As a consumer whether you are happy or unsatisfied where you shop they most likely have a customer feedback opportunity in which you can share your opinion in order to praise or help improve the shopping experience.
The last thing you want to do after finishing your grocery shopping is to fill out a customer feedback report for the grocery store even if there are perks involved. I’m here to tell you that if you do participate in customer feedback that the results will come back to you in the form of riches.
A couple of years back my wife took the time to fill out an online customer survey for Giant Tiger after a positive experience. The survey also offered a monthly prize although my wife was more interested in sharing how impressed she was with the service she was given by the lovely cashier who was absolutely pleasant.
The odds of winning a prize based out of all the Giant Tiger stores was slim. We received a phone call one late afternoon to be told that it was Giant Tiger and that we had won a gift card for participating in their online survey. She actually won the $50 gift card for sharing her feedback with the company. A total surprise for her.
Although working in customer service can be challenging at times my wife has always taken the opportunity to show an employee she values their role as a customer. When the same is reciprocated she wants to make sure their boss knows.
My wife is also one to not hold back if she has had an unpleasant experience or something to offer the store by way of potential improvement. This may be to quality control, customer service or simple marketing of products. It’s amazing what the customers will help you learn about your business so always listen to what they have to say. They are after all the money that feeds the bank account to keep you in business.
Why is customer feedback so important? It’s not just important, it’s critical. In a nutshell it’s about improving performance of the business but there are perks along the way. Customer retention is a HUGE business and if they can keep you coming back to spend money they are doing something right.
Just about everyone wants one thing and one thing only from a grocery store and that is the best prices. When I asked my fans what kept them going back to a certain grocery Colleen Knudsen said, “Prices…plain and simple economics.”
Customer service is important but not as important as the amount of money a customer can save. A cashier can be miserable but at the end of the day if you need to feed your family all you care about is the food you put on the table and whether you can afford to pay for it.
Bringing the package deal to the customers is very important because the customer never forgets. This is why product marketing and weekly flyer sales are critical to business success as an umbrella over everything else. The tricky part is keeping customers dry so they don’t end up out in the rain without any support from employees or the management team.
If you only have one grocery store to shop at or you have a variety of options everyone who has a voice counts towards the success of the business. You become richer when a business works with the customers to get them in and out efficiently while supplying quality products at the best price bundled with excellent customer service.
How far will a business go to get customer feedback?
Customer feedback will always return to the customer in many ways but only when a business listens. Not everyone takes the time to voice their opinion especially if they see it as a waste of time because they believe no one will listen. Keeping customer feedback surveys or opportunities short and to the point is in the best interest of the business.
Surprisingly not every shopper just wants the best deals when they are grocery shopping, they want much more.
Aldi: prices, treatment of employees (they pay a fair wage and allow cashiers to sit down while ringing the groceries) awesome environmental policies and the store is clean. Tonnes of gluten-free products along with other allergen free options and organic too.- Cynthia Sunshine Gardener (CBB FAN)
Just about any store that wants to grow their business wants a sneak peek inside of the minds of their customers so they can learn about their company and how it compares to competitors in the industry.
Isn’t it wonderful when you see a business make changes after requests from customers to improve their shopping experience? This happened to my wife recently after a visit to McDonald’s. She had an idea for the store so when she got home she read the receipt to find out where she could give customer feedback.
The next time we went in for coffee she was shocked to see exactly what she had emailed the restaurant about in full swing. It may have been a coincidence but the idea she offered was staring her right in the face and efficiency is now easier for the customer and the team according to feedback from an employee.
Needless to say my wife was happy that they had listened to her suggestion whether it was a direct result from her idea or not. This is why it’s important to offer feedback to a business in hopes of changing the restaurant experience in a positive way.
A feedback tool will answer important questions
Why does a business want customer feedback? For many reasons and although you may not think they are important or that your voice is not needed the information collected is mighty valuable.
- They want to know how your shopping experience was
- They want to know how to improve products and customer satisfaction
- They want to know how to improve customer retention
- They want to know how to better serve their customers
- They want to know how to make better decisions about their business
- They want to know Who, What, When, Where, Why and How
- They want to make you happy
How are grocery stores capturing customer feedback?
Any feedback tool will do as long as the customer has an outlet to provide information to the business. It’s always nice to have an ‘other’ section for a customer to fill out additional information if a survey is offered whether written or completed online.
