If you have a crock-pot (also known as a slow cooker) and ask yourself what to cook in a crock pot besides beef stew, casseroles and soups you are not alone. There are many other easy recipe creations that you might never have thought of to cook in a crock-pot which even had me amazed.
I remember the first time a fan told me that she makes a cake in the crock-pot and I thought she was joking, but she was serious. Essentially, it’s because we don’t associate a crock-pot with sweet treats only savoury meals but if we use our imagination coupled with trial and error we never know what magic we can create in the CBB kitchen.
I am always on the hunt for new ideas to create slow cooking recipes to add to our recipe book so the wife and I can enjoy a meal without all the hassle and messy clean-up. If you have never ventured into the world of stew and you want to learn how to cook stew, today is your lucky day.
Crock-pot cooking, especially for men who don’t fancy cooking, this is one of the simplest ways to create easy recipes right in your own kitchen. You might even use this recipe to impress that special love in your life with a romantic meal served with a nice glass of wine or mug of beer.
This hearty beef stew eats like a meal and is perfect any night of the week or for a pot-luck party or family gathering. Last year I decided that we didn’t want to cook a traditional Easter dinner so I created an Easter dinner in the crock-pot which started from an idea that a fan gave me.
This is why I enjoy all the action in my nightly “What’s For Dinner” post on Facebook because we all toss recipes and ideas around and it helps me to think outside the box when I want to cook.
Although we only cook dinner for two when we make a meal we like to make a bit more for leftovers the next day. There’s something about convenience foods that turned us into a couple that really do enjoy homemade meals. You can’t buy that luxury in a box.
When you look for recipes that incorporate stew meat 99% of the time you will come up with a beef stew recipe. That is why I wanted to create my own so you could share this meal on your dinner table for your loved ones.
I was going to make a traditional Irish beef stew made with beer, mainly Guinness for a bold flavour but I had no Guinness beer in the house only Brava beer which I suppose I could have easily used in this recipe.
You don’t need to add the beer if you don’t enjoy the beer taste. I know many people who would prefer a tasty meal but without the depth that the beer would bring.
I made this beef stew for St. Patrick’s Day along with homemade soda bread to soak up all the beef juices which I adapted from a fans recipe. Finally to end the meal, for dessert a custard coffee cookie trifle.
Some of the best meat to slow cook in my opinion is a simple roast beef or beef chuck or any other cheaper cuts of meats because the retained moisture during the slow cooking process breaks down the meat so it is moist and juicy and falls apart.
You will also find pre-cut stewing beef at your local supermarket but you may pay a premium for this convenience. My crock-pot pulled pork literally fell apart when I removed the roast from the crock-pot which is what you want to happen.
If you don’t have alot of money in your grocery budget the crock-pot is a great way to buy the cheaper meats and yield top flavour and texture.
Things to cook with beef stew meat
- beef stew
- pasta sauce
- beef casserole
- beef chili
- beef and barley soup
- beef and potatoes
- beef and baked beans
- beef stroganoff
How To Make Crock-Pot Beef Stew
- Rival 6 1/2 Quart Crock-pot (this is what we have)
Beef Stew Ingredients
- 2 stalks of celery cut into 1/2 inch slices or 1 cup
- 5 carrots peeled and cut into 1 inch chunks
- 2 medium white or yellow onions peeled and chopped
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 6 medium potatoes peeled cut into 1 inch chunks
- 2lbs of stewing beef cut into 1 inch chunks (or whatever beef you chose to use)
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 3 cups beef broth
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 small can of diced tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons flour to dredge beef
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil to saute beef
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 or 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons of dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon dry thyme
- 1 tablespoon dry basil
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- In a bowl add your flour and paprika and mix.
- Add salt and pepper to your beef then dredge your beef cubes in the flour just to coat them
- In a hot skillet with the extra virgin olive oil add your beef and garlic and brown on all sides
- In your crock-pot layer the onions on the bottom, then add the celery, carrots, mushrooms and potatoes
- Add your cooked beef on top of your vegetables
- In the same pan heat up the butter, once melted add your tomato paste, tomatoes, red wine, beef broth, sugar, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, thyme, basil, pepper, parsley and cook for 3 minutes on medium heat then let simmer on low for 7-10 minutes so the flavours come together and reduce a bit. Add salt if desired to accommodate your tastes.
- Pour this mixture over your vegetables and beef , mix it all up then top with your bay leaves
- Turn the crock-pot on low for 8-9 hours or high 4-6 hours
- NOTE: Mix up the cornstarch and water and add to the crock pot the last hour to thicken the stew. If you notice the stew needs more liquid add 1/2 cup water if needed for desired level of juice.
- Remove bay leaves
- Serve with your favourite bread, buns or biscuits
Are you NEW to Canadian Budget Binder?
Do You Have A Question For Mr. CBB? The best way to get in touch with me is on Facebook
- Mr.CBB’s Stuffed Crepes With Lemon, Sugar And Yogurt (canadianbudgetbinder.com)
- Mr. CBB’s Meatless Sloppy Lentil Joes (canadianbudgetbinder.com)
- Mr.CBB’s Cheesy Ricotta Ball Soup (canadianbudgetbinder.com)
- Mr.CBB’s Spinach and Ricotta Fettuccine (canadianbudgetbinder.com)
- Making The Best Of What Is Available: My Grocery Shopping (canadianbudgetbinder.com)
- Mr.CBB’s Chocolate Chewy Big Bites (canadianbudgetbinder.com)