DON’T JUST DREAM ABOUT HAVING HOT BASIL PESTO CHEESE BISCUITS FROM THE OVEN, MAKE THEM RIGHT NOW.
Baking Christmas morning is not out of the question for me especially for these Basil Pesto Cheese Biscuits. I always like to find a balance between sweet and savoury foods to make for holiday celebrations such as Christmas and New Years Eve. This year I’ve decided to add something new to the menu that your guests can enjoy as a snack, for breakfast or used as a dunking vessel.
They are also great to GIVE.
Related: Cranberry Orange Biscotti
Each year I look forward to creating Christmas baskets for the teachers at my children’s school stuffing them with homemade goodies that I work on for months before the holidays. I believe that many people would rather enjoy something to eat than something they will never use.
The Christmas baskets this year include perogies, biscotti, chocolate truffles, peppermint melts, canned goods made from my garden and I will be adding my homemade basil pesto cheese biscuits to the basket.
The basil pesto cheese biscuit is light and full-flavoured with a crispy cheese topping that pairs well with my sweet and sour red pepper sauce. It doesn’t have to have a spread or a sauce either it’s so good to eat with pasta and dipped in stews.
Related: Homemade Basil Pesto
If you want to enjoy them one or two at a time you’ll be thrilled to learn that the basil pesto cheese biscuits get four stars for being able to freeze well.
Remove from the freezer and easily re-heat them in the oven for those last-minute guests that tend to pop around this time of year.
How to make Basil Pesto Cheese Biscuits
Basil Pesto Cheese Biscuits is one of those recipes that’s quick, easy and bakes in under 12 minutes. They are a great addition to anyone’s menu plan.
Prep time- 15 mins
Bake time- 10-12 mins(until golden brown)
Makes- 12 biscuits
Oven temp- 450F
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 3 tsps baking powder
- ¼ tsp cream of tartar
- ½ teaspoon onion salt
- ⅓ cup shortening
- ¼ cup basil pesto
- About ½ cup milk (just until it combines and dough comes away from the bowl)
- Finely shredded Parmesan cheese if desired
- Mix flour, baking powder, cream of tartar and onion salt until well combined.
- Cut in shortening and basil pesto until it looks like fine breadcrumbs.
- Stir in just enough milk so dough leaves side of bowl and forms a ball.
- Turn out onto well floured surface
- Knead lightly 10 times
- Now roll or pat to ½ inch thick and cut with a cookie or biscuit cutter in your desired shape (I used Christmas tree as it's more festive)
- Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake for 10-12 mins or until golden brown
These gorgeous basil pesto cheese biscuits can be served straight from the oven slathered with butter. If you’re in the mood for something that tastes like it was made in a bakery, try this recipe.
Please share this recipe with your friends if you think they might like it and please leave a review and tell me what you think. You can also pin the recipe on Pinterest and share on just about every social media outlet. Big Thanks.
Enter your email address on the home page to SUBSCRIBE to my blog. Once you subscribe you will be sent an email from me immediately which you need to open and approve the subscription in order to start receiving my daily blog post.
Note: Check your Junk Mail if you don’t see it or email me to check into your subscription status.
If you like FREE then click this link for my FREE Excel Budget Spreadsheet and lists. Check out my new Free Recipe Index Plus catch up on all the ways to save money in our Free Ultimate Grocery Shopping Guide.
- British Apple Cinnamon Pie Bars
- Banana Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies with 3 ingredients
- The Best Fudgy Brownies
- 5 ingredient simple Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Mr. CBB’s Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Raisin Cowboy Quickie Cookies