DEEP-DISH MEXICAN TACO PIE IS UNIQUE AND EXCEPTIONALLY EASY TO MAKE
Seriously, if you’ve been looking for Mexican food ideas I’ve got this amazing cheesy Taco Pie and it was a HUGE hit including Mrs. CBB who eats a keto diet.
This taco pie is hearty and packs a punch for those nights you crave comfort food but without all the heavy carbohydrates.
Make the nearest taco place be your kitchen because creating Mexican food is far tastier and less expensive than if you made a run for the border.
Mexican food lovers in Canada all know what fast-food restaurant I’m TACO’ing about!
These days Mexican style franchises are popping up all over Ontario from Mucho Burrito to Quesada Buritos and Tacos to authentic mom and pop kitchens.
Mexican restaurants are popular because they are full-flavoured and typical of a meal prepared at home such as tacos, burritos, rice dishes, chicken dishes, nachos etc.
The other reason is Mexican food is far different from your typical burger and fries joint.
When Mrs. CBB was pregnant there was NO stopping her when it came to making a pit-stop at Taco Bell.
That was really the first time I had ever tried a hard and soft-shell taco in my life.
I ate them but they weren’t my favourite fast-food likely because I imagined something authentic to be far different.
Cheesy Taco Pie made Keto
In fact, I used a medium-sized spring-form pan which was far easier than making a traditional pie crust in a pie dish.
The other reason I went with the spring-form pan was because it’s easy to unlock the taco pie, slice and serve it. Let’s not forget the depth and height of the taco pie itself is comparable to a cheesecake.
Oh, ya, baby it’s that thick and super delicious.
You will find all the traditional taco pie seasonings and beef in this recipe along with an almond crust base at the bottom.
The crust is a simple almond flour crust (we use- Bobs Red Mill Super Fine Almond Flour, 453g) that I pressed into the bottom of spring-form pan and baked for about 15 minutes at 350 degrees until golden brown.
The reason I chose to do this was so that the base did not get soggy.
You really want to have a crust that resembles something flaky, buttery and pastry like.
While the deep-dish taco pie crust was baking I went ahead and made the beef so it was ready and cooling down to pour the egg mixture into.
You want to wait until the beef is relatively cooled so the eggs don’t cook right in the beef. That’s not the idea but once it’s in the pie crust then yes it will bind.
You’ll find I added something unusual to this taco bake and that is BACON.
Everyone loves bacon especially keto, low-carb eaters. You don’t need to use the bacon if you are not a fan as it was jut an extra.
I made a jar of homemade taco seasoning which I use for all Mexican dishes so it was already pre-made in our spice cabinet.
I topped the taco pie with mozzarella and old cheddar cheese and dabs of Philadelphia cream cheese for a tangy flavour on top. Perfect!
Bake until golden about 30-40 minutes as everything is already cooked apart from the egg mixture in the beef so that doesn’t take too long to cook and heat through.
Keto Almond Crust Mexican Taco Pie
This taco pie is super delicious hot out of the oven (let it rest 5-10 minutes) but it’s tough to get a nice, even slice as it’s still hot.
The longer you wait the better the slice of taco pie you will get.
What we found however is if you let the taco pie cool overnight the spices have a better chance to come together and the crust tastes far better.
After switching to almond crust for most of our pastry type dishes we’ve found that waiting a day to eat something yields the best results. Don’t ask me why, it just does.
I served a slice of taco pie with sour-cream and chives/scallions on top along with a tangy homemade tomato salsa to help cut the flavours and a romaine lettuce salad with cucumbers.
This taco pie is certainly something you can make and freeze and take out as needed.
You can even slice the entire taco pie once it has cooled and portion it for meals which is what we do for us.
Either way you slice it, this taco pie is on our menu plan at least once a month or every two months.
