THERE’S LOTS OF SNAP IN THESE EASY TO MAKE GINGER SNAPS
Bring gourmet into your home kitchen without the extra costs of the bakery. I’ve taken an old-fashioned Ginger Snaps recipe to the next level and created a cookie (biscuit) that no one has ever tasted before. Let’s be realistic here for a moment because I know many of you might be scratching your heads wondering why and how on earth I’ve made Butterscotch Ginger Snaps.
Although traditional baking holds a place in my heart I find the only way to create new recipes is to experiment. This might mean you fail at some of your test recipes but other times like this, they turn out magnificent.
Old Fashioned-Ginger Snaps
Before we get into my Butterscotch Ginger Snaps recipe for those of you not familiar with the Ginger Snap think crunch. If you’re craving a spiced cookie with a crunchy, chewy texture this is the cookie recipe that you want to make.
What are Ginger Snaps?
A ginger snap, ginger nut, or ginger biscuit is a globally popular biscuit based snack food, flavoured with ginger. Ginger snaps are flavoured with powdered ginger and a variety of other spices, most commonly cinnamon, molasses and nutmeg. – Wikipedia
I’ve always been the type of person who enjoys experimenting with flavours which is what I did with these gorgeous sugared Butterscotch Ginger Snaps. I was skeptical at first but it really does have a great taste and texture although I had to work with the recipe to get the correct consistency for a cookie batter. A really good snap for a Ginger Snaps.(say that 10 times, ha)
Ginger Snaps Cookies are easy to make and popular across the world and of course a huge hit in our household. The twist for my Ginger Snaps is the secret flavouring. Don’t you just love a good secret when reading a recipe? The big surprise is that for these Ginger Snap Cookies you add a box of Butterscotch Jello to the cookie batter.
Sounds different BUT it works! Let’s get to it.
How to make Sugared Butterscotch Ginger Snaps Cookies
I remember when Mrs. CBB was visiting me in the UK and she tried Ginger Snaps for the first time. They were not homemade Ginger Snaps rather she bought a roll of Ginger Snaps at the shop. I’m pretty sure she bought a few more packs after that first one and even brought some home to Canada with her. – Mr.CBB
- 1 cup butter, softened
- ¾ cup packed brown sugar
- 1pkg (4 serving size) Jell-O butterscotch instant pudding
- 1 egg
- ½ cup finely chopped crystallized ginger
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon water
- Heat oven to 350oF
- Beat first 5 ingredients together in a large bowl or mixer until well blended (TIP: if you didn’t have time to get your butter to room temp, grate it and it will mix into the ingredients without any lumps)
- Mix remaining ingredients except sugar into a bowl.
- Gradually add this to the pudding mix, once it starts to hold together into a dough you can add the teaspoon of water this will make the dough tight and manageable to roll.
- Divide In half and roll into two 10 inch rolls. Wrap in plastic wrap, refrigerate for 1hour or until firm.
- After 1 hour unwrap from film and roll into the granulated sugar.
- Cut dough into ½ inch slices and place roughly an inch apart onto non stick baking sheets or sprayed lightly with cooking spray.
- Bake for 11 to 13 mins or until lightly browned. Let cool for about 5mins then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
Help Support Canadian Budget Binder
Please share this recipe with your friends if you think they might like it and please leave a review and tell me what you think. You can also pin the recipe on Pinterest and share on just about every social media outlet. Big Thanks.
Enter your email address on the home page to SUBSCRIBE to my blog. Once you subscribe you will receive an email from me immediately which you need to open and approve the subscription in order to start receiving my daily blog post.
Note: Check your Junk Mail if you don’t see it or email me to check into your subscription status.
If you like FREE then click this link for my FREE Excel Budget Spreadsheet and lists. Check out my new Free Recipe Index Plus catch up on all the ways to save money in our Free Ultimate Grocery Shopping Guide.