Make Any Variety Of Keto Bagels With One Simple Recipe
You won’t believe that there are ONLY 6 ingredients in these low carb bagels which by the way are also gluten-free and keto-friendly with 1.5 net carbs each.
Soften the butter, cue the cream cheese, get the sugar-free jam ready and let the drooling begin. (that’s how Mrs. CBB explained it to me)
Keto Bagel Essentials
Every low carb kitchen with a keto stocked pantry will already have these few ingredients so that making this recipe is even easier.
If not, stock up because you’ll need all the wonderful products that bring keto recipes together along with plenty of protein and vegetables.
If you’ve wanted to satisfy that bread craving you’ve had but without all the carbs you won’t want to miss this recipe for gourmet keto low carb bagels.
We had lots of fun making these and consider this recipe one of the best low carb bagel recipes thus far.
Why are these called Gourmet Keto/ Low Carb Bagels?
Why not? I can promise you that once you make this recipe for low carb bagels you won’t turn back.
These low carb bagels are hand-made in your kitchen and anything that comes from a home chef is gourmet in my books.
We’ve been searching for the best keto dough using almond flour that we could use for not just one recipe, but many.
Generally speaking most dough recipes in the keto world are made with almond flour, coconut flour, or a mixture of both.
Fat-Head Dough Origin
Some home chefs may add in other ingredients such as cauliflower, flax-seed, psyllium husk powder, protein powder to increase the fiber.
What is Fat-head dough?
Mrs. CBB and I have tried them all but just recently came across this amazing dough which we found at cookyscreations.blogspot.com which many keto foodies know as ‘Fat Head dough’ or ‘Fathead dough’.
You can find a similar version based on cookyscreations over at the Fat Head movie blog called Faux Carb Pizza.
Any time we’ve tested or created our keto-friendly, low carb dough for bagels, pretzels, or pizza we were always met with the same results.
Each recipe was nothing short of delicious and crispy from the oven and dense when cold.
If you want the best experience eating fat head dough of any description you must eat it hot from the oven.
The next best option is to toast the keto bagels. We like to double toast them with butter, cream cheese, and homemade sugar-free strawberry chia seed jam.
Although traditional fat head low carb pizza dough announced as the “Holy Grail” for the keto-lifestyle we tweaked the recipe three times in hopes of finding the fathead dough that would make the best low carb bagels.
This simple fat-head low-carb, keto-friendly dough can also be used to make:
- Low Carb/ Keto Pretzels
- Low Carb/ Keto Pizza Crust
- Low Carb/Keto Pizza Sticks
- Low Carb/Keto Pizza Buns
- Low Carb/Keto Cinnamon rolls or buns
- Anything that requires a low carb/Keto dough
We’ve created recipes for all the above using our version of fathead dough many of which are already posted on the blog.
You’ll find all of our low-carb and Keto recipes in our Free Recipe Depot Index on the blog.
Popular Low Carb Bagels (Keto Bagels)
Once you have the base low carb dough for your keto bagels you can pretty much create any flavour bagel you like in keeping with a sugar-free, keto diet.
Even if the keto lifestyle is not on your radar like me (food tester) anything low carb is worth trying.
I adore these low carb bagels and I don’t get that heavy feeling in my stomach like I would with traditional bagels.
This is why I aim to cut back on the gluten and work to create keto-friendly, sugar-free recipes for our family.
How To Make Everything Bagel Spice Mix
Making your own Everything But The Bagel seasoning is dead-easy to do and at a fraction of the price.
A small bottle of this at Marshall’s or Winners in Canada will cost you over $6.
A trip to one of the cheapest grocery stores in Canada and you can make a few bottles for a few more dollars.
How to make Everything But The Bagel Seasoning
In a bowl mix the following ingredients and store them in an air-tight jar.
- 3 Tablespoons White Sesame Seeds
- 3 Tablespoons Black Poppyseeds
- 2 Tablespoons of Minced, Flaked or Powdered Onion
- 2 Tablespoons of Minced, Dried, or Powdered Garlic
- 1-2 teaspoons Pink Himalayan salt (your taste)
Flavour Variations Of Keto Bagels
Various Flavour profiles of low-carb bagels (Keto Bagels)
- Cinnamon low carb bagels (Keto) are delicious when you want a sweeter bagel
- Plain low carb bagels are best as you can add sweet or savory to them which gives you options or make bagel sandwich.
- We’ve even made grilled cheese with a plain bagel! Oh Yes, We Did.
- Everything low carb bagels using a mix of seasonings- garlic powder, onion powder, sesame seeds, poppy seeds
- Poppy Seed low carb bagels are sprinkled liberally with poppy seeds before baking.