- In-store questions or survey, freebies and samples as lures or a contest
- Online customer feedback survey
- Online through social media outlets
- Written feedback (old-school drop-box format)
- Phone-call customer feedback
Most often the only way grocery stores are able to get the customer feedback is by offering an incentive for customers. The customer retention strategy will always be to engage the customers so they feel like part of the team. When you involve the customers they feel as if they are participating in making their grocery shopping chore which it is for most of us, an important one.
I know many of you read your grocery receipt before you leave the store to make sure you aren’t overpaying for any items. Sadly this is solely done because of the Scanning Code of Practice (SCOP) but even for stores that don’t offer SCOP we should all take the time to review our shopping bill. Participating in SCOP may yield you a freebie but for the store it shares a deeper line of information about their pricing strategy.
The customer survey benefits everyone because when a business cares about their customers those customers will be customers for life. A winning combination if you ask me. If you are wondering how you will become richer by taking the time to express whether you had a good customer service experience or one with some hiccups you ultimately reap the rewards.
- Cleaner store
- Quality products
- Better prices
- In-store specials
- Better hours
- Cash Back/Rewards
- Faster service
- Happier service
Overall everything that you offer in your customer feedback to a store will be looked at and either implemented or considered for when the time is right. Part of good customer service doesn’t end at the cash register it never ends.
Offering an incentive to the customer might make you a little richer with rewards but the richness comes in the form of knowing that you are making a difference for a business who relies on your opinion. A successful business will always roll down the benefits back to the customer.
So the next time you see the opportunity to provide customer feedback in any of the various ways they are looking to get it, don’t be shy and speak up. You never know if you will make a difference to help improve a shopping experience for everyone not just yourself even if you don’t win a prize.
How have you participated in customer feedback?
What the fans say is important to them.
Are you listening?
Save-On-Foods. What kept me going there was the very high standard of service and, although Save-On-Foods is not as good it’s still better than the big box stores. Their pharmacy, in particular has been a boon to me. They were outstanding in their care and compassion during my husband’s final illness. Now I keep going back because I believe that such kindness deserves customer loyalty.- Beth Anne
The clerks at the Co-op are the best most of them know me and my hubby, and will tell each us if the other just came in and if we got something that the other just bought . we tend to go thru the same clerks till for some reason. The other day I was in and using my husbands Amex credit card. It wouldn’t take the chip so I swiped it and apparently that’s a no no there if it’s not your credit card.(used to be over $50 they needed ID). The cashier called the manager and he let it go thru with the clerks vouching for me being in the store as often as I was. –Mary D
I have the local Foodland right across the street but we were going there before we moved to this house. Compared to the other store in town the prices were good and the staff were super friendly and they still are. It is rather nice to have the staff know me by name.- Christine W.
Grocery store of choice is superstore. Love the points I get back– Cathleen R.
Price and convenience. I love the fruit and veggies from Costco and the local store is the only local store.– Michelle K.
April Grocery Game Challenge posts 2016
Join in the 2016 Grocery Game Challenge (GGC) fun and post your grocery shop in the comment section of each GGC blog post. Here are the rules to get you started and where you’ll also find a link for the updated 2016 GGC schedule. Please feel free to download, save and even print the schedule so it’s handy. Thanks to Mary for putting this together for us again this year. If you need any help please let me know.
New monthly prize: $10 President’s Choice Gift Card for Canadian residents only BUT If you want to play from outside of Canada and have PayPal and you win I will pay you $10 Canadian . I use a random online generator to pick the winning ballot every month.
If you missed any grocery game posts for the month I will post the line-up each week below for you so you don’t have to go looking for past GGC posts for the month. Alternatively, just click on the “Grocery Game Challenge” tab on the blog side-bar to see past posts.
April Grocery Game Posts
Free Money Saving Tools 2016
I know I blast you every which way I can on this blog about my free money saving tools and that’s because I want you to take advantage of them being FREE. So many people pay for budgets and tools on the internet to help them save money and honestly you don’t need to. Even a paper and pen will do the trick.
Click, Save and Print. It’s that easy!
This is the budget that brought us to debt freedom back in 2013 and now I’m offering to all of you for FREE. We still use this budget every month as it helps us to see our overall financial picture.