How o Make A Keto Mexican Taco Pie
- Almond Crust
- 2 cups Almond flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Pink Himalayan salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 large egg beaten
- 1/3 cup cubed cold butter
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- Taco Beef Mixture
- 1-1/2lbs of Lean Beef mince
- 1/2 pound bacon cooked and sliced or crumbled
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
- 1/3 cup of homemade taco seasoning or 2 packs of taco seasoning
- 1 cup of cold water
- 1/2 cup Franks Red Hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground fresh pepper
- Egg Mixture
- 6 large eggs
- 2 green onions chopped
- 1 teaspoon pink Himalayan salt
- 1 teaspoon dry parsley
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup of shredded Mozzarella and cheddar cheese
- Taco Pie topping
- 2 cups of shredded Mozzarella and Cheddar mixed for topping
- 1/2 cup Philadelphia cream cheese
- Sour cream for serving
- optional: black olives, jalapenos for meat mixture
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
- Spray a medium spring-form pan with cooking spray
- Almond flour crust
- In a bowl add all of the almond crust ingredients and cut them with a pastry cutter, 2 butter knives or your fingers to resemble a crust.
- Press it into the bottom of the spring form pan and bake for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown then set aside to cool.
- Cook 1/2 pound of bacon until crispy, drain on paper-towel and break into pieces.
- Taco Beef Mixture
- In a large frying pan add your beef (if using lean add a bit of fat to the pan) on medium-high and cook through. Drain off any of the excess fat or juices.
- Add your taco seasoning, salt, cold water, Franks Red Hot Sauce, black pepper
- Combine thoroughly until meat is hot and cooked through.
- Set aside to cool 15 minutes
- Egg Mixture
- In a medium bowl crack 5 large eggs then add chopped green onion, salt, dry or fresh parsley, whipping cream and mix. Add 1 cup of shredded cheese and fold in.
- Once the meat mixture and the almond crust has cooled you can put the taco pie together.
- Add the egg mixture to the beef mixture and mix to combine.
- Pour the mixture into your prepared spring-form pan with the baked almond crust
- Top with nobs of cream cheese
- Add remaining 2 cups of shredded Mozzarella and Cheddar cheese
- Bake on a baking sheet just in case of any leaks for 35-45 minutes or until golden and bubbly on top.
- Serve after 10 minutes cool down to make it easier to slice or even better the next day.
- Add toppings of choice, sour-cream, chives etc.
I know it looks like lots of work but it’s very easy and just a matter of following the steps.
If you don’t care for the almond crust you can leave that out.
A good meal takes love and can’t be rushed so enjoy this deep-dish taco pie if you make it.
You deserve it!
Discussion: What is your favourite Mexican dish? Leave me a comment below and I’ll answer you!
Entire Recipe according to Atkins Low Carb Counter.
1/12 slice 2.63 Net Carbs, Protein 120g 1/12 10 net grams Fat 37.2 g, 560 calories per slice
Please share this recipe with your friends if you think they might like it and please leave a review and tell me what you think.
You can also pin the recipe on Pinterest and share on just about every social media outlet. Big Thanks.
Enter your email address on the home page to SUBSCRIBE to my blog. Once you subscribe you’ll receive an email from me immediately.
The reason is that you need to approve the subscription in order to start receiving my daily blog post.
Note: Check your Junk Mail if you don’t see it or email me to check into your subscription status.
If you like FREE then click this link for my FREE Excel Budget Spreadsheet and lists.
- Creamy Tomato Bacon Salad (Low-Carb)
- Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups (Low-Carb)
- Cauliflower mash beef pie (Low-Carb)
- Chocolate Avocado Pudding (Low-Carb)
- Cauliflower Tomato Soup with Crunchy Bacon (Low-Carb)
- Low-Carb Meatballs in Tomato Sauce
- Seductive Peanut Butter Protein Cookies (Low-Carb) (Gluten-Free and Sugar-Free)
- Gorgeous Asparagus Salad with Greek Feta Cheese (Low-Carb)