Eating healthy on a budget is important which means having healthy snacks available is a great way to fuel your day.
Most people snack in-between meals because they get their hunger on before it’s meal time.
It happens to just about everyone and it’s very important to fill your body with the good stuff and not the bad stuff.
One thing I’m sure you can agree with me on is that if we stock unhealthy treats in the kitchen, we will eat them.
You might tell yourself that you won’t but when that moment hits and you know you have a bucket of Ben and Jerry’s or a jar of Nutella, look out the monster in us comes out.
It’s happened to me on many occasions but it’s not bad in moderation.
It’s not just chocolate that is the troublemaker it’s the chips, crackers, coated nuts etc. You only have to walk down the snack aisle once and probably the only products you would find that would considered healthy snacks would be salsa and mixed nuts and fruits.
If you want to munch on the good stuff and have that guilt-free feeling be mindful when you create your grocery shopping list and only buy foods that promote healthy eating habits.
It’s easy to say you will make homemade salsa, hummus and other dips for your pita chips, pretzels, air-popped popcorn or other healthy snacks but with busy schedules that’s not always possible. So go ahead and buy the dips in your local supermarket, fresh if your budget allows.
If you have the time make them at home because nothing beats anything homemade!
Since Mrs. CBB had our son at the end of last year she has put me on strict healthy snack alert for our kitchen. Like most new moms she wants to get back into shape which means no more brownies, muffins or scones which I enjoying baking for the blog.
She loves homemade foods especially when I bake so I’m not baking as much these days. We are focusing on eating chicken breasts, turkey, minced chicken and lots of vegetables and fruits which is not out of the ordinary for us.
If we have these healthy snacks ready to go it’s easy for us both especially when we’re having a tough day with our boy and no time to spare. He’s teething now and crawling all over the house. Unfortunately we don’t have any help here for my wife so she’s alone most of the time.
She does get a chance to make quick healthy meals here and there but most of her success is when she prepares her meals and healthy snacks at night when I’m around.
I’m pretty sure that you will see from our list of healthy snacks below that all the items are budget-friendly.
I think most people get scared when they think about paying for healthy snacks but they shouldn’t. The grocery budget will start to jump when you get into all those 100 calorie snack treats that are marketed to the masses.
They aren’t cheap!
All they are treats that are portioned and you will pay for that. If you just forget about them you won’t want them. Find another alternative that isn’t so processed and your body will thank you with lots of energy!
One of my wife’s friends likes to have a cheat day once a week which is a great way to not feel deprived if that is how you feel about missing those yummy salty and sweet treats. My wife does the same and it seems to work for her, but only once a month.
If you have kids don’t forget they are part of the grocery budget too and they like snacks even more than adults do. Creating kids snacks that are healthy also promotes healthy eating which they may appreciate later in life. Remember they watch what you eat so if you eat it they might want it too.
Healthy eating habits begins with you, in your kitchen. The key is to keep a variety of healthy snacks in the house so you don’t get bored eating the same stuff over and over so limit what you buy so options change.
Even better if you love to cook try to create your own homemade healthy snacks. This way you have the wheel when it comes to flavours and how you choose to prepare your healthy snacks.
List of Healthy Snack Ideas
The above list contains healthy snacks that we like to keep in our kitchen at various times of the year so they are always available. Just be mindful of the ingredients as some may contain too much salt and sugar so opt for low sodium and sugar versions if available.
Your list of healthy snacks might be much different from ours so please leave us a comment and tell us what other healthy snacks you’d add to our list.
April grocery game challenge posts
If you missed any grocery game posts for the month I will post the line-up for the month each week here in this section for you.
Join in the Grocery Game Challenge fun and post your grocery shop in the comment section of each blog post… here are the GGC rules!
- How to save money when buying meat- The Grocery Game Challenge #1 Apr 6-12,2015
- How to save money on fresh produce – Fruits and Vegetables- The Grocery Game Challenge #2 April 13-18, 2015
- Ultimate Grocery List for the Single Shopper- The Grocery Game Challenge 3 April 19-26, 2015
Grocery Saving Tips
Click, Save and Print. It’s that easy!
Free Money Saving Downloads are awesome lists that were created to get us on track to work towards reaching our budgeting goals and now we are sharing them with you.
I hope you take the time to get back on track and start the savings process in your grocery budget today.
Get organized with a FREE freezer inventory, meal plan, shopping list, price comparison list and much more all for FREE. CLICK HERE to download all the free lists and even our family budget spreadsheet for FREE.
NEW!! You can now download the FREE Canadian Budget Binder Budget Spreadsheet in Excel…Grab it while you can… It’s FREE! We use it to budget and in large part a reason we could pay our mortgage off in 5 years, check it out!
Ultimate Grocery Shopping Guide
If you are new here and haven’t had a chance to read past posts grab yourself a beverage, sit down, relax and enjoy some educational reading material on ways to save money in your grocery budget.
If you missed a Grocery Game Challenge post some of the most popular posts are listed below or you can now find the posts listed on their own page called The Ultimate Grocery Shopping Guide.
If you know a topic that should be discussed send me an email.
2015 Grocery shop results
If you are a foodie like I am you will enjoy going through my Free Recipe Index where recipes from CBB Home Chef Nicola Don and myself are shared every Sunday on the blog. Check it out!
Yearly grocery budget for two 2015: $2820
(The above total does not include the stockpile budget of $240 per year or $25 per month.
