Money as a way to earn extra cash, gifts or discounts when you need it the most.
December grocery game challenge posts
If you missed any grocery game posts for the Month, I would post the line-up for the Month each week here in this section.
Join in the Grocery Game Challenge fun and post your grocery shop in the comment section of each blog post.
Here are the GGC rules! (This game has now stopped on CBB)
Grocery Saving Tips
Click, Save and Print. It’s that easy!
If chosen, you will receive rewards by scanning the bar code on your grocery purchases and completing fun surveys with the scanner provided to you from Homescan Canada.
One registration per household.
Once you sign up using the link above, they will put you on a reserve waiting list, and randomly selected. Sign up now; it’s worth it!!
Free Money Saving Downloads are budget printable forms to help get us on track with our finances.
I hope you take the time to get back on track and start the savings process in your grocery budget today.
Get organized with a FREE freezer inventory, meal plan, shopping list, price comparison list and much more, all for FREE.
CLICK HERE to download all the free lists and even our family budget spreadsheet for FREE.
NEW!! You can now download the FREE Canadian Budget Binder Budget Spreadsheet in Excel.
Grab it while you can; It’s FREE!
We use it to budget primarily because we could pay our mortgage off in 5 years. Check it out!
Subscribe To Gain Access To My Free Budget Printables
Subscribe To the Canadian Budget Binder And Get My Exclusive CBB Emergency Binder FREE!
Ultimate Grocery Shopping Guide
Everything you want to know about grocery shopping in Canada is below, with new monthly information.
If you are new here and haven’t had a chance to read past posts, grab yourself a beverage, sit down, relax and enjoy some educational reading material on ways to save money in your grocery budget.
Check out my Ultimate Grocery Shopping Guide.
If you are a foodie like me, you will enjoy going through my Free Recipe Index, where recipes from CBB foodie Nicola and myself are shared every Sunday on the blog.
Check it out! Try a recipe and leave a review for other fans!
Shoppers Drug Mart
- 1 x 4L Milk $3.97
- Dozen Eggs $1.99
- Campbell’s soup $0.49
Total out-of-pocket $ 6.45
Our Grocery Budget
Yearly grocery budget for two: $2820
(The above total does not include the stockpile budget of $240 per year or $20 per Month.)
- Total Grocery Budget for the Month: $235.00 or $78.33 week with potentially one no-shop week or $58.75 for four weeks per Month. (During the months with five weeks, we make it work)
- Total Budget for November $235.00 This Month’s grocery shop leaves us $265.78 over budget!! Our November and December grocery budget will be $470-$265.78=$204.22 or $102.11 to spend each Month to keep us on track for 2014.
- Total Coupons Used this Week: $0
- Total Coupons Used to date: $74.19
- Total Discounts this Week: $0
- Total Discounts Used to date: $74.23
- Total Gift Cards Used to date: $33.18
- Total Rewards Points Used: $0
- Total Rewards Points Used to date: $40.00
- Stockpile Budget ($20.00): $20.64
- Stockpile Budget Used to Date: $20.00+$19.08+$17.94+ $2.06+$20.00+$15.10 + $20.00 (June)+ $22.44 (July) + (August) $8.00+ (September) $0 + October $19.92+November $0+Dec $20.64
- Snap Groupon to date: $2.00 (cashed out $23.xx this week)
- Zweet to date: $4.00
- Cart Smart to date: $0
- Checkout51 to date: $12.75
- Scanning Code of Practice (SCOP) $2.99
- Total Spent This Week: $6.45
- Total Spent So Far December $73.73+$5.96=$79.69 (we have $89.72 to spend for the Month)
- Total Over/Under spend this shop: $ n/a
- Total Over/Under spend for the Month: over $0
- Total Left to Spend for the Month: $15.99-$5.96=$10.03-$6.45= $3.58
- Total to Carry Over Next Month: $. n/a
- Total Spent To Date This Year: (does not include stockpile budget) Jan $242.66+ Feb $191.74+ March $255.82+April $235.07+May $223.62+June $275.37+ July $203.36+ August $228.26+ Sept $272.80+ Oct $451.48+Nov $114.50+ Dec $
We are coming down to the wire now, and I think we will make our grocery budget for the year.
There is enough left to buy some milk, and we are off on vacation next Monday.
I will do a year-end tally in January. We still have one week to go for 2014, which is exciting.
Frequently Asked Canadian Grocery Questions
- Does your Grocery Budget include health and beauty and laundry products?: Yes, our Grocery Budget includes such items as shampoo, conditioner, laundry soap, fabric softener, dish soap etc. We don’t mind stockpiling items that won’t be affected by expiry dates or have long expiry dates but not so much food anymore. It’s just one way to help cut your budget to save money.
- Where can I find Canadian Coupons?
- What is an FPC?: An FPC is a free product coupon which means you can get a free product as described on the coupon.
- How Do I Grocery Shop?: I can tell you about grocery shopping and what we do in terms of shopping to save money and how it works for us. There are no wrong or correct answers, just smart choices.
Subscribe To The Canadian Budget Binder
To access my FREE Budget and Printable Budget Binder Sheets, subscribe to the blog to get your access code.
- Follow Me on Social media by clicking any of the buttons below on the blog.
- Check out my new Free Recipe Index.
- If you like FREE, click this link for my FREE Excel Budget Spreadsheet and all my Free Money Saving Lists!
Subscribe To the Canadian Budget Binder And Get My Exclusive CBB Emergency Binder FREE!
Please note: When you sign up for Nielsen Homescan CBB, you get paid a small portion of the money as an affiliate, which then helps fund this blog.