TIME TO GET YOUR CRUNCH-FIX WITH PEPPERONI CHIPS
So, we came up with plan B, Baked Crunchy Pepperoni Chips which are extremely easy to make and inexpensive. We buy a 2kg bag of sliced pepperoni from Zehrs that is delicious and only $10 a bag. They offer mild or a hot sliced pepperoni and both are equally as delicious.
We don’t have a meat slicer of any description but if you can find whole pepperoni and can slice it in advance freezing it is an excellent money-saving option to lower your grocery budget.
The key is that pepperoni must be uniformly sliced or they will all bake differently so keep that in mind if you go the slice- it-yourself route.
Whether it’s game day, movie night or we’re in the mood for a savoury crunchy snack most often we reach for a few of our keto favourites;
- Everything But The Bagel Crispy Flatbread Crackers
- Baked and Loaded Pork Rind Nachos
- Nuts and seeds such as roasted almonds, pumpkin seeds, peanuts or walnuts
Just recently our son has been asking for salami chips which gave us the idea for pepperoni chips since he loved salami crispy from the microwave.
We originally started making pepperoni chips in the microwave which you can do but nothing beats oven-baked pepperoni chips apart from deep-fried pepperoni chips which is also an option.
Either option you choose just know that you are going to have what all low-carb, keto fans want, crunch and satisfaction.
Along with our pepperoni chips we made a layered Queso dip which mimics eating a pizza for us but without all the carbs. I don’t feel bloated nor do I feel like my stomach is full of bread which is something I’m not a huge fan of.
Why make Keto Pepperoni Chips?
- Crunchy and Satisfying
- Easy, and Keto-Friendly
- Cost-effective to do it yourself
How to make Crunchy Pepperoni Chips and Queso Dip
The cheesy Queso dip itself is a mixture of cream cheese, mayo, jalapeno, diced tomato, red pepper, sharp cheddar cheese, salt, pepper, minced onion and garlic.
I then added a layer of the Queso at the bottom of a bowl, salsa on top of that, sour cream, jalapeno shredded cheddar cheese on top. It’s that easy and now you’re ready to dip your pepperoni chips.
I have three tips to offer any of you who want to make these pepperoni chips apart from the slicing tip above.
- Use a baking sheet with a Silpat Baking Mat (Set of 3 on Amazon only $18 and last forever) or parchment paper
- Use paper towel to soak up the grease
- Never cover them up, seal them in a bag or put them in a container as they will soften.
If you want to keep the crispy texture for longer you can try the deep-frying method which I haven’t as of yet. If you plan to bring them to work put them in a brown paper lunch bag which I’ve found to be the best option for keeping them crunchy.
Poke a few holes in the top of the brown paper bag for air and away you go.
- 40 Pepperoni Slices
- Queso Dip
- 1 220g brick cream cheese
- ¼ cup mayo
- 1 cup Jalapeno Cheddar or a strong cheddar cheese (1/2 for in the Queso the other for the top)
- 1 seeded and minced jalapeno
- ½ medium tomato seeded and diced
- 1 spring onion minced
- ¼ teaspoon salt and pepper
- ½ cup chunky salsa
- ½ cup full fat sour cream
- Preheat your oven to 300.
- On a large baking sheet on your silpat or parchement paper carefully lay out the 40 pepperoni slices.
- Put them in the oven for about 15 mins or until they are crispy in texture.
- Remove from oven an place paper towel over top to remove some of the grease. Flip each pepperoni over and do the same on the bottoms.
- Once cooled cut a brown paper bag down in size and place the baked pepperoni chips inside.
- Queso Dip
- In a large bowl add all of the Queso ingredients apart from ½ cup of Jalapeno cheddar, 1 cup of salsa and ½ cup sour cream.
- Mix until combined then start layering in a bowl of your choice. Add some of the Queso to the bottom, a layer of salsa, layer of sour cream and top with the rest of the jalapeno or cheddar of your choice.
- Now you're ready to dip your pepperoni chips.
- Refrigerate up to a 5 days.
There are two servings of 20 pepperoni chips for this recipe at 200 calories each serving, zero carbs (read package of the pepperoni you buy to make sure). The Queso dip has just under 10 carbs for the entire dip at 8.4 net carbs using the Atkins Carb Counter.
Discussion: What would you dip your pepperoni chips in?