I was going to BBQ some burgers last night but time out with the boys at the gym brought me back a bit late to turn out my burger recipe. What I do is change it up by turning my lean beef into Mr. CBB’s famous Sloppy Joe’s. The wife and our mates just love these and I also make them when I’m in a pinch just like tonight.
The recipe makes 8 Sloppy Joe’s and trust me they will be gone especially if you have hungry mates like I did last night! The cost to make this recipe is around $0.95 each Sloppy Joe and I was on the top end with prices. This could even be much more frugal than it seems!
So here we go……
Total Time start to finish under 30 minutes!
- Large frying pan
8 fresh Hamburger Buns or any Round Bun
- 1 can of Tomato paste 6 ounces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 table spoons white distilled vinegar
- 1 table spoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 teaspoon of dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon dry oregano
- 1 teaspoon of dry basil
- 1/2 cup of Tomato Ketchup
- 3/4 cup of water
- 2 yellow onions chopped
- 1 large green pepper chopped ( or any colour you like)
- 4 cloves of garlic chopped fine
- 4 tablespoons of brown sugar packed
- 1lb of Lean Beef ( or whichever you prefer can be chicken or turkey etc)
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
How to put it all together!
In the frying pan add a bit of olive oil if you are using a very lean beef just to help it brown for about 5 minutes on medium heat. Then add in the onions, garlic and green peppers you chopped earlier and saute for 5 mins or until the meat is no longer pink.
Add in the water and can of tomato paste and stir until dissolved in the frying pan.
Then add in the vinegar,Worcestershire Sauce and ketchup then stir. Once that is all mixed in add in all the spices including the brown sugar and let it simmer on low for about 10 minutes so the flavours have some time to concentrate and the liquid thickens up.
Once they are done scoop some inside of a fresh bun and enjoy!
You can pair this with a nice side salad and a BEER!
Cheers Enjoy Folks,
- Mr. CBB’s Fudgy Brownies $5 a Pan
- Mr. CBB’s Easter Dinner for 8 in the Crockpot $1.25 a plate
- Mr. CBB’s Pasta Frittata Pie with Spciy Italian Sausage $9.00
There’s loads more Frugal Recipes on my blog so go check them out! If you try them let me know what you think!
All pictures copyright- CanadianBudgetBinder