Estimated reading time: 5 minutes
Economy chickpea kale soup is more than just a healthy protein-packed winter soup.
This week, my goal was to make soup using vegetables from the reduced rack.
Whether at Food Basics or Zehrs, our top two grocery stores, we always find reduced produce.
I think it’s easy to disregard reduced food products for fear they will end up in the bin.
Change your mealtime mindset, and you’ll see how much money you can save on groceries.
Buying reduced produce is to create a meal plan using what you purchased soon after you get home.
You don’t want reduced vegetables and fruit sitting in the refrigerator for a week.
Alternatively, some people freeze reduced fruits and vegetables for later use.
Today, I will explain the cost to make economy chickpea kale soup and share tips for finding cheap produce.
What Is Kale?
Like you, years ago, I wanted to know what Kale was and how to use Kale in new recipes.
Kale is a green leafy vegetable that can be eaten raw or cooked and is dubbed a superfood.
Kale originates from the Mediterranean region. It was on the menu in Ancient Rome, and was a basic staple for peasants in the Middle Ages.It wasn’t until the 17th century that kale was introduced in North America by the English.Metro Canada Learn all about Kale
Kale is so super that it contains iron, vitamins A, C, and K, potassium, folic acid, and calcium.
I didn’t know that Kale is part of the cabbage and broccoli family and is called “curly cabbage.”
I’ve had homemade kale chips, which are excellent, and sauteed Kale with garlic, salt, lemon, and extra-virgin olive oil.
Chickpea Kale Soup From The Reduced Rack
I didn’t get the Kale from the reduced rack but from the refrigerated bunker with a 50% off sticker.
Like most leafy greens, Kale needs to be refrigerated, so always check the refrigeration section for discounts.
Mrs. CBB and I were at Food Basics on a Saturday morning to see what products we could find.
We did not set out to make chickpea and kale soup since we were dependent on what vegetables were reduced.
A 300g bag of Kale was 50% off, which cost $2.99-50%= $1.50.
We found a package of carrots, celery, and one white onion on the reduced racks for $1.00.
If you’re looking for a bean bargain, buy dry chickpeas and rehydrate them as needed.
We opted for one can of selection chickpeas that were on sale for $1.29, which is reasonable.
Lastly, we opted for $1.19 Knorr chicken bouillon cubes instead of buying pre-made chicken broth.
If you have homemade chicken broth, that’s even better, but I wanted quick, easy, and affordable.
However, if you want to make this recipe vegetarian, use vegetable broth cubes or make homemade stock.
- Kale $1.50
- Celery, Carrots, Onion $1.00
- Chickpeas $1.29
- Knorr Chicken Bouillon Cubes $1.19
The total spent at Food Basics to make one pot of chickpea kale soup is $4.98.
Not bad for a pot of soup that would feed eight people in one sitting with fresh homemade Scottish baps.
How To Make Economy Chickpea Kale Soup
Even if you don’t find your vegetables from the reduced rack this is an inexpensive soup.
Another fantastic place to find reduced fruits and vegetables is on the Flashfood App.
I swear by the Flashfood app and wish all Canadians who are looking to save money sign up.
You can read my full review of the Flashfood app and decide for yourself.
With the addition of two tablespoons of chickpeas in each bowl, this is 4.8 grams of fibre.
You can swap the chickpeas and make a white bean and kale soup which is another favourite.
Add cooked sausages to the pot of chickpea and kale soup for added protein.
The possibilities of what you can add are endless once you’ve created the soup base.
Turn this chickpea kale soup creamy by adding 1 cup of cream or a can of coconut milk.
I hope you enjoy this delicious soup as much as we do.
Ingredients Chickpea Kale Soup
- 8 cups of cold water
- 3 chicken bouillon cubes or sachets (or 8 cups of chicken bone broth)
- 300 grams of fresh Kale washed and chopped
- 1 medium onion diced
- ThreeThree carrots peeled and thinly sliced
- 4 ribs of celery cleaned and diced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (add as needed)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups of cooked chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
- Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Cooked Italian Sausages (optional)
Instructions For Chickpea Kale Soup
- Add 8 cups of cold water in a large pot with three chicken bouillon cubes, set the dial to medium-high, and stir.
- Add 300 grams of chopped fresh Kale, diced onion, sliced carrots, and celery.
- Bring to a boil, stir, reduce the heat to medium and cook until the vegetables are tender.
- Blend all of the cooked vegetables using a hand blender until smooth.
- Add chickpeas and stir gentlySalt and pepper to taste
- Top with a dollop of sour cream or parmesan (optional)
- Include cooked Italian Sausages (optional)
Other Soup Recipes You’ll Love
- Easy Homemade Chicken Dumpling Soup
- Ukrainian Borscht Soup
- Quick Veal and Vegetable Soup
- Italian Wedding Soup
- Tortellini Soup with Shredded Chicken
- Ricotta Ball Soup