BRITISH SAUSAGE ROLLS: A HEARTY MEAL ROLLED UP INTO ONE
There’s nothing more comforting than Classic British Sausage Rolls.
If you are looking for savoury finger food for the holidays or any gathering these sausage rolls are delicious, easy to make and freeze well.
The best part is they won’t bust your grocery budget and look like you put lots of effort into them.
These British Sausage Rolls are so easy to make you won’t ever want to spend money in your grocery budget on over-priced frozen store-bought finger food again.
This sausage rolls recipe always takes me back to the time of year where they are a staple at almost all parties and social gatherings in our family.
Now that the Christmas holiday is right around the corner it’s crucial that I plan my grocery shops to include all of the staples to make my treats and appetizers.
Our house is always busy at Christmas and New Year’s as I’m sure it is for most families and everyone has come to expect my decadent treats as well as my savoury appetizers like these sausage rolls.
It’s important for me to create lots of finger food recipes so there is always something ready for our guests to munch on.
There’s never a dull moment in our household.
Memories Of British Sausage Rolls
Memories of gorgeous sausage rolls that are divine hot out of the oven date back from when I was a young child watching my mum and dad in the kitchen.
My dad’s task was always carving the turkey and making the appetizers especially for our New Year’s bash (Hogmanay).
I always remember dad making these little bite-size sausage rolls that seem to just disappear as soon as they were laid out on the table.
He was so precise in how the sausage rolls had to look and taste and now I’m the same way.
I make these flaky sausage rolls but family size portions to eat throughout the year but I add just a bit of heat to give an extra boost for my holiday recipe.
Sometimes I make a puff-pastry as my dad did but if you don’t have the time there’s nothing wrong with buying frozen puff pastry from the grocery store.
It’s inexpensive and will save you time which is something many of us don’t have come November and December.
These sausage rolls are ideal for making ahead and freezing once cooked.
The best part about these little gems is that you will always have something quick to place on a baking sheet to re-heat for all those guests to enjoy with their favourite beverages.
How To Make British Sausage Rolls
- Makes 12 large or 24 small
- Cook time: 20mins
- Prep Time 10mins
- Oven Temp 200oC/390oF
- 1 packet sausage meat
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 packet of Tenderflake puff pastry or homemade pastry
- 1 cup real bacon bits (fry up some bacon 1/2lb and break into bits)
- 1/4 cup milk or 1 egg whisked for glaze
- Mix together the sausage meat, spices, and salt until they are well combined
- Cook bacon and break into bits
- Add bacon to mixture and stir well
- Roll out puff pastry until about 1inch thick
- Place half of the mixture into the centre of the pastry and spread out slightly
- Glaze the outer rim of the pastry with milk then roll up the pastry
- Repeat for the other half of the pastry
- Cut into size required. Glaze with either egg or milk
- Place in the oven.
- Once cooked either serve immediately or let them cool.
Believe you me once these British Sausage Rolls rolls come out they will be gone in a flash!
Don’t rush around this holiday make these ahead of time so you can sit back and enjoy the festivities with your friends and loved ones.
Are You New To Canadian Budget Binder?
- Follow Me on Social Media by clicking any of the links below.
- Don’t forget to Subscribe to the blog so you get my daily email.
- If you need to get in touch with me the best way is on Facebook.
- Get every recipe from Canadian Budget Binder> Check out my new Free Recipe Index
- If you like FREE then click this link for my FREE Excel Budget Spreadsheet and all my Free Money Saving Lists!
- Check out my new Ultimate Grocery Shopping Guide