You can download the FREE Canadian Budget Binder Budget Spreadsheet in Excel…Grab it while you can… It’s FREE! We use it to budget and in large part a reason we could pay our mortgage off in 5 years, check it out!
Free Money Saving Downloads are awesome lists that were created to get us on track to work towards reaching our budgeting goals and now we are sharing them with you.
Get organized with a FREE freezer inventory, meal plan, shopping list, price comparison list and much more all for FREE.
CLICK HERE to download all the free lists and even our family budget spreadsheet. So many free resources at your fingertips.
Ultimate Grocery Shopping Guide 2016
The Ultimate Grocery Shopping guide is ongoing with new informative money-saving posts added every month.
Even if you don’t live in Canada there are some amazing budget saving tips that will help put you on the path to more savings at the supermarket.
Share this guide with your friends and tell them about Canadian Budget Binder especially if they are struggling with their grocery budget.
The time is NOW to get started saving money on groceries so please enjoy the many money-saving posts in the The Ultimate Grocery Shopping Guide.
2016 Grocery Shop Results
Yearly grocery budget for two + 1 Toddler 2016: $2820
(The above total does not include the stockpile budget of $300/year or $25/month.
Points Overview (add any other sections you need to show us your savings)
- Total Grocery Budget for the Month:$235.00-$8.50=$226.50
- Total Grocery Budget with any carry-overs $226.50
- Total Gift Cards used to date: $50
- Total Rewards Points redeemed this week: $0
- Total Rewards Points used to date: $0
- PC Points Plus Earned to date: 149,000
- Scanning Code of Practice (SCOP)to date $0
- Shoppers Optimum: Over 700,000 points (I will update this twice a year)
Coupon Apps (add any other apps you use to save money)
- Snap Groupon to cash out : $6.50
- Zweet to cash out : $18.25
- Checkout51 to cash out : $7.00
Grocery Shop This Week
- 3.25% Sealtest Milk $5.27
- 2% Sealtest Milk $4.27
- 2x Uncle Bens Stuffing mix $0.27 each
- 2 x Kraft Peanut Butter (just peanuts) Sale $4.99 each
- Bag of Bok Choy $3.00-50%= $1.50
- Bananas $2.00
- Maple Lodge Wieners $2.79
- Sandwich Steaks Angus $17.24-50%= $8.62
- Tomato Basil Pork Sausages $6.71-50%= $3.36
- Marc Angelo Chicken Sausages $5.99-50%= $3.00
- Hellman’s Mayo with Balsamic Vinaigrette $5.99-50% = $3.00 + 600 bonus points
Total Out-Of-Pocket $44.33
- Total to spend this month $226.50
- Stockpile budget 2016 ($25.00-$2.65 overage= $22.35)
- Stockpile budget used this month: $21.60 $0.75 left
- Total coupons used this week: $0
- Total coupons used to date: $5.60
- Total in-store discounts this week:$22.92
- Total in-store discounts to date: $226.93
- Total spent this week: $44.33
- Total spent so far this month: $146.36
- Total over/Under spend this shop: over
- Total over/Under spend for the month: under
- Total left to spend for the month: $80.14
- Total Spent To Date 2016: (does not include stockpile budget) Jan $252.95+ Feb $249.46+March $211.11+April $
Weekly Overview (your final thoughts)
We didn’t need too much this week but what we did pick up was staples and a few of those pretty 50% off sticker items that we found. Since I’m working so much now we didn’t have time to shop at more than one store so our shopping was exclusive this week.
Coupons and Coupon Apps 2016
Here are some great places you can find Canadian Coupons! These are your latest Checkout 51 offers which you can use to help save money. We’re finding less and less coupons in the stores these days. What are your thoughts? Are coupon apps taking over the paper coupons?
Sign up for the Nielsen Canada Home Scan Program and you can earn rewards points fast to redeem for awesome products or gift cards. I did this in the UK and loved it!!
Plus check out these other hidden areas online to get more coupons!!
- Healthy Essentials Printable Coupons (Johnson and Johnson)
- Clorox Coupons Sign up to print coupons in the Clorox family which include Greenworks, Glad etc.
- Kraft Canada Sign up and receive recipes and coupons by email
- MySavings.com Printable Smart Source Coupons
- Walmart Canada Printable Coupons
- Proctor and Gamble PandG Sign up for printable coupons
- Hidden Coupon Portals You Should know about – I found this over at Save a Loonie and you’ll want to sign up for notifications and check out the site so you get notified every time a hidden coupon is available from Save.ca, Brandsaver, Smart Source etc.
