KETO CRISPY BAKED CHICKEN WINGS AT HOME ARE SO EASY TO MAKE
The best-baked chicken wings are here and I’m not the one who eats them in our house, it’s my wife who follows a keto diet.
We used to buy deep-fried Chinese chicken wings when we’d order Chinese takeaway or wings with pizza but they do not compare to oven-baked chicken wings.
Once my wife started the ketogenic diet there was no more buying wings on our date nights it was home-baked chicken wings.
If you follow me on Facebook you’ll know I’m not a huge fan of chicken wings but I will eat them on occasion.
Best Ways To Cook Chicken Wings
When we were creating this wing recipe it was then I realized how different the tastes of chicken wings change based on cooking methods.
Personally, I’m all for the baked chicken wings because there is less grease and you get to control what fats you cook them in.
When you buy chicken wings from a fast-food joint or restaurant although you may believe they are keto-friendly you don’t know what fat they use to deep-fry them.
Not many restaurants offer baked chicken wings simply because they far too long to cook when they need to make money fast.
Besides, how long are you willing to sit in a restaurant or wait for pickup or delivery when you want the convenience of eating out?
Probably not too long.
Quality Chicken Wings Matter
Buying good chicken wings means you may spend a bit of money however the savings from not buying them from the pizza shop is well worth the money.
At Costco, a massive family pack of chicken wings will cost you around $20.00 maybe less if they are on sale but you get a fair amount.
Everything you buy at Costco is in bulk and you get what I believe is premium products especially from their meat department.
Skip the tiny wings or wings with no tips as they will just shrivel up into nothing when you bake or deep-fry them.
You need to buy big juicy wings that will bake up nice and crispy but stay moist in the middle.
There are 3 parts to a chicken wing, the wingtip, wingette (middle) and the drumette which is the meaty part of the wing.
The smaller the chicken wings are the dryer they will be as there is less meat on them so always read what you are buying.
If we can find big chicken wings on sale or even 50% off at Zehrs, Food Basics or wherever we are grocery shopping we will buy them.
The idea is to find chicken wings that fit in your budget but aren’t a waste of time to bake and eat.
Buying Deep-Fried Chicken Wings vs. Making Baked Chicken Wings
Most people who tackle a basket of deep-fried wings at a restaurant tend to order a basket of 12 wings with dipping sauce and a side-dish.
Mrs CBB remembers when she was younger there was a restaurant close to her parent’s house that she would go to often.
The chicken wings at this restaurant were coated and deep-fried but so big and juicy and ONLY $0.25 each.
These days you can pay upwards of $0.75-$1.00 for each chicken wing you buy or $6-$8 per pound from a restaurant or pizza place.
That seems like quite a bit of money when you can just make your own crispy baked chicken wings at home in about an hour.
Oh and 1lb of chicken wings from a pizza shop will yield you no more than 10 wings, we’ve counted.
Types of Baked Chicken Wings
We have found that to make the best baked chicken wings we have to stick to simple baking techniques and then add dipping sauces on the side.
Two of our favourite keto baked chicken wings are;
- Spicy chicken wings (with Korean Spice or Franks Red Hot Sauce) – see below
- Garlic wings (this is what we made today for this recipe)
The idea is to bake your chicken wings so they are not loaded with sauces because you want to add them after they are crispy.
You can add dipping sauces on the side which is ideal but some people like their sauces coating their chicken wings before serving.
Either or is fine but to keep the crispiest texture dry bake them and then dip.
Favourite Keto Dips for Wings
Some of our favourite keto dips for crispy baked chicken wings are;
- Franks Red Hot Sauce
- Buster Rhinos Keto sugar-free BBQ sauce 10% off code for CBB fans. (Our favourites are Bourbon BBQ Sauce made with Stevia and Mild BBQ Sauce)
- Keto Mexican Cheesy Taco Dip
- Marinara sauce and stretchy mozzarella cheese. Keto is melt mozzarella in a pot with some butter, garlic and cream. How to make stretchy mozzarella (Not Keto) melted in a pot with a touch of cream or for those of you not on a keto diet peel two potatoes, cube, add water to cover in a pot, salt, then bring to a boil then reduce until tender, drain and rice or mash them. Add 1/2 stick of butter, 3/4 cups heavy cream, 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese. Stir until combined and stretchy.
- Homemade cheese sauce with 2 cups old cheddar, gruyere cheese, 1 cup heavy cream, 1/4 tsp xanthan gum (keto thickener), 1/2 stick of butter melted in a pot.
- Keto Avocado Garlic Mayonnaise
Cooking Chicken Wings In Oven
Probably two reasons people buy tasty chicken wings from a fast-food joint are because they are convenient and the other is they come across as complicated to make.
In reality, to make the best crispy baked chicken wings on the block all you need is an oven and forget about the deep-fryer.
The best way to bake chicken wings, in my opinion, is in the oven on a baking sheet, the quickest would be in the deep-fryer.
Cooking wings is not rocket science but what can be overwhelming is the process and watching to make sure they don’t burn.
Like anything homemade, you can’t just set it and forget it unless it’s being prepared in an insta-pot or crock-pot.
You have to spend time watching your recipe to make sure it’s cooking properly so you don’t end up with something for the trash.
How To Make Crispy Baked Chicken Wings
- 3lbs chicken wings
- 2 spring onions chopped
- 1 medium white onion sliced
- 8 cloves of minced or sliced garlic
- 1 tablespoons salt (add as desired)
- ¾ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons fresh black pepper
- 1 teaspoon pink or white salt
- Optional spices as desired.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees
- In a large mixing bowl add your chicken wings, along with all of the other ingredients and mix together to coat each chicken wing.
- Place separately on a tin-foil or Silpat lined baking sheet so they are easy to turn
- Put in the oven at 400 degrees for 5 minutes then lower to 350 degrees for 40 minutes or until crispy.
- You will want to turn them twice during baking to make sure all sides get crispy
- For the last 5 minutes, I set my oven to broil to crisp them up nicely.
- It's important to watch your chicken wings so they don't burn.
- Remove from oven and quickly put into a large metal bowl, add a bit of salt and toss.
- You can also use this time to add any sauces you'd like and toss then serve on a plate.
- Add your favourite dipping sauce and keto vegetables on the side, celery and radishes or kimchi
Serving Your Baked Crispy Chicken Wings
This chicken wing recipe can serve between 2-3 people unless you are a super wing lover and can eat them all.
It’s a versatile recipe so you can add and take away spices as you desire and in the end incorporate any sauces you’d like.
I use kitchen tongs when I flip my baked chicken wings at least 3 times during the process so they crisp up nicely.
Serve your baked chicken wings with your favourite dip and keto vegetables such as sliced celery, radishes, olives or even homemade keto kimchi (coming soon to the blog).
Discussion: What are your favourite flavours or dipping sauces to enjoy with your chicken wings?
I hope you enjoy our Keto Baked Chicken Wings and leave us a star rating and comments below.