The Grocery Game Challenge is a challenge for you and only you to stick to your grocery budget. Every Tuesday I post the Grocery Game Challenge on the blog which will show you where Mrs.CBB and I spend our grocery budget of $58.75 a week or $235 a month.
We also have a monthly stockpile budget of $25 which we use if necessary to stock up on any great deals we find. We have committed to one shop free week per month and are encouraging others to do this as well.
You don’t need to be from Canada to play as we have players from the USA and other parts of the World. We love players from other countries to show us how saving money in your grocery budget helps you save! Join in on the fun.
Note: Monthly prize for now is for Canadians but the bigger the game gets I might add in monetary prizes for others around the world through PayPal!
Object of the Grocery Game Challenge
To urge your family to stick to a grocery budget, avoid temptation and save money. If you can do this for one year you will see the savings. If you don’t spend all the money one week you can put that into a savings account and watch it add up or better yet put it into a TFSA or pay down debt.
In 2009 the average Ontario Household spent a whopping $7383 with approx 2.5 persons per household. Discover Finance has a must read article with numbers for clothing, food, education, healthcare etc. It’s more reason to get the budget under control.
If you have a look at Stats Canada food and other selected items from November 2010-November 2014 you will be shocked at the increases that have happened over the years.
The Consumer Price Index December 2014 released in December 2014 shares retail price movement, inflation rates and the factors underlying to them. This is just another reason it’s SO important to budget, especially when it comes to food.
Click the Stats Canada link above to get the comprehensive list of items to compare prices over the years… here is just an example of a few meat products.
|Unit||November 2010||November 2011||November 2012||November 2013||November 2014|
|Round steak||1 kg||12.65||13.58||14.17||14.77||17.71|
|Sirloin steak||1 kg||15.49||16.39||16.45||18.34||21.29|
|Prime rib roast||1 kg||20.54||22.61||23.60||23.76||28.45|
Do you want even more reward savings for your grocery budget?
NEW: Sign up today! >>> Homescan Canada! Now Accepting Applications from CBB fans!
Join the Nielsen Homescan consumer panel today!!
If chosen you will receive rewards by scanning the bar code on your grocery purchases and completing fun surveys with the scanner provided to you from Homescan Canada.
One registration per household. Once you sign up using the link above you will be put on a reserve waiting list and randomly selected households will be chosen. Sign up now…. it’s worth it!!
Overview of The Grocery Game Challenge 2015
How to Play? It’s easy!
When I post my Grocery Game Challenge Blog Post every Tuesday you post your shop in the Comment Section of that Post!
- The Grocery Week will be between Monday-Sunday or see the GROCERY GAME WEEKS 2015. These are the weeks I will be using for the year to post our grocery shops.
- I will be adding weekly Coupon Match-Ups Compliments of Save Big Live Better.
- I will post our grocery shop, how much we spent including coupons along with the budget for the shop ie: $64.00
- If you shop every 2 weeks or once a month, that’s fine as you can still play. Just post your grocery budget for that time period. Pick the week to comment when you do your shopping.
- If you shop weekly you can get more ballots in the draw but everyone has a fair shot at it.
- The object is to work towards meeting your budget goals and getting used to them.
- If it helps type out your Budget goals for the year each time you post so you keep them at the front of your mind! We would love to see them as well.
- I suggest typing your shop out in a word document, note pad of even in an email and save the draft just in case something happens as you won’t want to have to type out your shop twice.
- I read every single shop and comment on them personally and hope you will motivate me by commenting on our grocery shop. Please note that all posts are moderated so you won’t see your comment until I read it and verify it.
- You will then be given a ballot number every week that you post your shop by me so you don’t have to enter the contest I do that for you.
- I will let you know your ballot number when I comment on your post so write your ballot numbers.
- I will draw a ballot number at the end of every month’s grocery game challenge and post the WINNER in the first Grocery Game Shop of the following month.
- Your grocery shopping weeks don’t have to coincide with mine so you will always get a ballot whether it’s for the month in question or the following month depending on how you calculate your monthly budget.
- The winner will receive an envelope of Canadian coupons to help your family continue to save money.
- Canadian Residents only can WIN but all countries are welcome to PLAY the grocery game and I encourage it as we like to see what’s happening around the world.
Please read this post by my friend Kim at Eyes On The Dollar who played The Grocery Game from the USA…. an inspirational story about how The Grocery Game helped Save Their Budget!
Please use the Template Below to post your grocery shop in the comment section of each weeks Grocery Game Challenge post as it makes it easier for all of us to read your shop, follow your progress and to comment. You can expand the template as you see fit but in order for us to truly follow your shopping experience the below is the standard posting template.
The Grocery Game Challenge 2015 Weekly
(Here is your sample weekly overview chart)
Note: Always…. copy paste this into word or email just in case something happens with the blog server and we lose it or you lose it while typing it straight into the blog comments for whatever reason. It’s better to be safe and type it up first then copy it over. (If you need help with this please let me know)
- Name Your Store ie: Zehrs
- Total Coupons Used: $
- Total Out Of Pocket: $
Do the above for each receipt you have then copy the template below and paste it to the bottom of your shop so we can see your results.
Points Overview (add any other sections you need to show us your savings)
- Total Grocery Budget for the Month: $
- Total Grocery Budget with any carry-overs $
- Total Gift Cards used to date: $
- Total Rewards Points redeemed this week: $
- Total Rewards Points used to date: $
- PC Points Plus Earned to date:
- Scanning Code of Practice (SCOP) to date $
Coupon Apps (add any other apps you use to save money)
- Snap Groupon to date: $
- Zweet to date: $
- Cart Smart to date: $
- Checkout51 to date: $
- Save.ca to date: $
GROCERY SHOP THIS WEEK (add any other sections you need to show expenses and savings)
- Stockpile budget 2015 ($25.00): $
- Stockpile budget used to date: $
- Total coupons used this week: $
- Total coupons used to date: $
- Total in-store discounts this week: $
- Total in-store discounts to date: $
- Total spent this week: $
- Total spent so far this month: $
- Total over/Under spend this shop: $
- Total over/Under spend for the month: $
- Total left to spend for the month: $
- Total Spent To Date 2015: (does not include stockpile budget) Jan $
Weekly Overview (your final thoughts):
I’m not looking for a champion saver here as this is not a competition among each other. This challenge is for you and what you do with it affects your life not mine.
I hope you take part and learn more about where your money goes each month. Post some savings tips along the way to help your fellow savers, that’s the best way to learn!
**Please only post one shop per week with all the details necessary as outlined above or simply copy my layout from my weekly grocery game post**
Look on the sidebar of my blog where I have the CATEGORIES and you will see the category The Grocery Game. Click on that and you will be able to find the week and month you are looking for to post your shop. If you don’t see the week there that mean’s I haven’t posted it yet but I aim to have it posted by Every Tuesday!
Check out my Free Downloadable tools for Meal Plans, Freezer Inventory Lists plus download the Canadian Budget Binder Budget Spreadsheet FREE!!
Most of all I want all of my fans to have FUN and Motivate each other to stick to the Grocery Budget! If you have any questions, concerns or suggestions at all please don’t hesitate to get in touch with me.
Photo Credit: 123RF.com