- Milk $3.87
- Fontina cheese $7.82-50% plus 600 PC Plus points- $3.90
- Pam cooking spray $3.99- 50%= $2.00
- 2 x PC Strawberry Greek Yogurt $4.29-50% = $2.15 each
Total Out-of-Pocket: $14.05 (rounded)
Meat Savings Regular Price $183.30 we paid $66.82.
Total out-of-pocket $lots>>> $118.35- $8.05 stockpile $110.30
Points Overview (add any other sections you need to show us your savings)
- Total Grocery Budget for the Month: $235.00
- Total Grocery Budget with any carry-overs $235.00
- Total Gift Cards used to date: $0
- Total Rewards Points redeemed this week: $0
- Total Rewards Points used to date: $20.00
- PC Points Plus Earned to date: 63742
- Scanning Code of Practice (SCOP) to date $0
Coupon Apps (add any other apps you use to save money)
- Snap Groupon to date: $1.50
- Zweet to date: $1.50
- Cart Smart to date: $0
- Checkout51 to date: $1.50
GROCERY SHOP THIS WEEK (add any other sections you need to show expenses and savings)
- Total to spend this month $213.47 ($26.53 overage from March applied)
- Stockpile budget 2015 ($25.00): (Jan/Feb) $50.00 +$0 (Mar)+$16.94
- Stockpile budget used this month: $25.00
- Total coupons used this week: $0
- Total coupons used to date: $13.00
- Total in-store discounts this week: $10.18
- Total in-store discounts to date: $389.75
- Total spent this week: $14.05
- Total spent so far this month: $258.44
- Total over/Under spend this shop: $over
- Total over/Under spend for the month: -$44.97
- Total left to spend for the month:- $44.97
- Total Spent To Date 2015: (does not include stockpile budget) Jan $166.49+ Feb $261.51+ Mar $231.02 + April $258.44
Weekly Overview (your final thoughts) It certainly was a busy month for us at the grocery store but the good news is we didn’t need much this week. It could have been worse than what it is. We will catch up in May.
Canadian Coupons Found This Week
Last week we found quite a few coupons so check last weeks GGC post if you missed reading it as I’ve scanned in all the great coupons found in Ontario stores right now.
Here are some great places you can find Canadian Coupons!
I did want to mention that we got Brandsaver in the mail a well as Sample Source coupons and samples this past week.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Grocery Game Challenge RULES: Read the rules first and if you have any questions email me or comment on this post with your question and someone will answer you as soon as possible.
- Do I have to be Canadian to post my Grocery Shop?: No, you don’t have to be Canadian to post your shops only to win a monthly prize. We have fans who post their grocery shop who live all over the world.
- When does the Grocery Game close each month?: The Grocery Game Challenge closes at midnight of the last Sunday of the last post for the month but you will still get a ballot when you post your shops even if they are late but I encourage you to stay on schedule. It’s a proven fact the minute we stop doing something that is scheduled that we end up forgetting to do it all together. Don’t let that be you! You can post your shops all month-long.
- Does your Grocery Budget include health and beauty and laundry products?:
YesNo, our Grocery Budget includes such items as shampoo, conditioner, laundry soap, fabric softener, dish soap etc. As of 2014-2015 we no longer include such items in our grocery budget so we can see actual food numbers at the end of the year so we can plan accordingly for our budget. We don’t mind stockpiling items that won’t be affected by expiry dates or have long expiry dates but not so much food any more. It’s just one way to help cut your budget to save money.
- Canadian Coupons: Where can I find Canadian Coupons?: Here are your latest Checkout 51 offers that you can use to help you save money in the Grocery Game Challenge. There are many great Canadian Couponing websites online that share weekly coupon match-ups so you can plan your grocery list.
- What is an FPC?: An FPC is a free product coupon which means you can get a free product as described on the coupon.
- What is GGC?– The Grocery Game Challenge of course!
- How Do I Know what stores accept coupons?: If you are not sure it’s always best to call the store and ask.
- How Do I Grocery Shop?: I can tell you about grocery shopping and what we do in terms of shopping to save money and how it works for us. There are no wrong or right answers, just smart choices.
Over time you will gradually learn where you should and shouldn’t go in the grocery store or at least how to say no, I’m on a budget I need to buy this or that.
You may also substitute items in order to stick to your grocery budget to make it work. Nobody is perfect, heck we struggle with this part of our budget like many people do.
This is why the grocery game challenge was created to not only show you that we are like everyone else but to bring us all together to work as a team to get our budgets on track.
If you have just joined The Grocery Game Challenge 2015 get ready to dive deep into your grocery budget and learn just where you are spending, how much you are spending and what you are saving.
Feel free to read all the above posts that I linked to above which I feel are relevant to learning about the grocery budget and grocery shopping in general. If you are brave and want to learn everything I know about grocery shopping in Canada check out my Ultimate Grocery Shopping Guide! It’s FREE!
You’ve made a wise decision to take control of your grocery budget now show me your shops and let’s get saving!
Welcome to The Grocery Game Challenge 2015!
Join in and become money savers and take control of your grocery budget.
Are You New To Canadian Budget Binder?
- Follow Me on Social media by clicking any of the buttons below on the blog.
- Check out my new Free Recipe Index
- If you like FREE then click this link for my FREE Excel Budget Spreadsheet and all my Free Money Saving Lists.
Photo Credit:(Underlying) Free Digital Photos: KEKo64