Week: February 13-19
We will not Shop, We will not Shop, We will not Shop
Like usual I open the front door and there upon the mound of snow is our weekly flyers. I’m still confused why she avoids the mailbox which is clearly hanging on the wall. Perhaps, she just doesn’t care that my flyers are soaking wet.
Changes to our grocery budget in February,2012 has us committed to a “Shop Free” week once a month. The grocery game is a system we use to keep the budget in check. Shop Free week has arrived for us and it’s bitter-sweet.
Gazing into the refrigerator I’m amazed to see temperature controls on the back wall. I typically brace for explosion with produce, condiments and beverages. Now that we’ve taken it down a notch it makes me realize how little we need to make it through the week.
Our Discovery…….Shop for what you need now, not what you think you will need.
- Less Food=Less Waste= More Money for the BUDGET
You know when you’re at the grocery store and you convince yourself you need ( insert product here). We’ll use Mangos.
Reasoning would be …
- It’s so hot outside and I can make some amazing blender drinks with this
- You see yourself on the deck, sunglasses on, BBQ smoking and a frosty smoothie with a mini umbrella hanging out the top
- Your friends are cheering you on for becoming the best Blender Queen or King in your circle (not all guys like just beer)
- You then find that mango still in the refrigerator weeks later
- It’s hanging on for dear life as no one has paid attention to this luscious fruit
- You now have to toss it in the bin and you are likely out $1.00-$2.00 a mango
- Yeah you all know you’ve done this, it’s the dreaming demon in your mind when shopping
- This demon can eat up your budget, and fast, even with coupons
It was time to give our heads a shake, slap or bang. It worked!
Along with saving money a couple other great tips from livingafrugallife are;
- using up what you already have- This is a good way to make sure your pantry items get used before expiry dates.
- Adds creativity to cooking-A good point because one tends to open up the creative field when the usual items are unavailable.
What other tips do you have for a shop free week?
Photo compliments of:Copyright (c) <a href=’http://www.123rf.com’>123RF Stock Photos</a>