Homemade Cookies Baked With Love
You can’t go wrong with chocolate chip cookies with walnuts and a hot cup of tea. I’m a big fan of cookies so I tend to make them often over cakes since I’m the only one who eats them. That and cookies are dead easy to make and don’t cost as much as buying them from the bakery. You can’t compare homemade cookies to bagged cookies either.
Growing up my mum made cookies (biscuits) often because she didn’t fancy buying them from the grocery store. My mum used to make cookie baskets for her friends when she went to visit for tea and that was her way of saying thanks for having her and dad over for a cuppa.
Saying that I can tuck into a pack of McVities Milk Chocolate Hobnobs any day of the week… (sorry mum) but to buy them in Canada costs a mere fortune so I’ll have to wait until we go back to the UK so I can load up on some good eats. I joke with my sister that we are going to hang outin the grocery store just to pick out all the foods I miss and she thinks it’s hilarious. It’s one of those things where you don’t know what you’ve got until it’s gone sorta of thing.
Easy to make cookies
So, being the guy who loves to cook once in a while I put on the bakers hat to whip up a special treat for myself. When I make any type of cookies I always tend to fancy the thicker cookie. I don’t know what it is about thin, crispy cookies but they don’t give me as much pleasure as a thick cookie.
When I bite into a homemade cookie I want to sink my teeth into it. I want to taste the chocolate slide through my teeth as I bite down then melt in my mouth. The walnuts in this chocolate chip walnut cookie I will share with you today lend just the right amount of crunch to make these a cookie that you shouldn’t be shy about making any time of year. Perfect any time of day these easy to make cookies won’t last long at all.
One thing I like about making any type of cookie is that it’s not rocket science. Honestly I find cookies simple to make and there really aren’t many ingredients for cookies that are unfamiliar to the average household pantry unless you get into sophisticated gourmet cookie recipes but we won’t do that here. I’m not so much into the cookie decorating like Nicola is as you will see with her Easter Shortbread recipe because cookie decorating is an art and a skill that I just don’t have.
You will notice in today’s recipe the ingredient list is straight forward and will produce a thick, soft chocolate chip walnut cookie provided you don’t overcook the cookie. I always remove my cookies a minute or two early and let them finish baking on the tray. That is my cookie secret to making soft cookies because many people just cook them for far too long and they get hard and crispy which I don’t care for. If you do, then knock yourself out and cook em until you get the crunch you desire.
Some other CBB cookie recipes (check out my full recipe index for all CBB recipes in one easy to read spot)
- The Cowboy Quickie
- The 5 Ingredient Simple Peanut Butter Cookie
- Chocolate Chewy Big Bites
- Nicola’s Easy Shortbread Cookies
- Halloween Witch Finger Cookies
Chocolate Chip Walnut Cookies
- 1 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1/2 cup softened butter
- 1 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups of semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 cups of chopped walnuts
- In your stand mixer or bowl add in your butter, white and brown sugar, vanilla and eggs and mix until combined.
- Add in your flour, salt and baking powder then mix
- Add in your nuts and chocolate chips and mix until combined
- With a spoon drop a golf ball size amount onto an ungreased baking sheet
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 5-7 minutes or just until the top looks brown (do not overcook)
- Remove from oven, let stand on cookie sheet for a minute or 2 then transfer to a wire rack to cool
- Yield 2 dozen cookies (depending on how big you make them 🙂
Enjoy your chunky chocolate chip walnut cookies with a tall glass of cold milk or any hot beverage you enjoy.
What are some of your favourite cookie recipes?
Are you NEW to Canadian Budget Binder?
- Follow Me on Social Media: Twitter, Facebook , Pinterest , StumbleUpon, Reddit and Google+
- Plus! Don’t forget to Subscribe to the blog so you get my daily email.
- If you need to get in touch with me the best way is on Facebook.
- Check out my NEW RECIPE INDEX on the home page for an all-exclusive recipe list of all CBB recipes.
- Mr.CBB’s crispy baked avocado fries with dip (canadianbudgetbinder.com)
- How to motivate picky eaters in your family (canadianbudgetbinder.com)
- Cherry ricotta cheese turnovers with marshmallow cream (canadianbudgetbinder.com)
- Huevos Rancheros Lil’ Suburban Homestead Style (lilsuburbanhomestead.com)