- Sesame low carb bagels – We bought Trader Joe’s Everything but the Bagel Sesame Seasoning Blend (Pack of 2) from Amazon Canada which you’ll only hear good things about as it’s delicious.
- Dill Parmesan Keto Bagels we added 1 cup chopped fresh dill and 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- Chocolate Chip Keto Bagels add 1 cup of Krisda or Lily’s sugar-free chocolate chips to the fat-head bagel dough.
- Sundried Tomato Keto Bagels add 1/2 cup of the finely chopped sundried tomato to the fathead dough and mix.
- Alternatively, if you won’t want to purchase the seasoning you could sprinkle sesame seeds on top of the bagels once baked.
Making CBB Keto Dough
Our master low carb dough recipe offers less almond flour, more mozzarella cheese, Bob’s Red Mill Xanthan Gum, and a couple of technique changes.
Traditional bagels are boiled, seasoned then baked in the oven until golden brown.
I’ve got it in my head to try this concept next with our keto dough to see if it holds up in the water before baking. For now, this low carb dough recipe satisfies that bread craving.
One of the changes we made to the original recipe was to lower the amount of almond flour in the recipe because we found some dough recipes we tested to be too dry.
By eliminating some of the almond flour you also cut back on the number of carbs.
We also allowed the bagels to rest for 5 minutes before putting an egg white wash over before sprinkling our seasoning.
You can find almond flour at Costco Canada for $17.99 for 1.36kg or another great brand is Yupik Almond Powder (Blanched), 1Kg.
You can also find gluten-free Bob’s Red Mill Baking Powder, 453 gm to be reasonably priced online or in the shops.
The best way to bake the bagels is on a pizza stone or a parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
We also experimented with making low carb bagels in a donut pan which turned out lovely and uniform.
- Optional: Cinnamon Bagels add 1 tablespoon cinnamon to the dry ingredients bowl
- 2 1/2 cups of shredded pizza mozzarella
- 3 large eggs (separate whites and yolk of one egg and add the extra yolk to the bowl with the 2 large eggs) The whites are for coating the top of the bagel before adding seasoning.
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 tablespoon double-action gluten-free baking powder
- 1/2 brick cream cheese softened 4 oz
- 2 cups of Almond Flour (not Almond meal)
- Optional toppings: sesame seeds, poppy seeds, cheese, etc.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or prep your pizza stone for the oven
- In a large bowl add your dry ingredients then mix
- In a medium bowl crack your eggs and beat them.
- In microwave-safe, medium-sized bowl add the shredded mozzarella cheese and softened cream cheese cubes.
- Microwave the cheese mixture on high until melted completely for about 2 minutes.
- Move fast
- Start by mixing the cheese up while it’s hot and pouring it into the dry mixture bowl.
- Slowly start adding the eggs and mixing quickly until you form a dough ball
- You must mix this dough thoroughly so you don’t see any cream cheese blotches throughout.
- Let rest in the bowl for 5 minutes covered with a tea-towel and sat on your stove-top or counter-top where it’s warm.
- Cut the dough into 6 triangles while inside the bowl.
- Take one ball of dough at a time, roll on your cutting board into a ball then stick your finger into the middle to make a hole. If you have a fancy tool to cut out the centre such as a cannoli tube or donut hole cutter that would work too. You can also roll the dough out and connect both ends into a circle with a hole.
- Brush each bagel one at a time with egg whites and dip or sprinkle your topping on top before baking.
- Set each bagel on your baking sheet or stone and bake for 6 mins at 400 degrees.
- Remove from oven and enjoy them hot or cold.
If you don’t plan to eat your low carb bagels right away remember that the next day you will have to toast them if you want that crunchy exterior again.
We toast them whole or you can cut them in half before toasting.
They aren’t as thick as a traditional bagel once they’ve had time to cool fully but big enough to fit in a toaster.
Either way, these low carb bagels make a great snack and an even better sandwich loaded with your favourite toppings!
Enjoy and tell me what you think of our recipe!
Help Support Canadian Budget Binder
Keto Bagel Nutritional Info:
One bagel : = 1.5 net carbs each. Used Atkins Carb Counter but remember I’m just a blogger and not a nutritionist so always do your macro counts.
Share this recipe with your friends if you think they might like it and please leave a review and tell me what you think.
If you like FREE then click this link for my FREE Excel Budget Spreadsheet and lists.
- Low Carb/Keto baked stuffed zucchini roll
- Keto Cookies- Crunchy Chocolate Biscotti
- The only low carb/Keto bread you will need
- Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups (Low-Carb, Keto)
- Cauliflower mash beef pie (Low-Carb, Keto)
- Chocolate Avocado Pudding (Low-Carb, Keto)
- Crispy Bacon Fried Lupini Beans Low Carb/Keto