This was the first time I have ever tried a Fathead Italian Meatball Pizza, and it was awesome.
Making Fathead dough is easy to whip up in minutes which is the great part of this recipe.
You can change the dough to pizza dough if you don’t like fathead dough, but it will take longer.
If you do use real pizza dough you could make it before you go to bed so it’s ready the next morning.
Let’s get cooking to show you how to make this meatball pizza that you can add your favourite toppings to.
If you want to cut the carbs in your diet, opt for low-carb or keto recipes that taste just as delicious as their carby friend.
It may seem that there are many steps involved but keep in mind this is a large recipe.
Time to make some Italian Fathead Meatball pizza! Let’s go.
How To Make Fathead Dough
I wrote about it in my Keto Bagels recipe post if you’re not familiar with fathead dough.
It’s quite fascinating how the fathead dough comes together and forms a delicious pizza crust.
If it’s been a while since you’ve had an authentic Italian pizza, you will love this recipe.
Ingredients for Fathead Dough
- 2 1/2 cups of shredded pizza mozzarella
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 tablespoon double-action gluten-free baking powder
- 1/2 brick cream cheese softened 4 oz
- 2 cups of Almond Flour
How To Make Fathead Italian Meatball Pizza (Keto)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or prep your pizza stone for the oven
- In a large bowl add your dry ingredients then mix
- Using a medium bowl crack your eggs and beat them.
- In a microwave-safe, medium-sized bowl add the shredded mozzarella cheese and softened cream cheese cubeMicrowave the cheese mixture on high until melted completely for about 2 minutes,
- Start by mixing the cheese up while it’s hot and pouring it into the dry mixture bowl.
- Slowly start adding the eggs and mixing quickly until you form a dough ball
- Move the ball to a parchment covered sheet pan and let sit covered for 5 minutes
- Knead the dough until everything is combined and shape into a square or round pizza crust
- Poke holes in the top and bake it for 10 minutes until golden brown but keep an eye on it.
- Remove and let cool so you can add your toppings
How To Make Italian Meatballs And Sauce
How To Make Italian Keto Meatballs
- 1/2 pound of Medium Ground Beef and half pound of Ground Pork Mince
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tbsp dry or fresh basil
- 2 tbsps dry parsley or 1/2 cup of fresh parsley
- 1 tbsp dry or fresh oregano
- 2 heaping tbsps ground flax-seed
- 1 tsp salt
- Fresh ground black pepper Optional use as much as you like 1teaspoon is ideal
- 1 cup crushed pork rinds
- 2 cloves of minced garlic
- 1 medium onion minced
- 1 cup grated fresh parmigiano Regianno
Instructions For Making Italian Keto Meatballs
- Add all of the ingredients to a bowl and mix just until combined. Never mix too much or your meatballs will be tough.
- Roll into golf ball size meatballs and set on a parchment lined tray
- Add to the pot of Italian tomato sauce
- Cook the raw meatballs in the sauce on medium heat for 2 hours or use your crockpot or instant pot.
How To Make Italian Sauce For Pizza or Pasta
- 2 x large cans of crushed tomatoes, or jarred tomatoes from your garden
- 1 x can or half-tube of tomato paste
- 3 x stalks of celery chopped into small pieces
- 1 head of garlic peeled and chopped (use at your discretion)
- Medium one onion chopped and minced
- Dry Oregano 2 tablespoons
- Bay Leaf x 2
- Dry Basil 2 tablespoons
- Fresh Bunch of Basil chopped or 2 homemade basil cubes (optional if using dry)
- Paprika 1 teaspoon
- Salt 1 teaspoon adjust as needed.
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon monk-fruit or another keto-approved sugar substitute)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups of cold water
Add extra virgin olive oil, minced garlic, onion, and the rest of the dry ingredients.
Sautee it for two minutes, then add the two cans of tomatoes and one can of tomato paste
Let it cook for one hour on medium heat, then drop the raw meatballs inside.
Cook for one hour on medium heat to allow the meatballs to cook fully.
Push the meatballs down into the sauce so they are not hanging out on the top of the pot.
Once finished, you can start to make your Fathead dough.
TIP: Typically, I make the sauce and meatballs ahead of time to save time.
You will likely have extra meatballs and sauce left unless you feed eight people.
Put any leftovers into a container once cooled and into the freezer for up to 3 months.
I enjoy batch cooking for this reason because the next time I need it, ta-da it’s ready to be defrosted.
Tip: Remove the bay leaves from the sauce once they are no longer needed.
Additional Toppings For Your Meatball Pizza
You can add just about any toppings to your meatball pizza.
I often find if you stick to the basics, it works best.
If any of the extra ingredients could make your fathead dough soggy, be aware of that.
Below is what I might add to the meatball pizza.
- Ricotta cheese found at any grocery store
- Red, yellow or green peppers
- Bacon Pieces
- Extra Mozzarella (cheese is life)
- Green or black olives
Once everything is done cooking, you can put your meatball pizza together.
On the pre-baked fathead dough, add sauce all around the pizza base.
I add extra sauce because I love loads of toppings which I admittedly double,
When putting the meatballs on top of the sauce, cut them in half to make them easier to eat.
I’d say three to four meatballs is enough for one fathead meatball pizza.
Cover the meatball pizza with 1 cup of shredded mozzarella, and you can add Parmigiano Reggiano cheese too.
How To Make Italian Fathead Meatball Pizza
Get My Exclusive Free Emergency Binder Printables
Share this recipe with your friends if you think they might like it, and please leave a review and tell me what you think.
Subscribe to CBB and get my exclusive Emergency Binder Printables A MUST Have.
If you like FREE, click this link for my FREE Excel Budget Spreadsheet and lists.
You’ll Find Hundreds Of CBB Recipes
- Low Carb/Keto baked stuffed zucchini roll
- Keto Cookies- Crunchy Chocolate Biscotti
- The only low carb/Keto bread you will need
- Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups (Low-Carb, Keto)
- Cauliflower mash beef pie (Low-Carb, Keto)
- Chocolate Avocado Pudding (Low-Carb, Keto)
- Crispy Bacon Fried Lupini Beans Low Carb/Keto
Subscribe To the Canadian Budget Binder And Get My Exclusive CBB Emergency Binder FREE!