Say Good-Bye To The Can And Hello To Homemade Tomato Soup
Homemade Cherry Tomato Soup with Double Brie Grilled Cheese doesn’t get any better sounding and tastes as good as the photo suggests.
Ooey, gooey cheesy goodness wrapped around organic cherry tomato soup with fresh garlic, chives, green pepper, cabbage, and a secret ingredient.
As the weather turns from hot and sticky to brisk and cold a piping hot pot of soup will always take the chill away.
There’s something about soup that makes people smile especially when it is homemade.
Although we like using the crock-pot to make homemade soup sometimes it’s faster to use the stove-top which is how this cherry tomato soup went down.
Organic Garden Harvest
You may or may not know from recent blog posts that we’ve dealt with a family emergency that left us to tend to a large garden that was ready to be harvested.
It was shocking to see just how many tomatoes were ready to eat and how many had fallen.
Related: Types of Cherry Tomatoes in Ontario
Not only tomatoes either.
A bounty of zucchini, eggplant, figs, tomatoes, heirloom tomatoes, yellow tomatoes, yellow cherry tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, beans, Brussel sprouts, green peppers, cabbage, long green peppers, garlic, pears, apples, plums, grapes, fennel, Swiss chard was ready to be picked.
Sounds exhausting and it was.
My in-laws like to garden as a hobby and although there are only two of them in the house they grow enough for a neighbourhood or two.
When you have amazing skills like my father-in-law he takes pride in sharing his crop with family and friends.
He could sell his produce but he’s not about money these days, it’s about living and sharing.
We didn’t want to waste another minute so we started the process of picking tomatoes which took us about two days.
Our little guy even joined in and was super excited to pick tomatoes and load them into his harvesting truck.
I’m a firm believer that we should teach our children about gardening from a young age so they understand sustainable living and where their food is coming from.
After picking as much as possible we shared the harvest with a few of our friends and our hairdresser who loves eggplant.
Mrs. CBB’s father was happy that people were able to eat the produce rather than let it all sink back into the earth.
Although we didn’t catch everything in the time it was certainly fulfilling to carry on the tasks that he takes to heart so dearly.
Fresh Tomato Soup Recipe
Now we’re home with a bazillion tomatoes and cherry tomatoes and have to find time to sort them out.
There was no possible way that we could eat them all in time so I prepped and froze lots of tomatoes in freezer bags for future meals.
With over 200 cherry tomatoes on our counter, we realized that there were only so many tomato salads we could eat before we’d had enough.
Mrs. CBB and I went ahead and created an easy pot of homemade cherry tomato soup filled with wonderful herbs, luscious cream and it’s keto-friendly.
That means for all the low-carb eaters this soup is catering to you as well.
How To Prepare Tomato Soup
One of our pet peeves when it comes to homemade cherry tomato soup or any type of tomatoes we’ve used is that we cannot stand if it tastes like a pot of pasta sauce.
The mere thought of eating a bowl of tomato sauce is not so appetizing unless it’s filled with mince and I have a loaf of fresh garlic bread.
This pot of cherry tomato soup has a secret ingredient consisting of cloves that we added to a tea leaf dipper (we didn’t have cheesecloth) and allowed to simmer in the pot.
Once the soup was done we removed the leaf dipper and empty the cloves out.
We also added organic cabbage, green pepper, garlic and chives to the pot followed by a butter rue with whipping cream and coconut flour (or 10% cream is fine).
If you don’t have homemade chicken stock available just use the chicken bouillon cubes as we did.
You’ll need about 8 cups of chicken broth and a large pot
How To Make Double-Brie Grilled Cheese
What a huge difference in flavour for cherry tomato soup and perfect for the creamy double brie grilled cheese I was about to make to dip into it.
I went with brie because it’s a mellow cheese that would not steal the main show.
To make the double brie grilled cheese simply butter two sides of bread *your choice of bread).
Place one of the butter sides down in the frying pan or grill on medium heat, add a few slices of cold brie and then add the remaining slice of bread with butter.
Keep the butter side up.
Flip the sandwich when it gets brown and toasty on one side.
Only make this sandwich once the soup is done and plated to enjoy the full gooey brie effect.
The time-consuming part was slicing the cherry tomatoes however if you don’t have time just toss them inside whole.
It won’t make a difference once you get out the hand-mixer and blend everything up in the end.
In less than an hour, we had a gorgeous red cherry tomato soup pot waiting to be eaten up with lots of left-overs which we are huge fans of when soup is on the menu.
Let’s do this!
How to make Cherry Tomato Soup
- 8 cups sliced cherry tomatoes
- 2 cups shredded green cabbage
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 small green pepper chopped fine
- 8 cups of chicken broth
- ½ cup minced chives
- 2 teaspoons salt *add as needed
- 1 teaspoon pepper *add as needed
- 6 cloves wrapped in cheesecloth or a tea steeper spoon
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon sugar substitute or granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Rue ingredients
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons whipping cream or cream
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- In a large pot add the oil, green peppers and garlic to saute then add the shredded cabbage and stir until wilted about 5 minutes, add your sliced cherry tomatoes to combine about 1 minute.
- Add your chicken stock to the pot
- Add salt and pepper as needed
- Add cheesecloth of cloves or filled in a tea leaf spoon and sat in the pot
- Add turmeric, sugar and Worcestershire sauce
- Let boil on high for 15 minutes then lower to 7 or 8 on the dial and cook for another 15 minutes
- Remove pot from the stove, remove cheesecloth or tea leaf spoon of cloves.
- Using a hand blender - blend until smooth 3 minutes
- Meanwhile, in another pot you will make a rue with the butter, coconut flour and whipping cream by melting the butter, adding the flour and whipping cream. Stir until combined and turning a brown colour from the butter.
- Slowly add a few ladles of the soup into the rue and stir then pour this into the big soup pot with the rest of the soup and mix.
- Serve hot or cold with grilled cheese a classic
Making homemade cherry tomato soup is so easy you’ll never go back to a can of soup again.
Once you make this soup you can freeze it or store in mason jars in the refrigerator.
We usually eat soup every day once we have some ready so we keep it in a container ready to go with a side dish.
If you don’t have money to buy organic produce or have a garden regular tomatoes work fine as well.
If you don’t have cherry tomatoes you can substitute regular tomatoes. I’d probably aim for 8 or 9 medium-sized tomatoes.
Discussion Question: What type of sandwich would you pair with this cherry tomato soup?
Per recipe: 20.90 Net Carbs or less than 2 Net Carbs each cup- Atkins Carb Counter
Support Canadian Budget Binder
Please share this recipe with your friends if you think they might like it and please leave a review and tell me what you think.
You can also pin the recipe on Pinterest and share it on just about every social media outlet.
Enter your email address on the home page to SUBSCRIBE to my blog.
Once you subscribe you will receive an email from me immediately which you need to open and approve the subscription in order to start receiving my daily blog post.
Note: Check your Junk Mail if you don’t see it or email me to check into your subscription status.
If you like FREE then click this link for my FREE Excel Budget Spreadsheet and lists.
- Low Carb baked stuffed zucchini roll
- 4-Ingredient British Sponge Cake
- The only low carb bread you will need
- Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups (Low-Carb, Keto)
- Cauliflower mash beef pie (Low-Carb, Keto)
- Chocolate Avocado Pudding (Low-Carb)
- Crispy Bacon Fried Lupini Beans Low Carb