26 responses

1. Christie
    June 20, 2013

About the goat … Goats are very practical in areas that are rocky, steep or hilly. Trucks and tractors can’t get everywhere! I know there are places in California that use goats in areas like this as a means of fire prevention from the dried out grass in Summer.
    Another consideration : Compact soil. Trucks, tractors etc really compact the soil. ( This is really bad for you non gardeners). If you used tractors, you may then need to pay someone to aerate your soil.
    Finally, Mr. CBB …. Goats poop. If you don’t mow the lawn then you get to shovel goat poop!
    ~ Christie

• Canadianbudgetbinder
      June 20, 2013

I’ve read lots about goats the past couple of days. The photo in the post is one of many I have from my trip to Portugal. I guess you can’t win right? You either mow or scoop lol.. Thanks for dropping by Christie!

2. Jacob @ iheartbudgets
    June 20, 2013

Wow, impressive before and after. Well done. And though the goat is a novel and fun idea, those prices are NUTS!

• Canadianbudgetbinder
      June 20, 2013

Oh come Jacob.. just think with being a new dad again the goat might come in handy 😉 have a good one mate

• Katrina B
      June 20, 2013

Thanks Jacob, I had a great time doing it. How about raising your own goat? You gain a family pet and a lawn mower! 😉

3. mycanuckbuck
    June 20, 2013

I’ve always joked about renting a sheep! :) I think a push mower would be an easier way to keep your lawn in check in an environmentally friendly way than renting a goat – but not as much fun!

• Katrina B
      June 20, 2013

The goats have been used a lot on abandoned properties where taking a push mower in can even be risky because you have no idea what is in the grass/weeds. I agree too though that watching the goats do their work would be more enjoyable! :)

4. Christine Weadick
    June 20, 2013

This looks awesome Katrina!!! I can’t believe how much better it looks now!!! You hit a point that I get to argue with hubby about…. he likes things to look nice and full right away!!!!! I read the tags to see how big the plant will get so I can space them better…….. drives him nuts!!! It can be a real trick to hold him back…..I still remember planting one of the raised beds, there were 2 daylilies, 3 shasta- Alaska, a Lupine and 3 little Sweet Williams. I had them all nicely spaced to allow for growth… first thing out of his mouth when he saw it…. “Are you sure you got enough plants??? We can get more plants if you want… do you want to get more plants..wecangetmoreplantsdoyouwanttogetmoreplants…” I finally told him No…once I could get a word in edgewise…. give them a month or two…they will grow….He was clearly not happy about waiting. The Shastas alone had been 4″ pots and I had spaced them in a loose triangle about 15-18 inches apart, 6 weeks later they were one big clump a couple of feet across and 3 ft high…. My daylilies are huge right now. They, along with the shastas have been divided once already and need it again. He has finally learned to wait for things to grow….. I think……

• Katrina B
      June 20, 2013

Thanks Christine, it was a fun job to do! If your husband wants them to look full right away tell him he’s the one who can go out in a few months and start transplanting! 😉

• Christine Weadick
        June 20, 2013

Katrina… I’m not sure the plants would appreciate that!!!! There are some very good reasons why he is not allowed in the garden besides the fact he will over plant!!! His idea for overcrowding in plants is to rip everything out by it’s poor roots!!!! He’s not subtle at all that boy….. I don’t even dare to let him loose to weed without supervision!!!

5. Katrina B
    June 20, 2013

I must note an error…Mary was very much involved in this project, she wouldn’t quit! A remarkable woman :)

6. donna pierce
    June 21, 2013

Wow ! Awsome job !!! You are very talented. Hey ! I’m in U.S.A. Maby I need to start a rent a goat business . That’s some serious money they make. 😀

• Katrina B
      June 24, 2013

Thank you Donna!! It’s crazy money! I love how they only work from 9-5! lol

7. Kim@Eyesonthedollar
    June 21, 2013

I would love, love, love a goat, but my husband won’t let me have one. All the dogs I want, but no goats! Maybe I could talk him into it if we could rent them out and make some money!

• Canadianbudgetbinder
      June 21, 2013

That and tell him no mowing the lawn and automatic fertilization….. you can’t go wrong with a goat , it’s like money in your pocket!!! 😉

8. Terry Sprouse
    June 21, 2013

Amazing job on the landscapting. Looking at the before and after pictures, its hard to believe its the same yard. The greas looks beautiful.

I particularly liked the backyard improvements shown in the first 2 pictures.

My wife and I did the landscaping on our yard too.

Yet, because we live in an arid area, we did just the opposite of you. We removed the grass and most of the vegetation from the yard and replaced it with decorative rocks, in order to reduce water use. And, we channeled runoff water from the roof to few trees and bushes that we have.

• Katrina B
      June 24, 2013

Thank you Terry. You have to adapt to your climate, it certainly makes it easier! Great use of your rainwater too :)

9. Debt RoundUp
    June 21, 2013

Great tips. I love reusing materials to gain something. There is nothing wrong with that. I think the pictures show that a lot of things can be done. I have heard about renting a goat, but I don’t think I would need that at my house.

• Katrina B
      June 24, 2013

I don’t think I would need one either, but what a great idea for abandoned properties where you wouldn’t want to take a machine in because you don’t know what’s in the grass? Goats do not eat everything, as many say but they could cut back the grass to expose the refuse and avoid damage to mowers. This property didn’t require goats and was a pleasure to do. Thank you for reading :)

10. Marissa (@Thirtysixmonths)
    June 21, 2013

That looks great! It reminds me that I need to go tend my flower garden this weekend.

• Katrina B
      June 24, 2013

Thank you. Weekends passed now lol, how did the gardening go?

11. Christine @ ThePursuitofGreen
    June 21, 2013

Thank you submitting your article to my blog carnival. I’ve included it in today’s post:
    Friday Blog Carnival Time

Love the renting goats part!

• Canadianbudgetbinder
      June 21, 2013

Thanks for letting me know. I normally add the link in tomorrow’s post. :)

12. theoutliermodel
    June 22, 2013

Nice landscaping job! I don’t think I’ll be renting a goat any time soon but it’s pretty cool that there are people out there doing that. Definitely an outside-of-the-box idea.

• Canadianbudgetbinder
      June 22, 2013

I guess it’s the best of both worlds lol..

• Katrina B
      June 24, 2013

Thank you :) I first read about the goat rentals about a year ago and that it was I thought!