Grocery Game Challenge 2016 FAQ’s
- Grocery Game Challenge RULES: Read the rules first and if you have any questions email me or comment on this post with your question and someone will answer you as soon as possible. The rules have been updated for the 2016 challenge year.
- Do I have to be Canadian to post my Grocery Shop?: No, you don’t have to be Canadian to post your shops. We have fans who post their grocery shop who live all over the world.
- What is the monthly prize and who can claim it?- The monthly prize is a $10 PC Loblaws Gift Card and for our out of country friends it’s $10 CDN via Paypal if they win. As more people join I will add more money to the gift card or I will split it up and offer 2 prizes every month.
- When does the Grocery Game close each month?: The Grocery Game Challenge closes at midnight of the last Sunday of the last post for the month but you will still get a ballot when you post your shops even if they are late but I encourage you to stay on schedule. If you choose to post monthly or bi-weekly you will only get 1 ballot for that shop. It’s a proven fact the minute we stop doing something that is scheduled that we end up forgetting to do it altogether. Don’t let that be you! You can post your shops all month-long.
- Does your Grocery Budget include health and beauty and laundry products?: No, our Grocery Budget includes such items as shampoo, conditioner, laundry soap, fabric softener, dish soap etc. As of 2014-2015 we no longer include such items in our grocery budget so we can see actual food numbers at the end of the year in order to plan accordingly our budget.
- Do you stockpile food? We don’t mind stockpiling items that won’t be affected by expiry dates or have long expiry dates but not so much food any longer as we found we weren’t eating it fast enough. Stockpiling is still great and just one way to help cut your budget to save money if you do find items that you can buy in bulk at a sale price.
- Canadian Coupons:Where can I find Canadian Coupons?: Here are your latest Checkout 51 offers that you can use to help you save money in the Grocery Game Challenge. There are many great Canadian Couponing websites online that share weekly coupon match-ups so you can plan your grocery list.
- Best Coupon Apps: Coupons are slowly fading with mobile coupon apps being the big rave these days. Just recently the popular coupon site Save.ca that mailed coupons to households has gotten involved with the addition of a new mobile Save.ca app joining forces with the many other coupon apps available. If you find an app that I don’t talk about please let me know as they are always being added and I’d like to review them.
- What is the Best Flyer App- We use Flipp on our Iphone so if you wan to have all your flyers in one spot download Flipp from the Apple Store or get it on Google Play.
- What is an FPC?: An FPC is a free product coupon which means you can get a free product as described on the coupon.
- What is GGC?– The Grocery Game Challenge of course!
- How Do I Know what stores accept coupons?: If you are not sure it’s always best to call the store and ask.
- How Do I Grocery Shop?: I can tell you about grocery shopping and what we do in terms of shopping to save money and how it works for us. There are no wrong or right answers, just smart choices.
Nobody is perfect, heck we struggle with this part of our budget like many people do. This is why the grocery game challenge was created back in 2012 and is one of the most popular hang out spots for people who want to save money on groceries in Canada.
If you’ve just joined The Grocery Game Challenge 2016 get ready to look at your grocery budget by learning…
- Where you are spending money
- How much money you are spending
- How much money you are saving every month
If you want to learn everything I know about grocery shopping in Canada check out my Ultimate Grocery Shopping Guide! It’s FREE!
If you know a topic that should be discussed send me an email. If I use your topic I will put your name in a draw for a prize at the end of the year.
You’ve made a wise decision to take control of your grocery budget now show me your shops and let’s get saving!
Welcome to The Grocery Game Challenge 2016!
Please Note: Some of the links in the body of the blog post are affiliate links which means I may get paid if you buy something from Amazon. The items I’ve chosen are products we use at home or similar to.
Are You New To Canadian Budget Binder?
- Follow Me on Social media by clicking any of the buttons below on the blog.
- Check out my new Free Recipe Index
- If you like FREE then click this link for my FREE Excel Budget Spreadsheet and all my Free Money Saving List
- Don’t forget to Subscribe to Canadian Budget Binder by Email to get my daily email. Once you subscribe you MUST VERIFY your email account so check your spam folder and inbox for that email! By Subscribing you get all the inside scoops first plus any new finance tools and tips!