GET READY TO HIT PRINT ON THIS JUICY ITALIAN TURKEY MEATLOAF RECIPE
Mozzarella stuffed Italian turkey meatloaf tastes as good as it looks and it’s low carb, gluten-free and keto-friendly.
All the wonderful elements of a classic turkey meatloaf but without the breadcrumb fillers but loaded with Salerno mozzarella which oozes gooey when baked.
Just look at the photo once again…yes, it is THAT GOOD!
Characteristics of an amazing meatloaf recipe
A meatloaf recipe has to be moist, flavourful and paired up with a nice homemade sauce or gravy.
If I had it my way a nice side of buttery mashed potatoes but these days we opt for something healthier such as a garden salad.
These days most people are looking to cut the carbs and opt for smarter choices such as vegetables, fruits, and proteins.
Do you ever just have one of those days where you come home and the last thing you want to do is cook a big meal?
We have them often especially with an almost 3-year-old running around the house.
Although we like to use our crock-pot to ease into a quiet evening of family time there are times where we enjoy hot meals baked in the oven.
Generally, you can make meatloaf with any type of mince where we often choose turkey, beef, pork or a mixture.
The absolute number one key to a moist meatloaf is not to play around with it too much.
If you get in there with your hands knead it like a loaf of bread, it will turn out like a loaf of bread.
You have to be gentle and slowly mix the meat, eggs, cheese, and spices together as if you were giving someone a massage.
Sounds daft, but it works.
When this turkey meatloaf came from the oven it was golden buttery brown with a light layer of cheese that oozed out and extremely moist.
There were juices sitting in the glass loaf pan which indicates to me a moist turkey meatloaf.
When you are working with turkey mince especially if it is just turkey breast you must add fat because turkey is a leaner meat.
Since we are working on a keto lifestyle also known as low carb and gluten-free we add butter and avocado oil to bring up the fat content in the turkey meatloaf.
Adding Italian spices, mustard powder, onion powder, garlic powder, Parmigiano cheese, eggs, Worcestershire sauce, apple cider vinegar, Franks Red hot sauce made a huge difference to the texture of the turkey meatloaf.
Related: 6 Proven Benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar
I’m craving turkey meatloaf sandwiches on Oopsie bread while typing this recipe for you at 5 am which tells me I REALLY liked how it turned out.
I hope you enjoy this simple turkey meatloaf as much as we do. Remember to keep low-key recipes such as this one on hand for those days where you want a hot meal from the oven without all the fuss.
Easy clean-up too!
About 20 minutes into baking the turkey meatloaf in a clear loaf pan I also whipped up sugar-free blackberry BBQ sauce to top the turkey meatloaf.
We make BBQ sauce often because it’s simple to do and an inexpensive condiment packed with flavour.
If you plan to ever buy sugar-free, gluten-free or any healthier options of condiments you’ll pay a bit more money.
Homemade is always cheaper and you know what goes into it.
I don’t have this particular recipe for my BBQ sauce on the blog yet but if you’d like it just leave a comment below and I’d be happy to get it up in another blog post.
Let’s get cooking.
How to make Mozzarella Stuffed Italian Turkey Meatloaf
- 1lb Mince Turkey
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup fresh grated Parmigiano
- 1/4 almond flour (not meal)
- 1 teaspoon ground Himalayan pink salt or sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire
- 1 teaspoon Franks Red Hot Sauce or your favourite
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups shredded Italian mozzarella
- 3 tablespoons butter
- cooking spray
- Pre-heat your oven to 325 degrees
- Spray your loaf pan with cooking spray (I used a glass loaf pan standard size)
- In a large mixing bowl add all the ingredients apart from the mozzarella and keep back 1 tablespoon of butter for the top of the loaf.
- Mix as gently as you can with your clean hands or with gloves just until incorporated
- Flatten out to 1 inch thick on parchment or wax paper
- Fill with shredded mozzarella cheese and fold over pinching the sides closed
- Add to a loaf pan
- Top with small globs of butter from the last tablespoon
- Bake in the oven for 25 minutes then cover with tinfoil for the remaining 10 minutes. Finally the last 5 minutes remove tinfoil to get that golden buttery brown top.
- Serve with homemade bbq sauce, gravy, and your favourite side-dish
Ideally, you will want to make sure your turkey mince is defrosted if you keep it frozen or if it’s fresh from the shop or you just happen to grind your own that is the best way to start this recipe.
Before cutting into your turkey meatloaf let it rest about 5 minutes to let the juices settle back into the meat.
Trust me you’ll love it if you do this.
Let me know what you think in the comment section below.
Help Support Canadian Budget Binder
Per entire Recipe: 7.3g Carbs – 3 grams Fiber Net Carbs 4.3g or just over 1 carb per slice if you slice 4. This recipe can serve 4 nice portion sized slices of turkey meatloaf or 8 smaller.
Please share this recipe with your friends if you think they might like it and please leave a review and tell me what you think.
You can also pin the recipe on Pinterest and share it on just about every social media outlet. Big Thanks.
Enter your email address on the home page to SUBSCRIBE to my blog.
Once you subscribe you will receive an email from me immediately which you need to open and approve the subscription in order to start receiving my daily blog post.
Note: Check your Junk Mail if you don’t see it or email me to check into your subscription status.
If you like FREE then click this link for my FREE Excel Budget Spreadsheet and lists. Check out my new Free Recipe Index Plus catch up on all the ways to save money in our Free Ultimate Grocery Shopping Guide.
- Low Carb baked stuffed zucchini roll
- 4-Ingredient British Sponge Cake
- The only low carb bread you will need
- Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups (Low-Carb)
- Cauliflower mash beef pie (Low-Carb)
- Chocolate Avocado Pudding (Low-Carb)
- Crispy Bacon Fried Lupini Beans Low Carb