Well it’s on cold days like these that we all need something warm for the soul and easy to prepare in the kitchen.
Today I am going to make my creamy chicken pot pie for all of you.
This chicken pot pie is simple to put together and really good for using up those scraps of chicken or endless chicken drumsticks that seem to linger at the bottom of the freezer.
That’s what I am using today the drumsticks that managed to sneak past me and make their way to the bottom of the freezer.
With any homemade pot pie you can use whatever protein you like as you don’t need to use just chicken.
The drumsticks weren’t completely defrosted but enough to be put into the oven to cook off until browned through.
I will also keep the bones and skin and make some chicken stock from them so I always have it on hand. Having chicken stock on hand is always something hand for every pantry. Besides, chicken stock is so easy to make. Left over chicken bones and skin, some juices out of the bottom of the pan and veggies that’s just about on the way out.
Today for my chicken pot pie I’ll be using spring onion tops that I keep in the freezer, onion halved with the skin on, a carrot, celery, some herbs, salt and pepper. Just add enough water to cover the bones.
I usually simmer the stock for a good 3-4 hours on low or overnight. Once I let the chicken stock cool I drain the liquid and discard everything else. I put the homemade chicken stock into containers then into the freezer they go. Now when you want to make soup you have an extremely flavourful chicken stock to use as your base.
I have used this chicken pot pie recipe for many things from filling voluvaunts or by adding ham to make a bigger meat dish to thinning it down adding more vegetable and calling it soup. The list goes on and on so just use your imagination and get creative.
I made this chicken pot pie using puff pastry for this recipe but if you have time and want to make an easy chicken pot pie pastry you can easily use the pastry recipe from my mincemeat pie pastry recipe.
This homemade chicken pot pie recipe is just another basic recipe that can be turned around at the last- minute to make a great meal for any occasion.
- 1 pack chicken drumsticks (15) - You can use cooked chicken around 11/2 lbs or 2 chicken breasts
- 1 stock cube (if using own chicken stock use 1 cup)
- 2 cups warm milk
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 pack puff pastry
- Vegetables optional
- Cook drumsticks in the oven for 45 minutes or until fully cooked.
- Once cooked clean all the meat off the bones. (set skin and bones aside to make stock)
- Chop up vegetables if you are adding any.
- Add olive oil and butter to the pan and put onto high
- Place chicken into pan, brown slightly
- Mix milk, stock cube and cornstarch together and add to the chicken.
- Bring to the boil and stir until thickened.
- Turn heat down and let simmer. Add vegetables (optional)
- Note: If you find sauce to runny just add a bit more cornstarch. Vice-versa if it's too thick add more milk.
- Empty pan into pie dish
- Roll out dough so that it overlaps pie dish
- Note: You can add an inside crust to pie dish see link below. You need to eliminate the sugar and add ½ teaspoon of salt https://canadianbudgetbinder.com/2013/12/22/double-crust-mincemeat-pies-part-2/
- Carefully place the pastry over your dish and cut any excess away from the side. Any spare bits of pastry can be used to decorate pie.
- Glaze your pie with some milk and place in the oven for 30 minutes or until the pastry has puffed and turned golden brown.
- There you have it, a wonderful pie that can be simple
There you have it, a wonderful chicken pot pie that can be simple but elegant for any lunch or dinner.
Tip: Indulgence in this recipe is to skip on the milk and add a can of condensed milk and cream to
make it even richer for those of us who don’t care about the calories.
Are You New To Canadian Budget Binder?
- Follow Me on Social Media: Twitter, Facebook , Pinterest , Stumble Upon, Reddit and Google+
- Don’t forget to Subscribe to the blog so you get my daily email.
- If you need to get in touch with me the best way is on Facebook.
- Check out my new Free Recipe Index
- If you like FREE then click this link for my FREE Excel Budget Spreadsheet and all my Free Money Saving Lists!
- Check out my new Free Recipe Index
- Frosty Christmas Pudding
- Famous Sloppy Joes
- Men who cook: Do women find them sexy?
- An organized kitchen: My time, my money, my happiness
- Mum’s British Lemon Fridge Cake
- Lemon Fridge Cake
- Sticky meringue roulade with honey cream stuffed with cranberries and raspberries
- Crustless Quiche