Today I’m making an easy chicken dumpling soup ready in less than one hour.
As the colder weather settles in, comfort foods slide into the weekly menu plan.
For those who are learning how to make soup, this chicken dumpling soup recipe is perfect for beginners.
Although this is a two-part soup recipe, it comes together quickly.
My Mums Homemade Flour Dumplings
If you’re anything like my family, you have a variety of soup, chili, stew, and casserole recipes.
I’m stepping out of my comfort zone and making homemade flour dumplings as my mum makes.
A few days ago, I spoke to mum on the phone and asked for her flour dumplings recipe.
It’s easy to sense her smile at the other end of the phone, knowing that her son enjoys cooking.
Spending time in the kitchen with my mum and helping her cook was something I did because I was curious.
She often reminded my siblings and me that we would have to cook for ourselves one day.
I had no idea how easy it is to make dumplings and that they steam over the soup with the lid on.
Unlike my mum, I added spices to my homemade dumplings besides salt and pepper.
Using a large ice cream scoop, I placed scoops of dumpling batter over the chicken soup.
You can use a smaller scoop if you like but always try to keep the dumplings uniform.
Doing so will help the dumplings steam quickly, and when one is done, they are ready to eat.
The idea is to cover the entire top of the soup with the dumplings, which will grow as they steam.
I included two dumplings in each bowl when I served the chicken dumpling soup.
The soup lasted two adults for three meals, six bowls, and 12 dumplings.
How To Make Chicken Dumpling Soup
First, we need to make a pot of chicken soup, followed by the flour dumplings batter.
The printable recipe is at the bottom.
- 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breast cubed
- 3 cloves of minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 cup diced onions
- 1 1/2 cups sliced celery
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 cup of frozen green peas
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 5 1/2 cups chicken broth (homemade or store-bought)
- 1/2 cup 35% heavy whipping cream
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups 35% heavy whipping cream
- Heat a large pot pan over medium, then add the extra-virgin olive oil, minced garlic, and cubed chicken breast.
- Pour into a bowl and set aside
- In the pot add the carrots, celery, and onions then gently cook until fork tender.
- Add butter, flour, oregano, thyme, salt, and pepper, and stir constantly to make a paste.
- Pour the chicken broth, and cooked chicken cubes into the pot along with the cream and two bay leaves then stir and bring to a simmer.
- Cook the chicken soup for 20 minutes on a simmer then remove the bay leaves.
- In a large bowl add the flour, salt, pepper, paprika, baking powder, and cream.
- Stir the dumpling mixture until it comes together but don’t over-stir
- Using a large ice cream scoop make 10-12 dumplings placing each one in the soup pot.
- Let the soup simmer for 15- 20 minutes with the cover on until the dumplings are cooked through.
- Add the fresh parsley over top and serve with fresh chives or grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese (optional).
- Makes 6 bowls with 2 dumplings each.
Chicken Dumpling Soup Recipe
Keep any leftovers for 3 days in the refrigerator.
I hope you enjoy my homemade chicken dumpling soup. If you do love it please return to let me know your thoughts in the comments below.
Thanks for stopping by CBB.
Subscribe To Canadian Budget Binder
Subscribe To the Canadian Budget Binder And Get My Exclusive CBB Emergency Binder FREE!